User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Where do I park this thing?

For the past 6 years and change, I've always dropped my trailer at a warehouse, parked my truck at their shop, and drove my pickup home at the end of the week. However, things in the world of second-tier retail transportation haven't been going so well and I've been thinking about going back over the road. If I did that, I'd need a place to park. Nobody around here (that I know of) has a decent lot that would support a truck and trailer. Also, I doubt I'd be able to fit the trailer in my driveway and still come and go in the pickup. Even then, I'd need to perform tree surgery to do that.
That being said, how did y'all go about finding places to park when at home?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I use a truck stop that isn't too far from me. I have had a couple of other places where I have parked, but this has worked out about as well as anything. I have had a few things stolen over the years. I have been trying to find a better place to park. I have known some who have paid to park at storage places. It is a shame there isn't a truck stop near you. With the TA now a distant memory, you would need to drive about 50 miles to the nearest truck stop.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

For about six years I had a parking lot all to myself as the building sat empty. I kept an eye on things and plowed the lot in winter and it was a good deal for both of us, then the owner leased it out. For the past year I've been paying $100 a month to park in the local dumpy truck stop. I've looked around trying to find free parking but no go. I've found lots of places that would let me park on weekends for time home but not on a daily basis. All I can say is ask around thats what I've been doing.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 12-09-2014, 01:00 AM
Board Icon

Dunno how exactly it works out but I've seen a few park their trucks at the Chicken Coop on 95 just North of Dumfries, Va. Leave their cars parked there on the southbound side, get in their truck and go. Other times they get dropped off.