View Poll Results: best new driver training method...
team driving 3 12.50%
trainer stays in jump seat 21 87.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 07:20 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Windtalker, That was 1995 and I was young, new to trucking, wanted to learn everything I could and didn't want to make alot of waves. Now, I'm old, cranky, and have SOME experience. I say some because I still try to learn something everyday. One thing that guy did do for me was taught me how not to train people. Even a bad situation can turn into a valuable tool for later on. I took what he did to me and turned it around when I was instructing at a driving school.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:33 AM

ok now that we got quite a few opinions in the poll....now let me ask this ...if team driving is not a very effective means of training why is it carriers are allowed to do it....i too think it probly is not a good way to train....but sadly i beleive i will soon be taught this way :sad: :roll:
Old 02-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger35120
ok now that we got quite a few opinions in the poll....now let me ask this ...if team driving is not a very effective means of training why is it carriers are allowed to do it....i too think it probly is not a good way to train....but sadly i beleive i will soon be taught this way :sad: :roll:
"Allowed" doesn''t even enter the picture, the mega carriers have decided to do this to recoup the money that they have spent on this idiotic tuition reimbursement scam. Ask yourself if you'd be satisfied if your children were taught this way. The teacher enters the classroom. piles some books on a desk and then goes to the back of the classroom and sleeps. and of course we'd have to add that the the classroom were moving down the higway at 60+
Old 02-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member

I would have to agree with Fozzy, Windwalker and GMAN on this. I have never been a trainer in the trucking industry and I may never be, but I have been a manager for several years and even taught a few computer classes. What I've found is that people learn by not only hands-on, but hands-on with guidance. If the person who is supposed to be there for guidance is sleeping I fail to see how that is beneficial to the trainee. I can see, however, how the team miles would benefit the company. Unless the trainee is going on to team trucking environment, what could he possibly learn from the trainer sleeping?
Old 02-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The only way to learn to drive a truck is to sit behind the wheel. A good trainer should be able to talk you through most any situation, but allow you to do the work. Hands on the the best teacher. These guys who get in the sleeper with a new inexperienced driver need their heads examined. :shock:
I agree. Although some things can be shown in demonstrations, it is best to learn behind the wheel.

For those that do not know of me, I have taught at least 200 people how to drive Tractor/Trailers.

GMAN. They do examine their heads, as well as their bodies. They do it at the morgue and the examinations are called autopsy's.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:08 AM
Senior Board Member