User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Let it drop. It was just another person who, for some reason, got their feelings hurt way too easy....

Old 11-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
:idea: Wonder if this guy was any relation to Road Runner!! :P
Wonder if he ever found a job? lol

........... as the "class A soap opera" world turns.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
:idea: Wonder if this guy was any relation to Road Runner!! :P
Wonder if he ever found a job? lol

........... as the "class A soap opera" world turns.
Actually, he DID!! Thanks to Your's Truly!!

I have a friend who is an O/O, and I was able to get him a job as a "Truck Driver's Assistant Trainee"!! His job is to sit on top of the trailer and keep a lookout for low clearance overpasses and low hanging tree limbs!! :P
Old 11-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Rookie

Is the code word "Ouch!"
Old 11-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Rookie

Glow Bug - you are a cry baby.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglymutt
Littleman2 and Rokk, I do have a verifying letter of unemployment, my wife owns her own business and is self employed and works out of the house and when a recruiter calls they call her business because its the only phone I use at home, but they all said that self employment don't count
Self employment as covered by proper documentation is no problem. I was self employed for almost 10 years.......and I never have had a single problem getting a job in this industry.

Quote:
all the time in my gaps I just stayed home and helped the wife and I never got paid,
And that is precisely where the problem crops up. You do not have the necessary documentation to cover that "gap". Sir, that is either the case or you have a "skeleton" in your closet that you are keeping hidden.

I sold off three businesses, then literally took SIX months off while deciding what I was going to do..... Why is it that I had absolutely no problem getting hired, just by having my attorney write a letter stating that he knew I was unemployed during that period of time, and that he knew that I had not run afoul of the law, and I also went to the County Courthouse and got criminal checks run on myself that I included with the application..... I got hired, so ....... ??

Quote:
she is my wife and we share the household, these trucking companies say they want a stronger work background because I have only been employed the last few years by temp agencies that its not good enough or strong enough for them to accept me... if they would go back 20 years and see I spent 13 years solid in a Sawmill and made $1300 gross every 2 weeks and I called in sick once in 13 years then I can show them I can work solid but since they only see these temp agencies and gaps they assume I am a loser and can't keep a job, I tried to explain to them my wife OWNS her own business and supports the household but they see that as self employed and that don't count and if she can verify I was home it still don't count.....
What your wife does or does not do....is not germain to the issue. I think what your problem is, is this: You have more than one gap in your employment history, and you cannot account for them, period. And unless you can "fill in the blanks".....you are going to continue to hit a blank wall.
If you worked for your wife, she should be able to certify that you were her employee....without that, no go. Without proof, no-one is going to hire you....even outside of trucking. Because barring your filling the gaps... it leaves the suspicion that you have a felony record and jail time, and you are trying to hide it.

Insofar as self employment.... I was an employee of my corporations, so I had W-2's to prove I worked, and I had the tax filings to go with it.

Apparently what you are failing to understand is this: No-one is going to put you in a $100,000.00 tractor, pulling a $50,000 trailer with $500,000 to $1,000,000 + valued frieght, without knowing everything that they have to know.....and this information is required by the US DOT, so its not just the companies.

Quote:
I am confused as to why one must work until the day you go off to their orientation and quit your job that day...., I am unemployed now after graduating CDL school and have not worked because I have not been hired yet, so if I go get a job and work it until I get hired its not fair to the employer that I work 2 weeks and leave..... I am going to try to get on with companies with less than 20 trucks and stay away from the BIG companies that only hire someone with a trucking job that they can quit...
Good Luck in your job search....but do not be surprised if you run into the same wall...... they have the same requirements for information gathering as any other trucking company. Your best bet is to get your act together, get your paperwork together and do some CYA....and stop trying to lay the problem off on others.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Okay I got the gaps all done.... had one company that just wanted a phone numbers to call and another company that just wanted letters from friends or anybody, could even be someone that don't really know me they said just to fill in the gaps.... So I did all that, had a preacher and a sheriff deputy and even the lady at the post office so that's all done.....

As to Skywalker talking about skeletons in the closet, well yes I do , I guess its time to get rid of the neighbor's bones and throw them away , I hid them long enough......Well I really don't have nothing to hide so where you come up with that is really strange I wonder about you.... plus you state that I might have a felony and jail time, hmm Well DAC says I don't and my FBI Background check says I don't so I guess that's it I don't have felonies.... never been in jail before so I guess during my gaps ... lets see I went fishing , and I worked at removing concrete from the driveway and I mowed the lawn and I even went to a bar to drink Pepsi and watch my friends in the band play.... nope I didn't get thrown in jail during all of that. Sure wish I had a police record to speak of but I can't seem to find one in any state, bummer I guess being good pays in the long run somehow......

Also stated was I am laying the problem onto others , well not really I was just trying to explain this is all ludicrous... I know that DAC can run my Social Security Number and have a police record with nothing on it and an employment history with the names of the businesses and the times I worked and even how much I was paid so I just find it odd that I can't verify why I was unemployed but someone that could, can possibly lie on paper is good enough, think about it how hard would it be to say " oh yeah I was fishing with Joe for 2 weeks " and really we were doing lot lizards!!!!! Why I can't say I was home being a good boy but yet my preacher says I was in church every week is good enough for the companies to hire me, maybe the preacher lied and thought that was me in the back row... so this is just ludicrous to me is all I was saying.....

I do know that DOT requires it but the reasons behind how they verify it is silly, I went fishing with Joe and ohhh Joe was my neighbor, until he went missing..... no not really..... no bones about it.....I got the gap under control, more so than ever, I got so far 9 letters for the 3 gaps I had in 5 years of my life which all three add up to about 4 months of my life and I was MIA but not no more, I know where I was and now everyone else can read the letters and decide that too... Thanks too all my friends that know I was unemployed and even know why and how long, thanks for writing those nice letters....this solved the problem.....No gaps at all....

Now the problem with my wife is they only except proof from non family members, so even though I worked for my wife free of charge that's not proof of me being home, so I got her clients now who are going to write letters saying I was home working in the office as well so having proof that I worked at home with the wife is covered, I was not an actual employee with taxes taken out of my dinner and clean laundry so I still find this all funny , so thanks too all that wished me luck and do take care and be safe driving.....

Now we all know there's gaps in everything , that's how the light gets in....

:P
Old 11-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Rookie

I'm new to the forum and am looking into OTR.... But as I read this, I get the impression that employment history is important...... hee is my situation..... I was self employed and owned a business for over years, sold out, and then took a job as a bartender/manager for a few months...... Money was very good and stayed 4 years...... But one problem I did have was that my employer garnished my check for child support, as he was court ordered to do so, but he then didn't send it until after I lost my driving privlages. This happened 3 xxx...... Ok, why did I stay? Because the money was very good. Better then what I will ever earn driving OTR. I loved the job, hated him.

I fianllly left him about a year ago. I recieved unemployment for most of last year. Plus i lived off my savings.
I am now considering trucking.
I have one small speeding ticket in 1999.
I have 3 suspensions due to the circumstances I just stated. They are financial suspensions only.
Work history is tough...... I was self employed except the past 5 years. I will have a hard time using my employer as a reference because he is currently being sued by me for all the past wages that were unpaid.

How will they view the suspensions and the self employed work history? The funny thing is I have always been self motivated and my life has never been just about money.......
I am divorced, my children live all over the world , and my other family live 1000 miles away....... I can relocate. I don't even want much time off..... I have drove 50,000 miles a year thru the 80's in an automobile, so i fully understand the basic workings of OTR. I loved it. Trucking has always been a dream.
Do I stand a chance?