User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default new truckers wife

hi guys, my husband just started about tree weeks ago. we have been to gether for ten years and he has always worked two jobs since the day we met. i am a stay at home mom with seven kids, yes i said seven, all ours and all wanted. anyway i have 5 girls and two boys. tier ages are 9, 8, 7, 4, 3, 2, and 3months. six of them are adjusting very well with him being in school for a month and away for a week at a time it wasnt that hard. my 8 year old girl is having trouble, she is very smart and is now having trouble in school and listening at home. she is seeing a councelor at school but im wondering if there is anyone who has any ideas on how to help her adjust to this new life. i was also a truckers daughter but i was already in my teens so had no problems adjusting to the life.

[/quote]God does not give you anything you cant handle so no matter how hard it seems keep moving forward.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 PM

WOW! 7 kids! :shock: Much braver woman than I

I think it's important to get the kids involved with Dad's new job. Make them see that they aren't being abandoned by Dad, but he's out doing his best to support them.

There's always the "map on the wall" Following Dad on his trips, helping plan his next ones and seeing how many different places he goes. Have them start planning for things to do when they get home. Maybe you could all have a little secret and make cards to stash away in his bag before he leaves out again. They could have little messages to call that child and talk to them. Then they'll be all excited waiting on Dad to call
Old 12-29-2006, 02:54 AM
Rookie

Thanks those sound like great ideas and the kids like them so we will see how it works. My 8 year old has already decided her dad has abandoned her so any ideas are welcome.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 AM

When I married my wife 1 1/2 years ago she rode with me for about 6 months, her oldest son (who was living with his father) was having a hard time why he couldnt see mommy as much. we got him an atlas and every time we called him he would look up where we were and where we were going...he can now route a truck better than most dispatchers, and knows almost every state. if we called him from say Georgia one day, then the next time we called, we would ask him questions about the place we last called him...it got him very involved and he learned his states and capitals.

another thing to do is if he can bring his truck home, let the kids ride in it and see how he lives. my step kids thought it was neat that we had a tv and fridge and bed and most of the comforts of home...

The card in his bag will mean so much to him...the job I do know I only spend one night away at a time and my wife still does that to me...when I was OTR, she would hide a few cards in the truck when I left out. when I found them, I would save them until I really was missing her before I would open them.

Hope this helps some...

Rick