LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Underpaid and overpaid.

I think that is a state of mind.

If you accept .10 cents a mile and average 50 mph, then you are getting $5.00 an hour.

Obviously, if you where to accept that, then that is exactly what you think you are worth.

Something is worth exactly what someone else is will to pay for it.

Everyone has the right to say yes and no to a job. Unless you are in the Military.

Walmart and Macdonalds are full of of low paying jobs. And everyone one of them was applied for and taken.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Board Icon

I see what yooper is saying, .27 cpm is not bad to start at. How can you believe your worth more when you have zero experience with OTR?? That is the wrong attitude to have as is believing that pulling a 38 foot car trailer with a 1 ton dually is the same as pulling a 53 footer or 48 foot flatbed. I drive a dump truck that pulls a 25 foot tilt deck trailer and I know it is nothing of the same and I don't pretend that it is even if I am pulling load that is nearly the same as a regular semi.

In a 7 day week with an average of 2700 miles, 385 miles per day, you would see a check of over $700 before taxes and all the other stuff which is more like $14/hour. You could have been paid less to start, I believe Swift starts guys at .21 cpm which is only about $11/hour.

Yes you are out on the road and not at home very often, or as much as you want to be, but that comes with the job. If .27 is not enough for you then you prolly won't find much else out there paying much over .28.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Default why trucking doesn't pay, ( low wages, not home, divorces+)

Turnover in trucking?, read the stats,,,200,000openings a year,,of a class of 100 new drivers,,only 2, maybe 3 will be out there after 18 months and these are liberal figures. Trucking is unforgiving, and low pay. If u want to make more money in trucking,,u will not do it by driving for the other guy. " something to think about , now put your ( Male Ego) in a jar and listen up............. IN some states there are state schools that teach nursing,,,yep,,that's right nursing,,,its an LPN course,,its only 12 months long,,they are paying 17 bucks an hour in Tennessee to start after your schooling............it cost about 3300 bucks for the year. You would be home every night, no travel, no dispatch, overtime would be about 25 bucks an hour and u don't have to spend 125 bucks a week on the road and u get to spend the night in your bed...OK,,u can stop laughing now,,,,,,,,,,,its a thought,,,,,,,,,,,big trucker egos cant handle some of this.................i know,,opinions are like rear ends,,we all got them......................... :shock:
Old 08-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California
Default Re: why trucking doesn't pay, ( low wages, not home, divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyraider
Turnover in trucking?, read the stats,,,200,000openings a year,,of a class of 100 new drivers,,only 2, maybe 3 will be out there after 18 months and these are liberal figures. Trucking is unforgiving, and low pay. If u want to make more money in trucking,,u will not do it by driving for the other guy. " something to think about , now put your ( Male Ego) in a jar and listen up............. IN some states there are state schools that teach nursing,,,yep,,that's right nursing,,,its an LPN course,,its only 12 months long,,they are paying 17 bucks an hour in Tennessee to start after your schooling............it cost about 3300 bucks for the year. You would be home every night, no travel, no dispatch, overtime would be about 25 bucks an hour and u don't have to spend 125 bucks a week on the road and u get to spend the night in your bed...OK,,u can stop laughing now,,,,,,,,,,,its a thought,,,,,,,,,,,big trucker egos cant handle some of this.................i know,,opinions are like rear ends,,we all got them......................... :shock:
Chaining in the winter, or changing old peoples diapers.

I dont know, sounds the same to me. :roll:
Old 08-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Senior Board Member

ops: as a rookie in this trade, it is like all the other trades i was in. when i started at the bike shop i wasn't even paid! had to clean wrenches and put them away. :shock: as a newbie with a shiney new CDL withno expierence i expect to have to earn the higher paying loads. transport america is starting me out at a fair wage(mile pay) just to learn. what a deal. gotta get that first year, then if i need to or want to i can go find another company. bol with new employer.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

I actually started out in 1978 making more than they're paying today............that being said, I suggest we all quit this pizzing & moaning about not making the $$$'s driving a truck and become Airport Sky-caps at your nearest airport or a long-shoreman at Long Beach Seaport. A Sky-caps annual take home pay exceeds $100,000, and a West Coast long-shoreman minimum salary is $112,00, plus all they can steal.

I tried being a Gigolo, but Hell, I couldn't even give away samples, about starved to death.ops:

Plus, I'm really not all that smart, had committed to round trip flight on private jet and credentials for the Bristol Race Weekend from former clients and changed my mind........ at least I don't have to fight traffic when I turn off my TV.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/t-8875_Ten_most_overpaid_jobs_in_America...No_scient ists_on_the_list!.html
Old 08-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Not to sound condescending to you but you just started driving truck-Do you REALLY think you're worth more than .27cmp?
Hell Yes he is worth more then .27 cpm Its a crying shame how the trucking industry has not brought wages up to meet inflation.

Illegitimis nil carborundum

Inter arma silent leges

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es
Old 08-28-2005, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardmore Farms Forever
I tried being a Gigolo, but Hell, I couldn't even give away samples, about starved to death.ops:

Hell Josh, I tried being a gigolo myself and I couldn't even give away samples: to my last wife no less!!!
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Default ***

Old 08-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Rookie
Default Re: why trucking doesn't pay, ( low wages, not home, divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver

Chaining in the winter, or changing old peoples diapers.

I dont know, sounds the same to me. :roll:
OK, I've never chained tires before, but after spending 4 1/2 years of changing my dad (and feeding him and etc.)...

I'll take the tires!

Gonzo The Above Average