User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My dad died on the road.

Hi , This is probaly a stupid question, but my dad passed away July 29th, in Conroe , Tx. He spent most of hus time on the road. I guess I am just wondering if anyone knew him. His name was Jack barrington. I don't know his handle cause he changed it ALL the time. I will post obit with picture, and if anyone out there knew him , I would love to hear from you , or you can leave a message for my mom on the link of the obituary.
He worked for KLLM Transport out of Jackson, Missisippi, but was from Conroe Texas. He left the house to go pick up his load in Houston, drove less than 10 miles, had a heart attck, managed to get the rig off the freeway , without hitting any other vehicles during rush hour morning traffic. He hit a light pole off the service road, jack knifed the rig, but had no injurys from the wreck. They said he was dead before he hit the pole. I don't know how they can tell these things. He had no prior heart problems at all.
Also does anyone know if my mother is eligable for workers compensation since he died in the rig on company time?

Jackie Nolan Barrington
Visitation:
Friday, August 1, 2008
6:00 PM until 8:00 PM
Sam Houston Memorial Funeral Home of Willis
10129 FM 1097 W
Willis, TX 77318

Service:
Saturday, August 2, 2008
2:00 PM
Sam Houston Memorial Funeral Home of Willis
10129 FM 1097 W
Willis, TX 77318

VIEW/SEND CONDOLENCES

Jackie Nolan Barrington, age 64, passed away July 29, 2008. Arrangements entrusted to Sam Houston Memorial Funeral Home in Willis. Jackie is survived by his loving wife, Mary Barrington of Conroe; daughter Regina Faulk and husband Eric of Columbia, SC; daughter Melissa Crawford and husband Mark of Malaysia; son David Black and wife Brenda of Conroe; son Samuel VanParys and wife Ellen of Conroe; sister-in-law Donnie Barrington of Belton; grandchildren: Penny and husband Aaron, Eric and wife Charlene, William, Nicole, Jessica, David, Kevin, Kristin, Michael, and Kaylee; great-grandchildren: Bridget, Derrance, Morgan, Zachary, Trinity and Makenzey; and numerous nieces, nephews, aunts, cousins and other relatives. Jackie is preceded in death by parents, Raymond and Opal Barrington; brother Ronnie Barrington, and great-grandson Issaiah Daniels. Jackie had been a truck driver for over 40 years and was most recently employed by KLLM Truck Line. He will be missed by all who knew him. Visitation is scheduled for Friday, August 1 from 6 – 8 PM at Sam Houston Memorial Funeral Home in Willis. Funeral Services will be held Saturday, August 2 at 2 PM in the Chapel of Sam Houston Memorial Funeral Home in Willis, with interment immediately following at Smith Memorial Park in Willis. You are invited to leave a written condolence to the family on our website at www.shmfh.com.

Melissa :cry:
Old 08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Sorry to hear about your dad Melissa. Didn't know him but the the death of anyone's father is heartbreaking for sure.

I think if you want to know who his friends are because you don't know them, try his company first. Other drivers he might have befriended in school or at one of KLLM's terminals.
If he was on a dedicated run, people at his pick ups and deliveries might know him.
The sad honest truth about trucking, especially OTR, he was probably never any where long enough to have great friends, casual aquantinces only. It is and can be a very lonely occupation.
I wish you and your mom the best and am deeply sorry for your sudden loss.

As for the workers comp thing, unsure, but I am sure there are tons of people you can talk to in your area to help you out.
It sounds to me like you described him having a medical condition that lead to his death.
In that scenario: If I go to work today and collapse do to heart problems or diabetic problems, it isn't a work related issue. Nothing was unsafe or neglegent to cause my medical condition.

IMHO you need to let that go and be happy his medical condition didn't lead to anyone elses sudden and tragic loss. Your mom should be able to collect her husband's SSI and any life insurance policies or pensions. Look into that.

Again my dearest and deepest condolences.
Trukrswyfe
Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Rookie

Hi , thanks for the advice. I am trying to get used to him not being here. He just had a physical exam 2 months ago, and other than slightly elevated blood pressure , he was in great shape the Dr said. No heart problems at all with him or family history. He did have life insur for my mom, just I was told to check into the workers comp for my mom. I did finally get in touce with someone on this subject. For the record, in case this happens to anyone in the future there is the possibility of survivors recieving compensation. Even if there are no unsafe or hazardous conditions. If any history of problems that are the cause of death , then no comp.
Also , for the record, KLLM has been very good so far with my mom. I think they are a good company, I know my dad enjoyed working for them.
And I agree it is a very lonely confession. He loved it though. When I was 9 years old he started taking us on the road with him in the summers. Best time of my life, I am 40 yrs old now, and I still havent had a better vacation. Of course it is work for adults , but anytime , you do not HAVE to do something, its usually fun. Thanks again.