User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default help with 1 year old who won't sleep

I am a full time dispatcher and a full time mom of a 9 year girl 7 year old son and a 1 year baby girl and she will not sleep at night she wakes up about 2am and thinks it is time to play. What can i do i miss her but i need my sleep as well. Help
Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 AM
Board Regular

no late naps..........watch the sugar intake............keep it quiet when she wakes up, don't play back I know it's hard when you're missing them and want to spend time with em but really better for her to learn good sleep/wake patterns too...........how early is she going to bed, is it possible her system is no longer needing a longer stretch and if she stays up a bit later will she sleep in later? Now that worked for two of my four, lol...the other two are backwards, they get overstimulated and got to let them wind down...my youngest one at three years old has to have her nap or forget bedtime on time.......each lil one is so different from any other little one, I just remember they are only little for a little while and this time will pass and be a memory faster than I want it to be no matter how frustrating it can be I just have to remember there are plenty better days ahead and enjoy what I've been blessed with now while it's here
Old 03-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Rookie

she take an hour nap around 12:00noon and i put her to bed around 8:30-9:00pm she will go to sleep but wakes up every night between 1am and 3 am and wants to play or sleep with me and my husband. If i do not get her up she screams like you are beating her and answers!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Board Regular

Some lil ones develop 'night terrors' around that age....simply explained version of nightmares, something that doesn't bother us bigger people can be scarier to our little ones

Does she show signs of separation anxiety at other times? As in if she's sleeping and lightly wakes and feels alone could really be scared as to where you are..........takes some time and patience but you may want to try going to her and comforting her, put her back in her own bed....expect her to fuss go back in every ten minutes and gradually stretch out the time you go back into her room ( I know easier said than done when you're needing your sleep to focus for work and all too but want her to learn you or someone trusted is always there with her and to go back to sleep on her own eventually) Is this a new development with her or something she's done for some time? May take longer if it's been going on for a time there

Hoping things work out for you and your lil one there (((((hugs))))) it'll get better, I'm sure you know from your other two kiddos, they do grow so quickly
Old 03-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member

While it may sound like a contradiction, try putting her to bed a bit earlier.

It could be she is overly tired when going to bed for the night. I know my kid who is now 18 months will wake up in the middle of the night more often if he is very tired when he goes to bed. He is also more prone to nightmares when he is too tired.

Another thing you can try is to try to have her eat a little more through out the day. With kids, especially babies, they will feel fuller longer if they eat more often during the day.

Finally you can try putting a bottle or sippy cup of water or juice in bed with her. That way when she does wake up at night she can hopefully put herself back to sleep.

I have used all 3, successfully with my kid.

I am also a full time stay at home dad now and have been since the little guy was 6 weeks old.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Been a while since I had a 1 year old. I got 3 girls that range from 17 to 21.

Is it really 'play' time or is it 'hold me' time?
What food and how often is she eating?

Can only you tend to her, how about your husband?

With 3 kids how are you and your husband dividing your attention between the kids and each of you?

How soon do you pick her up when she starts screaming? Right away or wait a few minutes?

How long has this been happening?

Has there been any changes in the household just before or at the same time that it started?

Have you asked your other kids what's going on?

Is she in a separate room from others or is she sharing? Has there been a change in this situation?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Rookie
Default to answer your questions dle

at night when she wakes i am the only one she will quite for we try to split up our time sometimes it is hard by the time i get home from work it is 6pm and we still have dinner, homework, and baths and i try to get everyone to bed between 8-9pm when mikayla wakes up i wait a couple of minutes to see if she will go back to sleep on her own this has been giong on for 5 months there has been no changes lately and mikayla is a generally happy baby. she really doesn't cry about anything all smiles all the time. Mikayla shares a room with me she always has we did try to put her in the other room with our oldest daughter and that was no sleep at all for 3 days i need help i think it is seperation anxity because on saturday and sunday nights she sleeps just fine because i am home with her all day! What do you think!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Just wondering if any of these suggestions worked!?!
r u still not getting any sleep?