User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 9' Wide Van House

Hello,

I'm looking at turning a 53' Drop Frame trailer (2005 Aztec w/ 17.5s or something similar) into a house. I would like to make it 9' wide, 13'6" High, w/ a Curtain system for transport. Eventually I will be shipping it across country, and am wondering how difficult/expensive it would be to get this pulled about 3,000 miles from Maryland to Oregon? I'm figuring it will have around 20,000lbs on top of the trailer. I really want to build this, but I need to make sure I'm going to be able to reasonably move it first.

Thanks
Old 12-20-2014, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I have no idea what it would cost to move your project from Maryland to Oregon. You may want to re-post your questions on the "Owner Operator" forum. You'd probably have a better chance of receiving feedback from drivers who are in the know.

Your post does beg a question in my mind. Why don't you just wait until you move to Oregon to buy a suitable trailer and transform it into a livable dwelling?? No doubt, the cost of transporting your trailer is going to run well into the thousands of dollars; thousands of dollars that won't improve the quality of living in your mobile dwelling in the least. Shipping costs will require outlays of money that you'll never see again. The dollars you'll have to spend shipping your trailer across the continent might be better spent on improving your project.

Shipping costs are just one part of a larger equation. What all would be involved with matters of permits and insurance?? I don't even know where to begin addressing those issues.

Not trying to discourage you; just offering you some things to think about.

Last edited by Useless; 12-20-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would expect to pay around $3/mile plus permits. It would probably be better to transport the trailer to build it in California rather than trying to transport the oversize trailer. If you are modifying a trailer, it would not be a big deal to transport a legal trailer across the country and then modify it once you reach your destination. You should find someone to transport the trailer for you for around $2/mile or perhaps a little less. Some people will haul freight for next to nothing to go to California.