User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Prayers requested for my Dad and our family

Not my Dad... he's healthy as ever. But, he comes from a family of 5 sisters and one brother. He lost his only brother some 10 or 15 years ago. All his sisters are 80 or 90 something. They can't last forever.

This last Monday night, we lost his sister Mildred to NONdiagnosed cancer. My dad assisted her pastor in the funeral service today.

As most of you know, my dad is a pastor/preacher. So, you know how well he is taking it considering his beliefs. But.... it HAS to hurt at some level. He will probably lose the other 4 sisters within the next 2-3 years.

I had the extreme pleasure (under the circumstances) to get to go by the hospital and see my aunt this past Christmas after the family get-together. As I will forever remember it, she was as beautiful, graceful and defiant as I had EVER known her to be.

Thanks.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Sorry for your loss Hobo. Seems like the entire family has a good long run with life though!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I seldom agree with your politics, but that's another matter. I'll keep your family in my prayers. Sorry at you loss.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Sorry for your loss Hobo. Seems like the entire family has a good long run with life though!
Thanks, Stan. Yeah, they've ALL had long lives, and I expect my dad to do the same. We've been blessed with very FEW illnesses. My Uncle drank heavily when he was young. He died (eventually...after quitting for 40 years) from cirrhosis of the liver. But, even HE was 80 something when he died. Papa died of an unexpected massive heart attack at 83 or so... probably from a steady diet of salt cured ham and redeye gravy! My grandma died at 94 from natural causes after years in a "home." All my aunts are very old and somewhat healthy except one who has alzheimer's. My dad is the baby at nearly 80 and healthy as can be.

Unfortunately for ME.... my mother's family has not been so lucky. And I take after her. But, that is MY cross to bear. I am not asking for any prayers on MY behalf! (all of her parents and half of her siblings have died younger than her.... and some only 10 years or so older than me.)

But, thank you again for your concern. We all need to know that we matter to someone.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I seldom agree with your politics, but that's another matter. I'll keep your family in my prayers. Sorry at you loss.
Thank you Windy. Politics is just something I talk about for fun. But, I'm concerned about how my father will deal "in reality" with the loss of all of his siblings in short order. He is a strong man of faith, but... I fear he has troubling times ahead of him, and I will probably be of little use to him. He will not easily understand MY beliefs about mortality, and I cannot FAKE some religious consolation for his benefit. I don't want it to turn to an argument about religion and faith. It is best that I just remain, as I've always been, an outsider.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Board Icon

Hobo. It does not have to be religious. No matter what else may go on, you have been, are, and always will be his son. Children do not always follow in the parents' footsteps. Nor do they always maintain the parents' religious beliefs. If they did, you would have had a predetermined destiny at birth. We grow up and go our own way in this world. That does not make us outsiders. It simply confirms that we are all individuals. There have been moments when your father has made you very proud of him. And, the way you spoke of him, I have little doubt that there have also been moments when you made him proud of you as well. Perhaps, you should concentrate on those moments, and put religious issues on the back burner. You might be surprised just how many things you really do have in common. You might consider that you are not being fair to him or yourself by allowing one issue to stand in the way of what might otherwise be a good and fruitful relationship. At the same time, he must also realize that certain issues have to be left out of the conversation. At his age, with his own past history, that might be difficult for him, but it's easier for the more youthful to adjust, and it might require more consideration on your part.

Without a doubt, some of the qualities that you admire most in him have also been passed on to you. Let that be your common ground. If he has not cast you out, don't cast yourself out either. You do not have to stand on religious issues to be there for him.