View Poll Results: best new driver training method...
team driving 3 12.50%
trainer stays in jump seat 21 87.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default the best way to train new drivers

is the best way to train new drivers running team??? or trainer stays in jumpseat the whole time??? i think it would be the trainer stays in the jumpseat the whole time... how about y'all :rock:
Old 02-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Senior Board Member

IMHO the only way to train is for the trainer to be awake and alert and there is no way to do that running team miles. During the last week of training the trainer could go to the sleeper to give the trainee more of a sense of being in charge of the truck, but still needs to be awake and ready at a seconds notice.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Board Member

is that a trick question every one learns differently no one set way. hopefully at least theirs is an experienced trainer to guide you through the process who is patient and knowlageble.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:18 AM

Trainers are supposed to be there to train, not suck up the trainees miles like a team operation. My first trainer was getting paid all the miles to the truck and trainers pay on top. After the first couple of days in the truck, he says "wake me if you run into any problems." and crawls in the bunk. I said "if I run into any problems, you might not wake up." Then he'd jump my a$$ if I didn't get as far as he thought I should or asked a question he thought I should already know the answer to. I told the company but he was one of their "top" trainers, so they blew me off. One day at the home terminal, he threatened to hit me with a tire billy (to equalize the size difference between me and him he said) in front of some other drivers. I told him I'd break both his arms and he'd be eating from a tube the rest of his short life, he had the gall to try get me kicked off his truck as being untrainable. I ended up with a new trainer and he got fired. Sorry about the rant, I just have my own ideas about what a "trainer" should and shouldn't do.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Board Member

The problem here is that EVERYONE knows the answer to this question. The OTHER problem is that no one can admit that its the "FREE TRAINING" aspect that has caused most if not all of this. These companies have just decided to use the training funnel, they pour litterally thousands of people into the funnel, if a couple of drivers plop out of the end they are just as well off. The company wins whether or not the student driver quits or stays. They get a FREE team to make team runs for litterally HALF of what a regular team gets and if the student quits they do not have tp pay for the training. They have also convinced other drivers who are starving to death that the "only way" to make more money is to become a trainer.... what a great way to pick the best drivers for trainers.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The only way to learn to drive a truck is to sit behind the wheel. A good trainer should be able to talk you through most any situation, but allow you to do the work. Hands on the the best teacher. These guys who get in the sleeper with a new inexperienced driver need their heads examined. :shock:
Old 02-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Rookie
Default training

The trainers who are in it for the money need to do something else. I train because I like having someone on the truck for company and I enjoy helping people. I also feel that trainers should have to demonstrate some level of knowledge and ability to explain things in order to be a trainer. I have only been training foir a few months but I do it because I want to, its not a money thing
Old 02-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I've been a trainer.

Think about it. Who does the training if the "trainer" is sleeping? It's the job of the trainer to coach the trainee. I've never learned how to do that by sleeping. If you don't have your eyes open, you don't see when the trainee makes a mistake and it does not get corrected without damage to property and other things. I have split the driving, but I really burned up the hours because I was up for both shifts. Running team is NOT training.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by navguy05
Trainers are supposed to be there to train, not suck up the trainees miles like a team operation. My first trainer was getting paid all the miles to the truck and trainers pay on top. After the first couple of days in the truck, he says "wake me if you run into any problems." and crawls in the bunk. I said "if I run into any problems, you might not wake up." Then he'd jump my a$$ if I didn't get as far as he thought I should or asked a question he thought I should already know the answer to. I told the company but he was one of their "top" trainers, so they blew me off. One day at the home terminal, he threatened to hit me with a tire billy (to equalize the size difference between me and him he said) in front of some other drivers. I told him I'd break both his arms and he'd be eating from a tube the rest of his short life, he had the gall to try get me kicked off his truck as being untrainable. I ended up with a new trainer and he got fired. Sorry about the rant, I just have my own ideas about what a "trainer" should and shouldn't do.
May I ask... WHAT MADE YOU WAIT THAT LONG?????

Old 02-04-2006, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
I've been a trainer.

Think about it. Who does the training if the "trainer" is sleeping? It's the job of the trainer to coach the trainee. I've never learned how to do that by sleeping. If you don't have your eyes open, you don't see when the trainee makes a mistake and it does not get corrected without damage to property and other things. I have split the driving, but I really burned up the hours because I was up for both shifts. Running team is NOT training.
I was a trainer for quite a few years. The first time was for a propane hauling outfit in California. First OTR training was for a fleet out of Omaha It wasn't bad at all. I was not really prepared that well to train people to drive in that climate, but I trained people in the military and to scuba dive in the civilian world. I then trained for a medium sized fleet out of Green Bay. It was the BEST that I ever worked for. They actually spent money to train the trainers and absorbed the costs to train their new drivers. We did NOT team drive AT ALL! All runs were solo runs and the students were ready to roll in 3-4 weeks od REAL training. By the third week they had accomplished everything that they would experience with the loads that we hauled and the areas' we ran. If the student was having problems (backing normally), they were sent to run with the local trainer in the Milwaukee-Chicago area. The trainers were all sent to the 40 hour train the instructor course before being allowed to train anyone. I went to the trucking school after that and became a third party examiner for the state later. I got spoiled to being able to train. I went back to the big fleet out of Omaha and tried to train there again. It was extremely dissapointing to say the least. When the two week window is up, they basically demand that you run as a full team. I will not run as a team with a student period. I just simply got tired of trying to train in that silly situation. It's their loss :P