User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What to say to (step) daughter?

About a year ago my wife and I seperated. It was a smooth seperation with neither of us hating the other. She has two older children (23 and 21) who are out of the house. The younger one was living with her fiance and was to be married at the end of the month. Tonight my wife called and said that the younger one and her fiance had split up and she had moved home. I was devistated. These were two nice kids who were in love and building a future for themselves. I called her and left her a voicemail to call me. When she called back she was bawling and it just broke my heart. She and her sister were 16 and 14 when they came into my life and I love them both to death. Telling her that I was sorry and that if she needed to talk or anything she could call me anytime and telling her that I love her just didn't seem like enough. What else can a step parent do?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

All you can do is listen to her and be there for her. It's great that you have that kind of relationship with your step-daughter. Like I said, the next time you talk to her, just listen. That's really important. And even though she might say bad things about her ex-fiance, refrain from saying anything nasty about him. Yes, he hurt her but she also still cares for him. And she will defend him too. Love is weird that way. :lol: :lol: Just be her shoulder to cry on.

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 AM
Board Regular

mommee said it perfectly ... I've been through a situation in my life when I was younger and really, listen and be there for her just as simple as that sounds and as much as our heartstrings want to do more when we have a loved one going through tough times simply having a shoulder to lean on and an ear to listen to us when we're ready is priceless ...