User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Post-jackknife fears

Hello all. Id like to thank anyone in advance for giving me some much needed advice.
So anyway, Ive been driving for just two years now. Back in February, while traveling up to Romulus MI empty, I jackknifed the truck. Was going about 40mph, a good gust caught my empty and so on. No injuries or other parties involved. No citation either. Drove the truck away from the scene after I was cleared. Now I have learned some things from this mishap. Why I should have waited that morning to head for the load, because the conditions were unfavorable. (Felt pushed to go anyway being on tight Automotive lane). I learned that if Im going under 50mph, I probably shouldnt be running it. My issue now is the fear. I had no prior accidents, so that really was burned into my memory. The winter is just getting over with and Im already dreading the next winter! Can someone share some advice on how to get over the fear after an accident? I enjoy my job and Id hate to let myself ruin this industry for me. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 03:16 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Zachary Reynolds View Post
Hello all. Id like to thank anyone in advance for giving me some much needed advice.
So anyway, Ive been driving for just two years now. Back in February, while traveling up to Romulus MI empty, I jackknifed the truck. Was going about 40mph, a good gust caught my empty and so on. No injuries or other parties involved. No citation either. Drove the truck away from the scene after I was cleared. Now I have learned some things from this mishap. Why I should have waited that morning to head for the load, because the conditions were unfavorable. (Felt pushed to go anyway being on tight Automotive lane). I learned that if Im going under 50mph, I probably shouldnt be running it. My issue now is the fear. I had no prior accidents, so that really was burned into my memory. The winter is just getting over with and Im already dreading the next winter! Can someone share some advice on how to get over the fear after an accident? I enjoy my job and Id hate to let myself ruin this industry for me. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

didja learn from your mistake? Can you identify the conditions better next time? And would you do it differently?

I personally have NEVER made a mistake.

I have just learned that there are several different ways to do things. Some with more desirable results than others. The not so desirable results I try not to do again in the future.

Getting anxiety over something will not help you. I am not saying it's wrong to feel what you are feeling. By all means, it's totally appropriate. If anything, those new "gut feelings" will keep you out of trouble next time. Acknowledge them, accept them and heed them. But don't let them control you.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

since your worried about next winter....get through the summer first and see how it goes...by then you might not fear it or you might not even like trucking anymore..
Old 04-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Board Icon

Good advice there from Bigmon. But, I assume you've driven in winter before since you have 2 years? Mostly, what I can say is that if one is afraid of his truck he might not should be driving. It's not for everyone. If you feel like a little pea in a big pod and you are just along for the ride, you're in trouble. You must feel like the captain of a ship... always in control.

On a more technical note: Always remember that empty trailers are nothing but a big "sail" in the wind. So, give yourself an "out" to the leeward side. Be prepared to steer WITH the wind if you feel it (the trailer) moving behind you. This will lessen the effect of the wind. And something that i'm sure SOMEONE will disagree with.... If the wind is coming from your left, and you can legally stay in the left lane, it might be a good idea. Most roads have a "crown" along the center stripe. The left lane leans down and to the left (draining water into the median.) This will add weight/ballast to the lower rail and tires of the left side, while presenting a "wedge" of sorts to the wind to help divide it... allowing more to go over the top instead of hitting the side with full force. Basically... it's like "leaning into the wind" instead of standing straight up.

And you're right. If it's too windy to maintain 50+ mph with an empty, you should probably park it for awhile.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.