User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default hobbies and what not- that DO cost money.

saw the other thread and i figured this would be cool too.

as for me.. i got a few.

1. my 87 buick grand national. this is something i'd never in my life give up. ever. the car is a 100% driver. its a very very late build 87. it has every option (more then an GNX actually).but... missing 4 options from being optioned out. right now she's down for a resto. the car is drivin in everything but snow. oh.. and i race it at the track. with the new motor if i really turned the wick up she SHOULD run mid to low 10's.... with the ac on.

2. my dog nikki. she's a pure german boxer. she used to go with me in the truck every day. people say they're too big for the truck.. there is no place she'd rather be.

3. just starting to build a 88 porsche 944. but... it will be a 100% track car. going soon for the chassis. be fitted with a custom 4 link, TH350 and a vw VR6. going import racing. for the class its in the car needs to go mid to high 7's.. we'll see should be fun!

posting a few pics.. what do ya'll do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buickflorida.jpg (33.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 944.jpg (88.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg nikkisleepingtruck.jpg (48.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg nikkitruck.jpg (73.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'm thinking of getting another Jeep, as a toy, not a daily runner. I'm keeping my Ford F-150 for that.
My last one was this nice TJ Sahara, but this time I don't want a nice looker, but one I can dent and dent some more.

I am rebuilding my snowblower right now. My brother-in-law borrowed it and ran over an electric cord and tore the auger out of it. That's after he blew the motor on his.
It's an old Yard Man with a 10.5 hp tecumseh, and throws snow better than the fancy new ones, so I'll keep the old geezer working.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Just so you know, putting those lights on my camper are anything but free. I've put roughly $800 into the setup to date. But, the lights have a 20,000hr lifetime and I'm planning on keeping that camper for quite a few years.

I always loved the Grand Nationals & GNX's. Of course, I graduated high school in '86, so that was one of THE cars to have. The closest I came to that was an '85 Buick Regal with the 3.8 liter turbo V-6. Well, it was supposed to have that engine. The turbo had fried on the original engine and it had been swapped out to a normal 3.8. I also had a mid-80's Pontiac Grand Prix (same body style as the Regal) that someone had put a Buick 350 into. THAT car was fun to drive.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Senior Board Member

If you want to save money don't ever start reloading ammo! I started reloading to save money on .357mag. I spent so much getting into it that I had to reload others and that lead to buying other guns and that led to buying casting equipment and that led to buying lead and propane and that led buying more bullet moulds cause no two guns have the same size chamber and barrel and that led to buying better micrometers and such, I'm still waiting for the saveings.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post

I'm thinking of getting another Jeep, as a toy, not a daily runner. I'm keeping my Ford F-150 for that.
My last one was this nice TJ Sahara, but this time I don't want a nice looker, but one I can dent and dent some more.

I am rebuilding my snowblower right now. My brother-in-law borrowed it and ran over an electric cord and tore the auger out of it. That's after he blew the motor on his.
It's an old Yard Man with a 10.5 hp tecumseh, and throws snow better than the fancy new ones, so I'll keep the old geezer working.
thats just a good looking jeep! i'm fighting like hell to do off roading.. i bought my liberty to keep me OUT of trouble.... needless to say.. i dont.. haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Just so you know, putting those lights on my camper are anything but free. I've put roughly $800 into the setup to date. But, the lights have a 20,000hr lifetime and I'm planning on keeping that camper for quite a few years.

I always loved the Grand Nationals & GNX's. Of course, I graduated high school in '86, so that was one of THE cars to have. The closest I came to that was an '85 Buick Regal with the 3.8 liter turbo V-6. Well, it was supposed to have that engine. The turbo had fried on the original engine and it had been swapped out to a normal 3.8. I also had a mid-80's Pontiac Grand Prix (same body style as the Regal) that someone had put a Buick 350 into. THAT car was fun to drive.
the lights look awesome. are they easy to put up or down? that could be a answer at the track for my brother if they're bright enough. when i was in high school i just couldnt afford a GN. so.. i got a 85 SS. loved the car. but it costed me a lot of money to keep up with and just wasnt.. right. went to work one day right before i graduated hs and someone told me there was a GN at the nissan dealer.. low and behold.. it was. saw the price walked away.. the sales man really pushed me to drive it.. needless to say.. i didnt care what it took i wanted the car. picked it up 7/3/01. at this point the car has over 100 passes at the track, i put about 30k on it and just love the hell out of it. now its time to take it easy on the old girl. while her motor is more then stout (and fresh only about 583 miles on it) i dont have much of a desire to beat the balls off it like i used to.. it'll still go down the track, sitll get flogged just not like before. i'm hoping next year (end of next year) i'm sending it down to a great shop in GA for a resto. i want show room not show car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
If you want to save money don't ever start reloading ammo! I started reloading to save money on .357mag. I spent so much getting into it that I had to reload others and that lead to buying other guns and that led to buying casting equipment and that led to buying lead and propane and that led buying more bullet moulds cause no two guns have the same size chamber and barrel and that led to buying better micrometers and such, I'm still waiting for the saveings.
i hear thats the biggest addiction. i know people that just cant stop buying guns and ammo.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i hear thats the biggest addiction. i know people that just cant stop buying guns and ammo.
Tell me about it. Buying guns is ADDICTING! I speak from my own experience. Within the last year I've bought as many as eleven guns, some of them really high end and expensive. Its really burned a hole in my wallet. And ammo costs are high too.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorist View Post
Tell me about it. Buying guns is ADDICTING! I speak from my own experience. Within the last year I've bought as many as eleven guns, some of them really high end and expensive. Its really burned a hole in my wallet. And ammo costs are high too.
SEE!! It's people like you are why we need a one gun a month law!!
Your one gun short last year, this will be your last warning.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Board Icon

Guns don't blow a big hole in your budget…. people do.

There should be a law free ammo, if you are a tax payer.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
SEE!! It's people like you are why we need a one gun a month law!!
Your one gun short last year, this will be your last warning.
In most cases I do have to go by an unwritten one gun a month law since guns are expensive. It had been many years since I had bought a gun until last year and ss it is now, I probably won't be buying any more guns for quite awhile mostly due to financial reasons. This last year I just splurged.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

My daughter has a hobby that she's very good at, but it's a very expensive hobby; she's a very talented magician.
Every time she comes within 25 feet of me, all of the money in my wallet DISAPPEARS!!