User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default URGENT! NEED ADVICE FOR INJURED FRIEND!...

This is a partial continuence from the replies to my previous topic post in this forum, but, also need quick advice here too...

Today was an ironic day... Having just read your well wishes, and passing on the "good luck", in my other topic post "Ever have one of those weeks?"...

I had taken my dogs for a walk a couple days ago, and that dog that is a "buddy" to my dogs saw us walking along the trail that passes by his home. He barked inside his house, and then came running out doors, as we began to pass along side his home. This was going to be another test to see what he would do if he came out of his yard to the trail to see my dogs.

Well, I was a little tense for a moment, but, simply called his name, in an upbeat, friendly voice, to greet him... He came out onto the trail, and did his usual thing. Scent marking the nearest tree, then sniffing my dogs when they aren't looking, hahaha... My female dog walked over to him, and sniffed him while he went to scent mark again.

Then I said to him, want to go for a walk with us?... He reacted as though nothing had ever happened between my dogs, and him, and he turned in front of us, and started walking up the trail ahead of us. He would occasionally stop to wait for us to catch up to him, as he alway's had on previous walks.

We walked as far along the trail as I wanted to go, then I turned around, and started back home. I called the dog's name, and said, come on boy, we're going the other way now... He turned tail, and walked behind us, until he decided to take the lead again, and trotted by us along the trail. He remained in the lead, and as we got closer to his home, he did his usual thing which was to simply trot right back into his own yard, and bark at his owners to let him into their house.

I guess all is forgiven, and the dogs are all "buddies" again... :wink: A big relief for me, let me tell you... Whew...

NOW, what is ironic, after reading all the wishes of good luck sent my way is, that today on my way home from walking my dogs, I met up with the owners of the dog that my dogs are "buddies" with, and had a squabble with a while back...

The husband was in a wheel chair, with his left arm in a sling, and all bandaged up... He had been in a wheel chair many months ago, because he had injured one of his feet, and had to stay off his feet for a little while...

Now, it turns out he was just in a very bad car accident, in which he was the victim, and had fractured his left hand in 3 places, which required surgery, and pins to placed in his hand, and he was sore across his chest from the seatbelt, and had some injury to his foot again. I couldn't believe my eyes... :shock:

His wife was pushing him along in the wheel chair, and my jaw just dropped... :shock: I said to him, "What happened to you?"... Then he, and his wife told me what had happened...

He usually drives a 4x4 pickup truck, but, in this accident he was driving their other car a small compact car... It turns out he was hit head on by a teen age driver who had only had his license for 2 weeks!... :shock: :roll:

The "kid" fell asleep at the wheel supposedly, and hit his car head on, mostly on the passenger side of this man's car... The kid was driving a van. He told me that after the kid hit his car it did a turn in the air, and then went on to hit a tree... A terrible wreck indeed... The kid wasn't hurt at all from what he said, but he was hurt pretty bad.

They said, that it was a good thing that there were no passengers in either vehicle, or they would have been killed by the impact. Both vehicles were totalled...

I felt so bad for this guy, first he started off the spring with a food injury, then his dog has a conflict with my dog, and pays the vet bill. Then now he is involved in a bad car accident, that leaves him in a wheel chair for now, in pain, with a shattered left hand with pins in it, wrapped up, and wearing a sling, along with the whip lash from the seatbelt...

I told him even with the injuries he had, that he was very lucky... It certainly could have been a lot worse, and he won't be permanently disabled by this accident either... I feel so bad for the poor guy. I said to him, you've been having a very bad year this year... He agreed with me, but, still wanted to greet my dogs while we were standing there talking.

They were ready to head toward their home, so, I wished him a quick recovery, and that I hope he feels better soon, and said good bye to them, and headed for home myself...

They are nice people, and it is terrible what the husband has had to go through this year... They are an older couple too, I would guess they are either in their late 50's, or early 60's...

