User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ughhh

I'm not necessarily the wife of a trucker, but I'm 17 and my boyfriend got his CDL A over this past summer. It's really tough for us to get time together because we have to work around both our schedules, and I'll be getting another job soon so we'll have less time together. I'm really excited for him, and he loves his job so far... It's just really hard to keep things "alive" when we can't see each other. We've been trying to go out when he's here and do different things, but it's really hard for me not seeing him all the time.

Does anyone have any advice on how we can keep the relationship going strong? I don't want to leave him, we've been together for almost three years now... I just miss him like crazy...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Board Regular

nope dont see it working out to well, you are extremely young and you at your age need the time together unlike "older" drivers that have either been married for yrs or really just enjoy getting away from there other half...i wish you luck, but i dont see it working out if he is a otr driver.....maybe he should look towards driving local and being home nightly.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

17 aint you still in high school??? How old is he??? I would try to talk him into a local job.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Rookie

It's been working alright for a while. I'm 17 and he's 21. He says he wants to go local again, but he can't make the money he needs that way, and I know he doesn't like it as much as xc. I don't want to force him into something if he's going to be miserable. The two local jobs he worked made him depressed as anything imaginable.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

For my husband and I (I realize its a little different but my best comparison), we have cell phones with unlimited mobile to mobile minutes and talk a LOT. He has a bluetooth headset, so can talk hands free. Thats also what we did when we maintained a long distance relationship before we got married. It makes the times you do see him more special, but still lets you be a part of each others lives.

If he doesn't like local, don't force him to go local. You don't want him miserable, thinking its what you want, it will backfire.

We were young too, it can be done, but is harder. If you make it though, you're stronger for it, as is the relationship. Everybody said when I went to college and he went to boot camp we would never make it. That was 3 kids, a marriage, and almost 10 years ago now
Do your best to be available when he is home, so you can spend what time you do have with him. I realize its hard with scheduling, but do your best, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Board Regular

Autumn I agree with Madii'swife. Having a cellphone for each of you and mobile to mobile minutes is the way to go. When I'm on the road I use my Bluetooth as well. There are times when I can't talk while driving, of course, but they're great to have. My hubby can get ahold of me anytime. We can talk for hours. I know we're not together physically but we are together. When I do get home it makes it all worthwhile. The first couple of years is the hardest adjustment. Like others have said, don't force him to take a local if it'll make him miserable. BOL