User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Coming to the Experts for some answers...

Hi all. I am married to a great guy and he happens to drive a truck. Last June he got a speeding ticket going 16 over. He also has another ticket from February, that he just pled guilty to and paid, it was for 7 over. We've hired an attorney for the major to try and get it reduced. It went to court last week and it didn't get reduced or dismissed,so the attorney continued it until next month. He basically told my husband he had 3 options 1. Plead guilty and pay the fine 2. Go back to court next month and try to get a reduction again, hoping that it will get reduced to a lesser offense, or 3. Go on unsupervised probation for 12 months after which time they will remove it completely from his driving record, but it will be on his record for the 12 months and it will be an admission of guilt.

What would be his best option. Also, I am the worrier of the family and I know that this going on his record could possibly disqualify him from driving if his Companys insurance company says so. He thinks that he will probably be put on probation for 6 months, but not let go if the ticket sticks as is. I know him well enough to know that he is probably sugarcoating the situation to keep me from freaking out.

So, anybody willing to tell me the facts. At least what they would be for you in your job if this happened to you? If he is let go, is unemployment even an option? Anybody have any firsthand experience?

I'm really just trying to get my options lined up if the worse does happen. Also, how long before he'd be able to get another driving job? He currently drives mostly local for a small company, and is usually home at least 5 nights a week, most weeks. Going over the road again, is something we really don't want to do, but will if its possible to get hired.

I'm counting on you guys for any help. I can take it good or bad, either way, like I said I just want to know.

Thanks !
Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Dancing with the bright Pixies at University of Edinburgh

Sorry I can,t help but my thoughts are with you both.
Believe me, I know the kind of worries you have right now.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Old 11-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Rookie
Default Sorry

Sorry to hear about your husband not sure what will happen with the court or his job. I am new to the truck driving world. Have faith and think positive---and remember God doesn't give us what we can't handle. Good Luck and Best Wishes
Old 11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm no expert but I'd go with Door #2but there is no way I'm going to give Legal Advise on here.
Your Lawyer doesn't seem to be doing too much.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys for the replies. Yea, I think #2 is a given, even with the additional attorney fees, if there's a chance we can get it knocked down, then we have to take it, plus I think he can get the 12 month probabtion option, if worse comes to worse in December. I'm hoping that by the court date being after election, the court might be more lenient. Unfortunately, the ticket was aquired in a metro area that has decided this year to really crack down on ticket reductions to drivers. According to his attorney, they are losing tons of revenue and things hopefully will be more favorable in December. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm still curious though from the drivers, would a major moving violation with another ticket on your record put you out of work and keep you out of work. Would just a major violation put you out of work? Asking, this because I think speeding tickets only stay on a year in our state and February is right aroung the corner for the other one.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Just thought I would update as the ticket went to court yesterday for a 2nd time, and Thank Goodness it was reduced! Christmas came early to our house, and I can finally relax about this! Thanks to all who replied.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Board Member