I hadn't told them before about my own auto accident (I was the victim of as well), that left me seriously injured 7 years ago. But, I did share it with them, while we were there talking... That's why I told him he was very, very lucky, nothing worse happened.

I'm thinking of getting him a get well gift, flowers, or something... I'm just not sure if I should being he is a married man, and I'm a single woman, even though I know him, and his wife equally, more as aquaintances since our dogs are "buddies"...

Any suggestions?... Or, should I just send a "Get Well Soon", Bouquet?... :? You'll have to hurry with responses, because I'll need to do this by Monday, if there aren't any florists open on Sunday...

What should I write in the card?... He's the one with the injuries. But, I don't want to leave his wife out of it either?... It's the first time I'm not sure just what to say... ops: Which is rarely a problem for me, as everyone here knows... :lol:

Any, and all suggestions will be appreciated, look forward to all your replies... Thank you in advance... :wink:

Old 07-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Instead of a plant or something, how about sending/giving them a food basket or making a couple of casseroles for them and tell them that since they have had such a rough time of it that you thought they could use a little relaxation or something along those lines.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Rookie

I like the idea of the food basket, can be an assortment of cheese and sausages from a deli, or cookies and muffins from a bakery. While I adore getting flowers, not everyone does. Look around their yard, do they seem like plant people? Anyone looking at mine would see that I'm not!

It's nice of you to be making this effort. Most people wouldn't take the time.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Unless you know a person's dietary needs I would not go with any sweets. With the way diabetes is running rampant anymore the breads and cookies might not be very welcome.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Board Member

I have an idea, what about a fruit bouquet?... They are basically like a fruit basket, except they cut, and arrange the fruit to look like a bouquet of flowers...

Still don't know what to say in the card though, any ideas?... :? :?:

Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 AM

If your up to it, you could ask to see if they need help with anything like yard work, offer to take their dogs for walks when you walk yours, or something the husband usually did but can't do now that he is injured.

Just let them know you care, and are there if they need anything.

Here is an idea. If you haven't sent the gift yet, why not go over and talk to the wife or call her. Tell her that you were planning on giving her husband a gift to help cheer him up. Ask her what would be best to give him, because you thought he might have been getting alot of gift, food, and fruit baskets from other friends and family.

If she fusses, tell her that is the least you could do as a friend, or tell her your dogs insisted on it.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member

On the card how about:

"You have been chosen to be the victim of a random act of kindness. I hope you have a great day."
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Good ideas... Checked price for Fruit Bouquet it was to expensive, made custom card using my computer instead...

Someone gave me an idea of what to write in the card that was funny... But, I didn't use it... But, I'll share it with you all anyway, since it was funny...

(Since their dog usually tags along when I pass their house with my own dogs. This is what this one person suggested I write in the card)...

They said to say;
"Get well soon, I'm tired of walking your dog."... :lol:

Not knowing their sense of humor, I decided on saying something else...

But, thanks again for all the great ideas... :wink:

Old 07-26-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm glad you passed up on putting that in. I actually groaned when I read it. That could very well be construed as an insult.

Good luck with what every you decide to do.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Board Member

I can only hope that this man, and his wife get a good Lawyer... He mentioned that because of his foot injury, he may end up in the wheel chair permanently... I didn't ask him more about it, since he looked like he was in a lot of pain, and I know how devastating serious injuries from an auto accident can affect not only your health, but, your entire life...

I keep thinking about the fact that they have their own home, and I don't know if his wife works, or not. But, it could turn out to be a very serious situation for them, if he is the primary bread winner of the family... Unless he has very good insurance, other than his auto insurance, it concerns me that this could affect them financially... I can only hope that all will work out well in the end, and it won't affect them financially...

I'd hate to see these people end up in a worse situation, that could cost them their home... They are very nice people, and it would be horrible if this auto accident destroyed their lives... :sad:

It is situations like this that most people never think about, until it happens to them. Then suddenly, unless you've prepared for such an event, it can, and does have devastating affects on not only your health, but, your entire life, and lifestyle...

I can only wish them well, and good luck for the future...