User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Missing the road

About a year ago my husband decided to quit driving OTR for a company and to go back to doing locall work. He was a truck driver for 3 yrs.which out of them 3 I went with him on most of his runs. The first yr. was really hard to adjust to as I had always been a stay at home mom before that. But with our boys all being older,17 then it was also nice to get out and see the world just me and my hubby. My husband called me his co-pilot. I studied while on the road and was able to pass my cdl test and get my cdl permit,in hopes that one day we could become team drivers.Needless to say I never was able to take the road test becouse of not having a truck to drive to take the test.Eventually too much time lasped and I lost the permit(their only good for 5 months).Anyhow here I am back to being a stay at home wife while my husband works locally. I have so so missed being out on the road.It has a way of getting into your blood and not letting go. I try to remember the bad times too, but it I cant get it out of my system. I,ve tried talking to my husband and letting him know how I feel but he's just not ready to go back to OTR right now. We live in a remote area where work is really hard to come by or i would be working myself , if nothing else to have something to do. AS it is we live 10 miles from town and only have one vehicle to drive so that alone makes that option a challenge with the work routine my husband has now. What I really hope for is that one day my husband will get sick of the job he's doing now (which by the way is the very same job he got sick of to go to truck driving) and decide to go back to what he loved to do at one point in his life which was driving. I know he still has some of it in his blood too or he would'nt have his cb in our pickup and another cb base in our house. There's really nothing like being out on the road and experiencing Everthing that one experiences while he/she is out there but I had no idea it would bite me like it did.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:35 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I miss it too :cry:

For the time being I play Trukz and live vicariously through my friends who are still running OTR, sometimes I even get to help em route plan, haha.

I'm not one to tell you what to do, but if you miss it that much, why not go to school and go out OTR on your own?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM
Rookie
Default missing the road

That,s funny.I also play trukz. Kind of a cool game but just does;nt seem long enough. I would never go and become a solo truck driver in the real world though. I've been married for almost 31 yrs. and would'nt want to do it alone. But it would be nice to be able to travel and get paid for it too ,being able to explore and have adventure in your life after the kids are all grown as they are now. For now I"ll just play trukz and keep the memories of when we were out on the road along with the pics. Who knows maybe one day we'll do it again.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Board Icon

I've missed a few roads in my time. Trying to read directions in the middle of the night, and watching for the traffic, and stuff. :P :lol: :?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Rookie
Default missing the road

I hear ya there. As a co-pilot that was part of my job as the rider to help out in watching for signs ,turns,etc. And don't forget the 4-wheeler in the blind spot. My husbansd always appreciated the extra set of eyes to help him out. It's not much fun when you do miss the road. It can put you in a place you really dont want to be in.Been there done that and did'nt want to do it again.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Rookie

I gave up working, and didn't know what the hell to do - so now I cruise around in a Pete 359 turned into a camper. Keeps me on the road, and I still get to hear the Jakes wailing.. kind of gets into your blood, and if I left it, I would be on my last trip real soon.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:41 PM

What about doing a little bit of study and go get your permit again. Maybe make some plans to go all the way this time and get the license. If the family is surviving on one income and things are being managed then running team at a relaxed pace seems possible. i bet he would be more inclined to run over the road again if it means less work then he is doing now.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Board Member

One of the supposed trainers that my wife had at Werner chewed her up because she missed a turn ... your a professional you are not supposed to miss turns.

My response to my wife was this:

There are three kinds of drivers when it comes to getting lost
1) the ones that have gotten lost
2) the ones that will get lost
3) the ones that will never admit they have gotten lost
Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: missing the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2
That,s funny.I also play trukz. Kind of a cool game but just does;nt seem long enough. I would never go and become a solo truck driver in the real world though. I've been married for almost 31 yrs. and would'nt want to do it alone. But it would be nice to be able to travel and get paid for it too ,being able to explore and have adventure in your life after the kids are all grown as they are now. For now I"ll just play trukz and keep the memories of when we were out on the road along with the pics. Who knows maybe one day we'll do it again.
If you get your CDL you could run team with your husband. I've met a lot of married teams that didn't start until the kids were grown. Just another option.

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln