User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Journalist
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Do you like the company you work for?

Hi Everyone-

I'm compiling a list of the best companies to work for this year. Do you work for a particularly great company? Let me know, and tell me why you think it's great. Do they pay you well? Give you a lot of miles?

Thanks,

Rachael
Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

It's a love hate thing! I love the miles and I hate the miles. I do have to admit tho, I made one phone call today and had no problem shutting down due the weather. Been here 7 years come April and I'll hit a million miles this summer, you tell me how's the miles?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I know what you mean about loving and hating the miles at the same time. I love the pay from 3,100 miles a week (6 day week), but I hate running 3,100 miles in 6 days.

As for liking the company I work for? Well, I wouldn't call it "like", but they're the best fit for me. This is my 4th time working here since 2008. They treat me decent, gave me a brand new truck with an automatic when I requested it after throwing out my back, and get me home when I need to be there.

Repete - 7 years and a million miles: Yup - they're running you HARD
Old 03-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I do it in a 5 day week. They seem to keep you movin too. To bad I don't get paid by the mile I'd make an extra $300 aweek over what I get paid. It was good money years ago when I was a newbie not so much now. oh well thats truckin

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 03-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Senior Board Member

The one thing I'm really happy about is that they've learned how bad I hate going to the northeast. Yes, it pays an extra $0.04 per mile, but to me, it's not worth it - dealing with traffic, trying to find places to park, etc. My favorite runs are 3 or 4 days in one direction. Reload, then return. Those are the easy 3,200 mile per week runs. We used to be paid on percentage, but a *LOT* of the time, the driver got the shaft because of hauling cheap freight. My worst was a load from Boston to Pittsburgh that paid me $0.18 per mile. Of course, they always "forgot" to tell you what the load paid when they dispatched you on it.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Took me longer to get to a million miles than Repete, but I bet I did more backing.
Mine was almost all grocery warehouse, and the last few years I had to switch over to flatbed, so I could slowly rotate back to normal society.

I'd be driving drop deck in the Bakken right now, if my health allowed me to.
Now I just walk around with a steering wheel in me pants, because retired life is driving me nuts.