User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default He's stuck training/driving with an a**hole

My fiancé just started his driving career and has been assigned a trainer who is a complete ass. My fiance' is an intelligent, common-sense kinda guy, has driven 30 years ago (although we know things have changed) and for the past 14 years was a professional in an office until the market only wants to hire kids for $10/hr. We knew this would be a difficult journey but something he wanted/needed to do.

My Fiance' is in the beginning stages and was assigned a trainer/driver. This guy has over 30 years under his belt and the road has been and is his life. He takes every load and does those emergency runs all of the time. They've been across the country already in this last first week; but for my fiance it's been hell. Not the driving part, not the being away part (although this is hard for both of us)...but this guy appears to be a complete ass. He yells all of the time, he repeats himself 3-5 times in the same minute as though my fiance isn't listening when in fact he is. I know one could think the trainer is screaming because my fiance isn't listening but he is and actually doing what he's being told. But he IS in training and never uses that as an excuse for anything. Yet that's no reason to yell and nag every time he opens his mouth. He yells if my fiance gets on the QualComm, he yells about knowing the time zones, he yells about the 'few' times he grinds the gears on a down-shift although the trainer has done it too. I know, I'm not there...but it takes a hell of a lot for my fiance to get frustrated and angry and he doesn't inflate situations for his benefit. The trainer has said newbies wash out all of the time and I'm thinking although the new lifestyle is hard for everyone, his yelling has contributed to it.

Being new to this, I just wanted to know for me - what are his options?
1. One cannot be with someone 24 hours a day that they don't get along with (that's why marriages end in divorce right? ) Can he ask for a new driver? What are the consequences? Will the trucking company label his as someone who is difficult to get along with?
2. Is it normal for veteran drivers to be so crotchety and mean when training someone new?
3. Do all new drivers in training end up going cross country away from home the entire 1st month or more?
4. Is it common when in training, to be asked to drive when not really getting "enough" rest?

Please know he/we takes everything seriously. It's a big truck with a lot of weight and time is money. We get it. So getting things right is essential; but is yelling the method of choice to help someone learn? I mean after all...that's why they stuck him with a trainer in the first place, not to be verbally abused every minute of the day. We try to put a positive spin on this say, "he (the trainer) is just trying to make my fiance a better driver" but yelling only pisses everyone off.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If there is a problem with the trainer, he can request to be assigned to someone else. If he has attempted to discuss his issues with this trainer and can't resolve them, he might be better off to see if he can find another trainer. If he has driven in the past for any length of time, he should not need to spend much time with a trainer. He may also want to check to see how long he will need to be with a trainer before being given his own truck.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Thanks for your advice GMan. I just didn't know if there was any stigma attached to requesting another trainer. This place requires 180 hours with a trainer ... but he's fine with that, just not with one whose method of communication is yelling with constant verbal abuse. Thanks again!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are welcome, MakinItWork. 180 hours isn't that much time if he can stick it out. On the other hand, no one should be subjected to verbal abuse as you described. Some people should never train. Yelling has never been a good way to train others. If he doesn't feel comfortable with the arrangement he can request another trainer. You never know what you get when you get into a truck with a stranger.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Like "G" said he shouldn't have to put up with the yelling and I know from experience that it doesn't work. I got fed up with a trainer after 3 weeks and we pulled into a T/S and he said " stop here, I'm going to shower. You park the truck and meet me inside".( final straw) So I parked the truck side ways in the lot, tossed the keys in the weeds and took a Greyhound home. That didn't really help my career and I don't recommend that route!
From what I've seen he can get another trainer without to much trouble, but after two trainers he's going to get a 'rep'.
That trainer may have 30 yrs driving but how long has he been training? From what I remember I had to fill out a questionnaire and grade the trainer when I got off his truck. Just thought you might like to know.
As far as running from coast to coast, I've been in and out of trucking several times over the years and have had to go out with 3 different trainers and all three time I went to Ca. I think they give trainees long runs to get 'highway' time and get comfortable in the truck.
Sorry about ramblin on on. Good luck and tell him not to give up!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Tags
newdriver, options, training