View Poll Results: I think the question of trucking pets can attract it's own form here on CAD.
or post reasons why you trucking with pets may not be a good idea. 2 13.33%
Post your pet stories and lets find out. 13 86.67%
And don't forget to give the reasons why. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

When I do take my dog I ALWAYS walk it far away from the lot and other trucks. I carry plastic bags with me and clean up the remains. I care about leaving an area clean.
As for myself I am very particular about the cleanliness of the inside of my truck. After all I do spend most of my time in there whether the dog's with me or not on a trip. I am always picking up pieces of paper or such when walking through the truck lots. I hate when people are too lazy to throw something in the trash, especially when they walk right by a trash can. I even told people so. I'm sure there are women truckers who can talk a blue streak just like male drivers. To each his or her own. I don't myself and I don't categorize all male drivers as being that way either just because of a few. I know better that that. Drive safe everyone.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

extra benifit with pets is in new york where they are strict about idling trucks, we have to make sure pets are comfortable so we are allowed to idle. animals are treated better than drivers there.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:31 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate1577
Its bad enough that lazy fat ass drivers cant haul their "Country Pride Gut" to the bathroom and just piss all over the parking or cant walk the 10 feet to a garbage can to toss their trash but instead just throw it out the window lot but now you have to deal with the same lazy fat assed drivers who let their animals piss and crap all over the parking lot at a truck stop.

Oh and I'm sure everyone with a pet ALWAYS cleans up after their pet and has never opened their door to piss all over a parking lot.

I talked to a O/O with our company who met another O/O with the company who kept 7 cats in their truck.

Good Grief! The smell must have been incredible. But if you live in filth 24/7 I guess the smell isnt so offensive after awhile.

Next time you catch some dog taking a leak on your truck, just mace the owner.
If these guys have this attitude about pets and their owners, imagine the attitude they have about 4 wheeelers on the raod...can you say road rage?? :shock:
Old 04-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I checked with 7 vets around my area, and NONE of them have heard of what either one of you said....They even make vinyl car seats for dogs, for craps sake. I think the biggest problem is, neither one of your companies allows pets. so, you're both just jealous....
I couldnt care one way or another if we allow pets or not. Out of the 200 or so drivers I hire a year, I maybe lose one driver because we dont allow pets. No big deal. I just personally think its cruel. And really if you ask me, its kind of silly to want to take a pet to work. Here is the strange thing, I find that the one driver a year who wont take any job without allowing their pets dont care one bit about pay. It doesnt matter how much you offer them, they wont take the job. Example....a driver is offered 2 jobs. One pays 40cpm and doesnt allow pets. One pays 28cpm and does allow pets. That rare driver will take the 28cpm job every time. I find that hilarious. Personally, If I ran this company, I would allow pets but I would pay those drivers 10cpm less. I guarantee, those drivers who dont care about pay, would then take those jobs.
I dont get to take my pet to work either and you dont hear me whining. And before you say "Well you get to go home every night" I have had plenty of jobs where Im gone from home two weeks or more at a time, It never even crossed my mind to take my dog. In fact if it came down to having a dog or accepting a good job that I wanted, I would take the job everytime.

Ive always wondered, My good freind is a freight pilot, hes gone from home even more than a driver....I wonder why you never hear people like him complaining that he cant take a dog with him on the jets he is flying?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Ive always wondered, My good freind is a freight pilot, hes gone from home even more than a driver....I wonder why you never hear people like him complaining that he cant take a dog with him on the jets he is flying?
That would be an interesting flight. :shock: :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
And really if you ask me, its kind of silly to want to take a pet to work.
If i worked 8-5 and came home every night, then I would agree.
and as a recruiter, you should know this isn't right.

Quote:
Here is the strange thing, I find that the one driver a year who wont take any job without allowing their pets dont care one bit about pay. It doesnt matter how much you offer them, they wont take the job. Example....a driver is offered 2 jobs. One pays 40cpm and doesnt allow pets. One pays 28cpm and does allow pets. That rare driver will take the 28cpm job every time. I find that hilarious.
If a trucking company cared about their emplyees, paying them well, AND making them happy would be a top priority, I'd think.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If a trucking company cared about their emplyees, paying them well, AND making them happy would be a top priority, I'd think.
Actually the top priority of any company is keeping the CUSTOMER happy. And like I said in my earlier post. The reason we dont allow pets anymore is because of too many CUSTOMER complaints. The drivers were warned many times and they didnt change. So we stopped allowing pets. No company is going to risk losing a customer because the driver doesnt follow an order.
As far as allowing pets to "keep the driver happy". I cant find a lot more drivers who dont want to allow pets than absolutely wont drive for a company that doesnt allow pets. We are keeping the drivers happy, its just the drivers who are allergic to dogs and dont want to end up in a truck that had a dog in it before.
So we have 3 types of people in this debate, Driver who wants dogs,Driver who doesnt want dogs and Customer.
Driver who doesnt want dogs= Happy
Customer who doesnt want dogs= happy
Driver who wants dogs= not happy.
2 out of 3 people happy is a good business decision.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Board Regular

I proudly take my little girl with me when we are out on the road. Sheepdancer, I we are two (we team) that choose not to go with JB Hunt because of the pet policy. She loves that truck. I'm off the truck right now, going back soon. I took my other half to his truck one day, and she was trying to get up in because she wanted to go. And your truck won't smell as long as you take care of your pet. Whenever we are home or in a hotel room, my "daughter" always gets a bath. And those who just let their pets Pi$$ or $hit in the truck are lazy hogs. We both get out and walk her. I also carry baggies to pick up her "deposits". As always, it is idiots who ruin it for everyone else.

There is nothing like having one of your best friends by your side.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member