Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Do you like the company you work for? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/44594-do-you-like-company-you-work.html)

rachaelroth 03-11-2014 11:22 PM

Do you like the company you work for?

Hi Everyone-

I'm compiling a list of the best companies to work for this year. Do you work for a particularly great company? Let me know, and tell me why you think it's great. Do they pay you well? Give you a lot of miles?

Thanks,

Rachael

repete 03-12-2014 10:06 PM

It's a love hate thing! I love the miles and I hate the miles. I do have to admit tho, I made one phone call today and had no problem shutting down due the weather. Been here 7 years come April and I'll hit a million miles this summer, you tell me how's the miles?

Malaki86 03-12-2014 11:31 PM

I know what you mean about loving and hating the miles at the same time. I love the pay from 3,100 miles a week (6 day week), but I hate running 3,100 miles in 6 days.

As for liking the company I work for? Well, I wouldn't call it "like", but they're the best fit for me. This is my 4th time working here since 2008. They treat me decent, gave me a brand new truck with an automatic when I requested it after throwing out my back, and get me home when I need to be there.

Repete - 7 years and a million miles: Yup - they're running you HARD

repete 03-13-2014 04:51 AM

I do it in a 5 day week. They seem to keep you movin too. To bad I don't get paid by the mile I'd make an extra $300 aweek over what I get paid. It was good money years ago when I was a newbie not so much now. oh well thats truckin

Malaki86 03-13-2014 07:38 AM

The one thing I'm really happy about is that they've learned how bad I hate going to the northeast. Yes, it pays an extra $0.04 per mile, but to me, it's not worth it - dealing with traffic, trying to find places to park, etc. My favorite runs are 3 or 4 days in one direction. Reload, then return. Those are the easy 3,200 mile per week runs. We used to be paid on percentage, but a *LOT* of the time, the driver got the shaft because of hauling cheap freight. My worst was a load from Boston to Pittsburgh that paid me $0.18 per mile. Of course, they always "forgot" to tell you what the load paid when they dispatched you on it.

Roadhog 03-13-2014 07:50 PM

Took me longer to get to a million miles than Repete, but I bet I did more backing. :)
Mine was almost all grocery warehouse, and the last few years I had to switch over to flatbed, so I could slowly rotate back to normal society.

I'd be driving drop deck in the Bakken right now, if my health allowed me to.
Now I just walk around with a steering wheel in me pants, because retired life is driving me nuts.