User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New to the industry and life style

Hi everyone. I am brand new to the trucking industry and the life style. I saw several topics related to this, all were kind of old, so....

My husband used to work retail as a sales person for a nationwide chain. Things had not been going very well and neither of us really liked the bad hours and the way he was treated so...he searched for a new career direction. I told him that I would support him in whatever choice he made. He had basically sat back and waited while I developed my career and earned by bachelor's degree for the last ten years, so now its my turn to be there for him.

We live in Maryland and have two sons, 11 and 5 (plus a heard of pets ).

He attended a driving school and just this past week he completed orientation with his new company. We are not delusional with our expectations. We both know that it is not going to be easy, emotionally or financially. We are hoping that financially things will get better, they really can't get much worse considering over the past year, he has been without a paycheck more often than he has had one.

I guess that I am just writing to say "hi" to everyone and maybe make some "friends" that know a heck of a lot more about the industry than I do. I am a fairly solitary person and live in a very rural area so I have very few friends. Just here to have someone's "ear" to bend every once in a while.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Senior Board Member

It's Nice to have New Peeps,

Welcome TRex,

I have 3 sons, 14, 11, and 7. They are the best. The cool thing about net friends You log on when it's a good time for you. If you have any questions. Just shoot away. Though my husband is no longer over-the-road and has a sweet Gov. job . It took years OTR to get it. There is a bit of a time difference but I am happy to help, listen, and I even know how to shut up. some times. The guys here are great but So are the Women!

Are your kids almost out of school for the summer then?

Do you guys have any plans? Honestly I kept the kids real busy to try and distract them from missing daddy. It didn't always work, but I video taped almost everything on the cell phone and sent it to husband. When he wasn't busy working, sleeping, or eating he could see the family. Really helped him to see why he was out there doing this. This is a good time to start trucking besides the heat at least the passes are good. Construction and traffic are going to be the main problem for him.

Again Nice to have you.
TW
Old 05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Rookie

Hi Trukrswyfe!!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

The boys will be out of school in just 13 more school days (Yikes!). My 5 year old is enrolled in summer camp with his existing daycare. The 11 year old is another story. Unfortunately our budget could not afford the cost for both of them to be enrolled in summer camp, so I am making adhoc plans for him with the help of grandparents. As I said, we have a heard of pets, including a couple of dogs that we show in AKC shows. My mother also has show dogs and my older son started showing the end of last summer and has been doing great. So he and my dad will be traveling around in a huge luxury RV (toy hauler) with a group of dogs and showing most of the summer. When he is not out and when I can get away with it, I will bring him into the office with me and let him goof off here. Sadly I commute 2 hours each way (which sucks by the way!), I also have been trying to save as much of my vacation time as possible to take days off this summer just to hang with my guys.

I am on the big search for a decent wall map of the US that we can hang and put pins in to mark Daddy's various locations. If anyone has any leads there that would be great!

Again, it is great to "meet" everyone!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:23 PM

Hi Trex and welcome.
I know I don't post too much here, but this site is a great place to learn about the trucking industry.
My kids have 9 more school days, but then I have them enrolled in summer school and swimming classes.
Nice to meet you and look forward to your posts.

Virginia
Old 05-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Rookie
Default hi

Hi, I do hope all will work out for you and your husband, this is a great forum everyone is so helpful. At least your kids will be home for the summer to help you get used to your husband being gone. Hang in there and I'll help if I can ,my children and I are out for the summer so I should be on here more. Maybe you could try the video and pictures like Trukrswyfe said she did.
Take care everything is gonna be all right.
otrwife
Old 05-30-2008, 01:25 AM
Rookie

Thanks again for the welcomes.

Yes kids will be out of school soon, but I definately will not be "out" of work. Unfotunately work cannot wait.

My hubby started sending us pics today, the boys are very excited to see pics of the truck.

Hubby is adjusting, will just take some time.