User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2005, 01:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Should we all be paid more? Perhaps.....perhaps not. It is relative to what you are worth to the company. No matter what profession you enter, you will need to go through an apprenticeship or learning phase. No one starts at the top of their profession. Some people are not willing to do what is necessary to learn their craft or trade so that they can enhance their value to their employer or to the market place in general. Most trucking companies pay drivers based upon experience and performance. The more experience you have the higher your mileage or wages. The more you run or perform the higher your wages. With time you learn better ways to do your job. You knew what the pay was when you took the job. Most carriers will tell you the average miles per week their drivers run. Based upon those figures, you should have an idea of what kind of money you will make when you go to work for them if your performance is average. I am confused. :?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California
Default Re: why trucking doesn't pay, ( low wages, not home, divorce

[quote="stillsmiling"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraider
Turnover in trucking?,

Chaining in the winter, or changing old peoples diapers.

I dont know, sounds the same to me. :roll:
RockyMtnProDriver...Most times I have always agreed and respected what you have had to say but this time I respectfully disagree. I spent five years of my life taking care of my Mom...she had cancer. Part of that responsibility included changing her diaper numerous times a day and I would never compare it to chaining tires...never.
This was insensitive thing for for me to say.

I apologize for minimizing such a traumatic event to everyone who has had to cope with such an issue.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Should we all be paid more? Perhaps.....perhaps not. It is relative to what you are worth to the company. No matter what profession you enter, you will need to go through an apprenticeship or learning phase. No one starts at the top of their profession. Some people are not willing to do what is necessary to learn their craft or trade so that they can enhance their value to their employer or to the market place in general. Most trucking companies pay drivers based upon experience and performance. The more experience you have the higher your mileage or wages. The more you run or perform the higher your wages. With time you learn better ways to do your job. You knew what the pay was when you took the job. Most carriers will tell you the average miles per week their drivers run. Based upon those figures, you should have an idea of what kind of money you will make when you go to work for them if your performance is average. I am confused. :?
GMan ... I don't really see what the confusion is. I don't see any newbie drivers asking for experienced driver pay. I expect to have to earn the higher pay by producing. But earning a higher pay is a lot different from being paid a fair wage to start with.

I can understand 60 bucks a day that I would be earning while with a trainer. However, the moment I take that truck out on the road myself ... I am on my own. If I make a newbie mistake that cost money the company or DOT or Cops are not going to factor in my days of experience and fine me accordingly. Fact is that the moment I hit the streets on my own, I am treated same as any other driver regardless of experience. I take the same risks and have the same duties. It's only fair that they pay accordingly while factoring only the lack of experience. That said, experienced company drivers with one year are generally starting at 36cpm and 41cpm for 5 years experience. Starting new drivers at 30cpm is not outrageous.

Add to the fact that companies are dying to get new drivers. This is not the days when you knock on their door and beg to be given a chance to drive. Plus also add to the fact that there are more trucks on the road and even more 4 wheelers on the road. The 4 wheelers are faster and can do more crazy stuff on the road. Then add that to stricter enforcement and governed trucks. Plus higher demands of the job i.e paperwork. Lets face it .... this is not the trucking industry of 20 years ago.

People are breaking safety rules to make the extra dollar. And that why they are making rules tougher. Problem is that the people who have to break the rules to make decent money are still going to break the rules. The people who like to drive safe are the ones who lose. Fewer people would be pushed to break safety rules if they were paid good in the first place.

My gross goal is 1k per week. I would have to drive 3.7k plus per week to make that much at 27cpm. I would only need 3.1k miles at 32cpm.

There is no confusion here, drivers with no record and clean driving need to demand better starting pay.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:22 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

.27cpm for just beginning to drive truck IS a fair wage
Old 08-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Board Regular

minus everything that is said in this thread:

I get paid .29/a mile. Im well underpaid. I allow myself $120 a week for food and sometimes i need more. I use a burton to cook but sometimes it's easier to buy fastfood than it is regular cooking unfortunetly.

Im not trying to discourage someone from trucking, but I will say that it costs bucks to do. I thin my company will go up 3 or 4 cents per mile which is good.

They automatic a lot ft hings tha tnormally arent. which contributes to the low pay. the more things you dont have to worry about, the better, im afraid to tell you. This job is so stressful, it's freakin unbelievable.

Right now, Im having my thyroid checked out for loss of balance problems. Probably not truck dricing related, but it doens't help it either.

Dont get me wrong, I likew truck driving. Damn, Ive ben dirving so much since I got my license when I was 16, it's pathetic.

I will say, you need to stop and think about what the consequeces are.

I cant imagine doing anything else right now.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:53 AM
Board Icon

This job is so stressful, it's freakin unbelievable.

:roll:
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choperbob
transport america is starting me out at a fair wage(mile pay) just to learn. what a deal. gotta get that first year, then if i need to or want to i can go find another company. bol with new employer.
I work for Transport America also. Welcome!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Rookie

[quote="This job is so stressful, it's freakin unbelievable.

:roll:[/quote]

I've been in the restaurant and night club business since I was born. I've seen grown people start crying and run out the door because they were so busy that they couldn't figure out what to do next. Working for tips sucks, managing for chain restaurants sucks even worst. I just can't see how driving could be that stressful. :evil: :twisted:
Old 08-28-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333
I've been in the restaurant and night club business since I was born. I've seen grown people start crying and run out the door because they were so busy that they couldn't figure out what to do next. Working for tips sucks, managing for chain restaurants sucks even worst. I just can't see how driving could be that stressful. :evil: :twisted:
Well, cause see... most times in the jobs you describe, people don't try to kill you or themselves repeatedly ever day.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:43 AM

333 I know exactly where u are coming from. This job can be more stressfull, at the same time it can be more relaxing.

Mark