User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
dirt dummies what you mean dummies it does take alot of skill to drive a dump truck taking it off road on un level ground in soft mud. Try keeping inside a paver when your going around turns dumping blacktop with out drafting out and spilling 5 ton on the ground. You OTR trucks dont even see off the road your on the blacktop all the time. It is more likely that a dump truck driver could out shift an OTR driver just for the fact Dump truck drivers shifts alot more during the day. With stop and go traffic. dump trucks aint on the turn pike for hours on end in high gear.
Mack you sound like one of my dumass friend I used to be friends with his dad had his own dump truck. He pretty much said the same thing to me onetime. I have alot of respect for some one you guys I rode with his dad a few times. And your right its a hole different story going through arrow streets with a 20ft vehical. I have done that. I wanted to drive dump trucks but theirs know money in it only if you own your own trucks and not just one. And it's to seasonal. But I have to argee with you I never used a jake brake hope to when I start driving cause it going to be used alot. Also I love to hear the jake break it sounds really good to me like music to my ears. Most trucks sound really good other sound like shit.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
dirt dummies what you mean dummies it does take alot of skill to drive a dump truck taking it off road on un level ground in soft mud. Try keeping inside a paver when your going around turns dumping blacktop with out drafting out and spilling 5 ton on the ground. You OTR trucks dont even see off the road your on the blacktop all the time. It is more likely that a dump truck driver could out shift an OTR driver just for the fact Dump truck drivers shifts alot more during the day. With stop and go traffic. dump trucks aint on the turn pike for hours on end in high gear.
Mack you must not realize it but there are a few of us who do go off road and you must not have ever asked any of us, maybe not every day but quite on we do.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

there is money in dump trucks. They will start you out at a higher pay the OTR i looked at swift and there training pay is 350 then 400 and 500 something like that for the first 6 weeks that ain't no money once you take tax's out. There is more money in OTR yes if you have alot of exp. and never go home. I made alittle over 40k last year with alot of over time all most 55-60 hr weeks and alot of drivers are paid hourly so we get time and 1/2 over 40. i get laid off in the winter but only for like 4-5 weeks. With my last post i didn't mean to put down OTR drivers I see you guys out there with your 53footers and big sleepers in the city it ain't easy. All i was trying to say is all of truck driving weather it be local or OTR it all takes some skill.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-12-2005, 02:22 AM
Board Regular

Well dont get me wrong I would love to drive them. But 40 grand a year is just not enough for me. I plan on going with a dump trailer company in about a year or so. I would love to drive a dump trailer.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

dump trailer you are allmost 100% chance your going to get liad off in the winter and them things will tip over in your on any un level ground what so ever. I never seen one tip seen one come close one time but i hread storys. You have to get out with a level and check frist LOL

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 AM
Board Regular

Well this company around here seems to run all the time they haul alot of coal and some other things not for sher. And are always hiring that my be a sign not to go their. Sorry for change the subject.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

yeah I upshift with the jake on, so what its not like its hurting anything, I got used to doing it when i was in dump trucks and stuff running around in town flippin it on and off, I dont need to wait for it to pull the rpm`s down, in my truck it turns off at 1000 rpm give or take a little and I`ve got enough snot under hood I can short shift it around 1000 when i`m rowing the gears so it doesnt come on upshifting.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member

I allways left mine on, I drove a newer 387. You had to completely take your foot of the accelerator for the jake to kick in. I just got used to ever so slightly keeping my foot on the accelerator while up shifting (rpm's would drop the same as when my foot was completely off). When the jake is used to can barely hear it, you feel it more than you hear it. So I used it every time I was slowing down. I agree though it's annoying to hear someone using the jake every time they slow down. If no one can hear it no foul right?

Old 10-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Board Regular

I usually shift with it off, unless i forget to turn it off, then i usually notice when is screws up my shift's. Other times i can shift perfect even with it on though, kinda weird.

I also love dump trucks and dump trailers, hopefully i will be pulling a 4-6 axle end dump soon. Way better than van's, i hate van's!!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Senior Board Member

If you use the Jakes to assist in getting into another gear, not only do you risk violating noise enforcement codes, but you have a good chance of damaging your drivetrain. The Jakes (or any other engine compression brake) were not designed to aid in shifting, they were designed to assist the service brakes in slowing the vehicle, particulary down a grade to prevent the service brakes from overheating.