User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

hahaha thanks guys. Ill look into the greek slave thing. Can they be hot females?
Yes any goodsized boat they use a crane .. but every marina has one specifically for that and they are relatively inexpensive (a couple hundred or so). The yearly maintenance requires haulout and pressure washing which they charge hundreds for. Marinas are designed as giant money sinks and the people foolish enough to buy the latest $500,000 yacht that cost 100k to actually build think that's normal.

Thing is i'm a trucker. I dont have a lot of free time so it's not like it will get used regularly. It may be years between trips. Not paying 500+ a month and a few thousand a year in fees so the boat can sit in someones marina. I think i can avoid overheight without a problem. Wide load meh 10'5 is wide but no biggy on the interstates id need to travel. I dont need a shiny new trailer.. just something mechanically sound. I can just leave the boat stored on the trailer (which avoids some problems w storeage). I think you're right about hte problem being with renting the truck etc. I'm not sure what the cost of your authority is or if it would be worth it as i assume you have regular renewal fees that would hurt. That's always been the biggest problem with this plan.

As for learning to sail i do plan on doing so. I occasionally use sail simulators. Ill take a few lessons in a small boat and then rent one and sail a few days then i plan on finding an experienced sailor and paying him cash or in adventure and beer to teach me in My boat. Honestly i figure if i can flatbed/bedbug/haul containers etc.. and survive basic training etc i can handle learning to sail.

Also i would absolutely LOVE a trimaran! But every single fee a trimaran pays is astronomical. Just docking for a day for supplies etc etc can bankrupt you.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Board Icon

First thing's first, it's not a rope it's a line. You call it a rope and a trainer might toss ya overboard to the sharkies!! A sim is nice to play on but the real world experience is key. The wind and waves cannot be properly simulated for real life. You might launch at shore with 10 knots then get out a few hundred feet and find the wind gusting/swirling at 30 and over you go because you launched from a lee. One thing I learned on my own while learning how to sail, if I felt it was over my head, I would crank the mast head on into the wind, the no go zone and have a reset. Turns out that was the right approach for a novice in ugly conditions for even experienced sailors.

Have you thought about insurance on the boat itself? Or even renting it out when your not using it? Are you planning on getting it new or used? I've seen people pick up used boats for cheap and got a heck of a deal. I've also seen screw jobs where they were better off buying new with the amount of money they had to put out to make it sea worthy again. Hulls rotted out and such.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

​………………………………………………
…………………………………....

​(swagger-swagger…double step- hip thrust-hip thrust- spin-- ball and chain, high scissor kick razzle dazzle…arms spread...TAH DAH)

Yar, aye was thinking, me thinks, "well, aye always make smart comments and joke around, maybe aye should be serious for once."

So aye sez, sez aye, …you know what a sailor could do, in a tight situation like this...

down off the gulf coast, there are plenty of old rich wimmin, who have out lived several husbands, you know the type, big blonde wig, spandex used in ways that hurt your eyes, a big bag with a little mutt that has a "kill me" look, and she has that obnoxious NJ accent…. but she has her own dock… and would think a 75' sailboat would be so romantic. Once you get your boat and gear, point it for open water, and send her a Husband #4 lost a sea, message.

Don't use your real name cdreid… or carlos danger… …don't try Hog either… aye've already been lost at sea.