View Poll Results: If I was to drive an additional 12 minutes, it would be illegal according to the driving laws, but w
Yes 13 40.63%
No 18 56.25%
Depends on Company 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_trkr
Okay, so let me make sure this is right.

Unless there is a situation where it can not be avoided, at 11 hours you stop. Period, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Or to make it really simple, it's illegal!
Short answer.."you are correct sir!"
However the way you stated "where it can not be avoided" this can only be used in "adverse weather conditions or an emergency!" As said before there is a provision allowing you to drive to the nearest place to stop. This does not allow for poor planning on the drivers part ie...no parking at the truckstop, traffic stopped due to an accident or say "just five more miles to the customer and I'll be there!"
The way I found works for me was to plan on driving no more then 10 hours a day like under the old regs, that gives me a one hour cushion if needed, plus driving 11 hours added to the time spent on line four will eat your 70 up really fast!
Old 08-03-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86

That's with the drive being absolutely perfect. Meaning: no need to stop and use the restroom, no traffic, truck stays at the exact same speed from the time you pull out until you pull in.

I always estimate my trip @ 50mph. That gives allowances for the above.
Initially when I did a practice creation of the route I was going under the assumption that it would be 60mph all the way there, and when I saw Malaki's post, I re-figured everything and that is what put me at 12 minutes over.

When I changed the speed from 60 to 50, it extended my drive, but it allowed me to get to the destination with 13 minutes to spare. So either way it's cutting it close, which probably means that I'd have to leave earlier than I had initially planned.

All I have to say is that this is now making a lot more sense to me now!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:58 PM

You *can* drive over 11 hours. Why? Because you are to log accurately estimating to within 15 minutes.

If you leave 7 minutes before 8 AM, you can log it as 8 AM. If you drove without breaks, you could drive until 7:07 PM and log that as 7 PM. Thus you have logged 11 legal hours, but driven 11 hours and 14 minutes.

That's in theory. In practice, I can't imagine the case in which I couldn't fudge 15 minutes here or there.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

yeah and suppose for some odd reason you got in an accident or "Situation" at 7:55 and your log book says you left at 8am-wonder what the DOT would say??
Old 08-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
yeah and suppose for some odd reason you got in an accident or "Situation" at 7:55 and your log book says you left at 8am-wonder what the DOT would say??
Given that the DOT regs say you're to log to within 15 minutes, I don't see that they'd have a lot to say really.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Given that the DOT regs say you're to log to within 15 minutes, I don't see that they'd have a lot to say really.
The guidence to those regs also say you are to round to the nearest 15 minute mark.

So if you are less than 7 1/2 minutes you round down and over that you round up.

In the case given to be properly logged you would actually have to show 11 hours and 15 minutes.

================================================
Note: A person must be very, very careful using the "adverse weather" provision to drive over the allowed amount of hours because in order to use it there is two criteria that must be met.

1: The run must have been able to be completed in the time frame the driver had to drive

2: The driver must not have been aware of the conditions prior to starting the run.

===============================================
Note 2:

When the FMCSA increased the alloted driving time from 10 to 11 the intention of the increase was to allow drivers an extra hour if needed to find a place to safely park and take their 10 hour break. Most DOT types know this and have less tolerance with a driver going over the limits than they used to.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member

:nervous: wow what a thread! susan; yooper is right, what if is always happening to me, murpheys law. 11 hours!!!! but anyway, is this thread going to be still open when the new HOS go into effect? 11 hours and stop. Piss Poor Planning.= Poor Performance. i sorta like to think i can plan my trip and leave open a few alternates just in case Mr. Murphey decides to ride along. my teacher says for us rookies plan trip averaging 45 mph and still leave open for fast or slow. ops: :cry: sorry susan i was just mentioning you in the first sentance, plz don't take offence. your advice is always taken.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choperbob
:nervous: wow what a thread! susan; yooper is right, what if is always happening to me, murpheys law. 11 hours!!!! but anyway, is this thread going to be still open when the new HOS go into effect? 11 hours and stop. Piss Poor Planning.= Poor Performance. i sorta like to think i can plan my trip and leave open a few alternates just in case Mr. Murphey decides to ride along. my teacher says for us rookies plan trip averaging 45 mph and still leave open for fast or slow. ops: :cry: sorry susan i was just mentioning you in the first sentance, plz don't take offence. your advice is always taken.
Bob, try this instead. Figure your trips at 50 mph and then simply add 1 hour to them. It is a lot easier to do in your head than 45 mph. Not saying your teacher gave you bad advice, because he didn't. Just that 50 is easier to figure IMHO.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Default 11hrs

As i seen no one brung it up i will and probilly get flamed for it. But here it goes.

I try to drive at least 8 or 9 hours in a day but it may take me more i log by miles at 70/mph i may drive 600miles in a day

600/70 = 8.5 hours but due to traffic/weater/bathroom/food/etc.. it may take me 9-10 hours but all i show is 8.5 hrs but everyone is different but i dont break the 11hr rule unless its within 1hour for example if i drive 770miles/11hrs and my stop is 30 or 40miles away i will dirve to make it. plus i dont see anyone sitting and driving for 11hrs straight

seeya on the flip side, Stay Safe
Old 08-10-2005, 08:53 PM

That's how I log too, sonic. I use a lower mph in my calculations, but bacsically... I figure how long it *should* have taken me to get there in a perfect world, and that's what I log.

I don't do it to go over 11 hours in a day, but to just not burn up my 70.

While I'm driving, I'm on line 3... but when I stop, it may turn out that my log may have gotten there a bit before I did.