no 49 67.12%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ooooohhhhhh big and loud chrome straight pipes..........
Ooooohhhhhh gotta run that jake...................
Yippieeeeeeeee staring at a dogs azz all day..........
Wonder where I can find a forum for dump truck drivers???? :roll: :roll:
Old 10-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Senior Board Member

You know what they say about MACK drivers. One azz looking at another azz. lol They should start a forum for dump truck drivers

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-13-2005, 12:28 AM

Always has been a tad bit of tension between OTR drivers, and Dump truckers. I'll say this; if the majority of you "so-called truck drivers" had learned to operate a tractor of your choice, and efficiently manuever a 25' Rogers dump trailer, we dumpers wouldn't laugh at you snake steering "truckers" when you attempt to bump a dock. (sometimes I do this on my lunch break -watch these "super truckers" straight back up to our plant dock...pure comedy in most cases" Oh wait, you manuever through rush hour traffic, fall off mountains, etc. Do that with a lowboy, riggers out, dragging a CAT 345 B track-hoe behind you. Sure, some of you have...then you know....

Then there is the matter of operating a tri-axle dump.....some of you would scare me even considering getting near one of these. Definitely different skill than big road running, jawing at other BIG company drivers, and building yourselves up in truckstops, with stories of ......yea. Say you're not all like that? We're not all "dirt dummies" either.

Anyways. I probably shouldn't have said a word. I do take offense to "dirt dummie" however.

I shift with my Jake on. I drive a Mack Granite, or an Autocar most of the time. Both trucks have a "dead spot" in their throttle -right at the top. I simply let it get there, and make a smooth shift. But, if I want to impress a BIG TRUCK driver, I'll burp it. :P :roll:

Old 10-13-2005, 01:07 AM

I only use it with a heavy load, or during mountain driving. I always turn it off when I will be doing alot of shifting because it drops the rpm's too fast for me, which interferes with shifting. Jake is a great tool for slowing; leaving it on all of the time is a matter of personal preference, but not mine.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Board Regular

I also used to drive dump truck, I loved it, way better than pulling some stupid van trailer. Only reason I'm not doing it right now, is, i want year round work, and there is no dump truck work in winter around here!!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:09 AM
Board Regular

There's no need to take your foot completely off the fuel pedal when
shifting. You only want the rpm's to raise/drop enough to go into the desired gear not engage the jake. Sounds like somebody needs to practice shifting :lol:
Old 10-14-2005, 02:36 AM
Default jake shifting.

Just to play devils advocate here a minute. Have any of you who's jakes come on when you take your foot off the fuel and run with them on all of the time considered that you are now slowing down and the people behind you don't,( because there ain't any ), see any brake lights to give them any warning. I run with mine on all of the time too, except when the weather or the noise laws say otherwise, but I have to hit my brakes just enough to turn on the brake lights for them to come on. Just think about that the next time your HRRUMPing up to the stop sign on flat ground empty.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:44 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

What kinds of trucks are you people driving? I am currently in an international , was in a volvo, driven a couple of freightliners as well and on all of the above, even if the jake is/was turned on it will cut off when your foot is on the throttle, when it is out of gear or when you hit the clutch. I dont realy see how thw jake ever really comes on at all when you are shifting if you have a truck like that....besides that, whats the point anyways. Everybody and their brother thinks you have to use the jake brake for every driving situation now anyways......You dont really even need the damn thing in the city. Way back when, most of the time you didnt even get one unless you were a heavy mountain driver.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:56 AM

I leave mine on because of how they work with the cruise control.

My engine brakes have 4 levels: intermittent low, intermitent high, steady low and steady high. If my cruise is set to say 60 mph and I start down a downgrade, the jakes come on at level 1 around 63, level 2 around 65, level 3 around 67, and level 4 around 69.

If I'm driving through hilly areas, like the foothills of mountains (though not mountains themselves), the jakes act in concert with the cruise control to keep me at a relatively steady speed.

Even with mountains, I use them sometimes. Like... if the road is marked 50 mph for trucks because of grade, I might downshift into 9th and then set my cruise at around 45. The cruise/jakes combinaiton will generally keep me between 45-55 or so up to about 30000 lb load (higher loads, I prefer to do manually though - as of coruse I do *every* load if the road's wet).

I do turn them off when the road has signs making them illegal, and when I get off the interstate in general, or approaching tollbooths - anytime they're likely to be an annoyance to others.

But while they're "on" most of the time, they don't actually kick on unless my speed goes too high... or if I specifically turn them on my hitting the service brake (which keeps them "on" until I hit the accelerator... or better yet, flip the cruise control back on).
Old 10-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member

the best time to "annoy" someone is like when u get a rude toll collector who's had a bad day and taking it out on everyone else....thats when u Nail the gas and leave it on in between shifts...hehhe