User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
X2!!!!! Screw the shippers, agents, brokers and everyone else that expects a truck to haul a load where they all make a profit and the truck makes zero. I too will sit and even DH home regardless of where in the country I am before I haul a cheap load.
Put yourself in their shoes: why should shippers raise the rates when there's plenty of fools out there willing to haul for $0?

Why should companies raise wages when people will drive their trucks for .25 cpm?

Even in the fast food industry, there's a minimum wage. Another burger flipper can't underbid you at McDonald's by working for $2.00/hr. And yet in trucking, some moron can undercut you by hauling loads for zilch.

So many drivers blame the shippers, blame the receivers, blame the grocery *****houses, blame the mega carriers, blame the brokers, etc for the ills that befall this industry. But the real blame lies in the mirror...

Last edited by Joey Shabadoo; 11-29-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member

:thumbsup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo View Post
Put yourself in their shoes: why should shippers raise the rates when there's plenty of fools out there willing to haul for $0?

Why should companies raise wages when people will drive their trucks for .25 cpm?

Even in the fast food industry, there's a minimum wage. Another burger flipper can't underbid you at McDonald's by working for $2.00/hr. And yet in trucking, some moron can undercut you by hauling loads for zilch.

So many drivers blame the shippers, blame the receivers, blame the grocery *****houses, blame the mega carriers, blame the brokers, etc for the ills that befall this industry. But the real blame lies in the mirror...
:thumbsup: :clap: it's called drivers screwing drivers.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM

I know this is a couple months old, but man when things get slow people cut rates. I'm in construction trucking in CA my hourly rates went from $85 an hour, for a 3axle dump, to $65 and plummeting in about 3 months. Rate cutting idiots killing it for EVERYBODY who makes a living with a truck. I dont have to tell you who these idiots are. My truck is parked and I am running out of money and looking for a good job if there are any left!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Rookie
Default What?

I don't put this only on the drivers. True there are drivers that can afford to wait for the good paying loads.
some cannot. some have truck payments, Bills, Health care, A family to feed. not all O/Op has a nest egg.

I would say if a driver can find another job to pay the bills until rates get better, and don't take the job then it's the drivers fault. but if you have a $1,800 truck payment not to many jobs will cover your bills. The economy is slow unemployment is VERY high.. not to many jobs at McDonald's open. brokers Know This! and will post a load weeks before it needs delivered at a rate that would just cover your fuel if you was trying to get home!!! as the dead line to get this load moving approaches, The brokers will up the rate. They have no problems playing the " fish game "

To me the blame is on 3 things. The economy, Brokers, Drivers
Old 03-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I don't put this only on the drivers. True there are drivers that can afford to wait for the good paying loads.
some cannot. some have truck payments, Bills, Health care, A family to feed. not all O/Op has a nest egg.

I would say if a driver can find another job to pay the bills until rates get better, and don't take the job then it's the drivers fault. but if you have a $1,800 truck payment not to many jobs will cover your bills. The economy is slow unemployment is VERY high.. not to many jobs at McDonald's open. brokers Know This! and will post a load weeks before it needs delivered at a rate that would just cover your fuel if you was trying to get home!!! as the dead line to get this load moving approaches, The brokers will up the rate. They have no problems playing the " fish game "

To me the blame is on 3 things. The economy, Brokers, Drivers
Can you even make money with a $1800 truck payment? How much would you have to get paid per mile on average to show a profit with that payment? That seems like it would be hard to do.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_0755 View Post
Can you even make money with a $1800 truck payment? How much would you have to get paid per mile on average to show a profit with that payment? That seems like it would be hard to do.
You're sure not going to run for $0.96/mile. Even with a fuel sir charge. But, now, think about the guy that just bought a brand new KW, W90L, with a Studio Sleeper. And, payments approaching $3000/month. Know a guy that did just that. Don't know if he's been able to hang on to it or not.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
You're sure not going to run for $0.96/mile. Even with a fuel sir charge. But, now, think about the guy that just bought a brand new KW, W90L, with a Studio Sleeper. And, payments approaching $3000/month. Know a guy that did just that. Don't know if he's been able to hang on to it or not.
He won't last long with that payment and those rates. My equipment was paid for, and I could no longer justify running for these rates. After fuel, a shower and a meal I may as well have been broke.

Out of all of us that started out together, 3 have filed bankruptcy and lost everything and me and my other buddy just hung it up before we got to that point. Personally, I don't miss trucking in the least. It is not what it used to be, 20 years is enough.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Board Regular

And we are starting another business! Going to feed you guys, if you have the time to stop look me up in Chelsea MI. The Lunch Box!

See y'all down the road!

Mike
Old 08-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Some really good points made esp by Gman /salute!
There is no need to get out there and risk breakdown or injury for just keeping afloat, sit and be patient, find the right paying freight and be ready to roll when u do. If i was an O/O it rather not run that engine unless its worth it, copy?

If you cant find someone to run your frieght its because your not being reasonable, squeeze your shippers for higher rates, check the competition for their rates and do not undercut them. You are more valuable to the shipper if u can get it done than if u save them 2% IF u get it done. Pay the truck more and ull get top notch service out of them.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:02 AM
Rookie

Too many idiots for truckers to contend with on the road not to be getting paid for it, and lets not even talk about all the permits and hassles that the DOT throw at you. Brokers are like lawyers they will break it off in you if you let em.They should have to pull out of a yard in the middle of no where loaded heavy and the DOT sitting at the stop sign 200 yards away waiting on em.