User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Lighting ???????????????????????????????????????

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here and I want to tell you up front I am not a driver but had some friends in the past who were. I am a retired machnist with a question.

I haven't seen any lately but back in the day I used to see them a lot. They were in on conventional rigs. mounted in front or beside the headlights, and extended op past the top of the fenders. They looked like a clear plastic rod with a red tip at the top so when the lights were on the tip would glow red. I assumed they were like fiber optic rod and the drive could tell where the front corner of the rig was.

Does anyone know what they are called and where I can get a pair.

I just traded my boat for another one and on the first one I could see the tail lights in my mirrors so I alwaws knew if they were working. But on this one I can't see them and there is no plase to move them to that would help. And it bothers me. I thought I a pair of those rods might work.

Thanks
Jake
Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

They are called ~ stainless steel illuminated bumper guides.... or just bumper guides.
Google that, and you will find plenty of online stores that sell them.
check on eBay

Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Senior Board Member

If you go up to the north west corner of Michigan, you can probably find a set in Hoggies garage.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Board Icon

...they're in with a stack of old CB antennas.

I hope JBIII comes back and tells us some of his fishing stories.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys I found the guides, however they won't work for this application. I need to use fiber optics.

You asked for a fishing story, you get one.

I am 63 years old, 5'1" short and weigh 105lb dressed. From 1998 up untill 2003 before they (The Greedy B@$#ards) managed to ship all the manufacturing jos overseas. I would save my $$$$ and fly to the Florida Keys one a year and fish the flats with light tackle. Something I wanted to do since I was 8 or 10 yesrs old and saw Curt Goudy do it on American Sportsmen. I fished with a guide named John (Dozer) Donnell) who guided a lot for Flip Pallet on an ESPN show called Walkers Kay Chronicles.

I the nine times I was down over the years I caught many Redfish & Snook on spoons and my bass spinning rods and on my #5 Sage fly rod. And also a lot of Snook on topwater lures using my bass baitcasting rods, plus Snappers and Jack Crevelle. We drove up to Biscayne Bay one day and came across a, what he told me was at least a sate record, and maybe even a world record Permit. He poled after that fish in 20 MPH wint for three hours befor I got a shot at it.

"Here we go." He said, "He's gonna come right down this bank." but I stll couldn't see the fish. The water is really choppy and besides he is 6'2" and standing on a platform 4' higher than the deck, so he has a better angle to see into the water. Then he starts directing me by me pointing the rod and straight ahead of the bow is 12 o-clock. The fish is coming from my right to left, so it "Jake he's at 1 o-clock, still to far." "I still can't see him." "12 o-clock, still to long of a cast" "Still no see" "Don't worry and don't move, I'll keep him at 12 o-clock. "Jake he's 40' 12 o-clock" "No see" "Right there, right there, 20' put the fly in the water, 2 rod lengths 12 o-clock." Right then I saw the fin. All that time the fly was draging in the water 15' from the tip of my #7 Sage which was extended over starboard rail. So I just had to flip th rod forward and it would be there, then hold on.

Did you ever fish with a guid and have him totaly flip out on you?? Happened to me!!!!

When the fly hit the water all hell broke loose and John started screaming at me at the top of his lungs. "Jake, I pushed this boat all over Biscayne Bay for 3 hours and you cast to a little shark." And on and on and on.

What had happened was the fin I saw wasn't the Permit it was a 3' Bull shark that just happened to show up at the wrong place, wrong time. And bye the way, the shark missed the fly. And John spent the next 3 years apologizing

In 2003 however the story was different. It ws 110 deg. no breeze I had cast a fly to maybe 30 fish, no takes. Then here he comes right to left about 50 or 60' away. And I saw this one first. He was deep about 5' in 6' of water and gonna pass 30' in front of the boat. Now timing is everything. The fly sinks very slowly, and it has to get deep enough and be in front and just above him when he gets there. So I make the cast out past and in front of him. Then let it sink and lightly strip line until hopefully it is in the right place at the right time. Sort of like shooting a running deer. Well when he gets within 20' he starts coming up and at 10' his mouth the size of a basketball only a rectangle starts to open. The next thing I remember besides almost going overboard, is trying to get down off the forward deck to the bottom of the boat where I could get my knees against the side of the boat to regain my ballance.

A minute later John says, "Jake I hate to tell you this but that is a #10 or 12 fish you only have a #7 and 15lb tippit, you'll never land that fish." I just said, "You think not?"

Now remember I'm 52 at the time, 5'1, 105lb, and it's 110deg. But I have few things going for me. I've watched those guys on TV since I was 8, and I studied them, and I practiced for this for years. I've cought a few 20 -25lb Stripers and salmon on 4lb tippet. But I never thought I would get the chance at a Tarpon on the fly.

The first thing I did when I got my ballance was started my stopwatch. Then the game was on. A half hour in I said, "John, if I can keep him on another 15min. I'll land him." He just said, "You think so?" An hour in I almost passed out, eveything went black for a few seconds and my knees buckled. Heat exhaustion. I finally drank some water and had to keep John from cutting the line. An hour and a quarter or so in. The tippit came through the rod eye and he says I can cut it off now, it's a legal caught fish. I told him I didn't come here to cut him off, I'm gonna touch that SOB. 15 min later. Tippit back in the rod a few more times and 100 yard out a few more times and another round of pass out and keeping John from cutting the line. He kept saying I was gonna kill myself. I told him it'll be you I kill if you cut the fricking line. So he went back to taking pictures and shut up.

1 hour 55 min. 2:15 pm. John has the fish by the jaw and I'm trying to keep from crying. He measured a calculated the weight to be about 155lb, it was right at 6' 6" with a 37" girth.

After we revived the fish and me he sat down and untied the leader and rolled it up and handed it to me and said that one is retire, That by far the best job I've ever seen a better job done by a first timer, hell I've guided for 25 years and you did better than most. And on a #7 with 15lb "Holy Cow That's Braggin Rights For Sure"

The next day I HAD to fish again, he asked me what I wanted to do. I said lets catch something little! My hands were so sore I could barely hold the rod. My arms and back were to the touch sore and I had a 3" black and blue spot on my belly from the rod butt. I was sore for two weeks.

You asked for it, you got it.

If someone can tell me how to post pics I will, I've tried. Now I also need to know how to delete attachments. LOL
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Board Icon

(swagger-swagger-stagger-stagger)
(wipes Rum soaked chin... stinks of fish bait)

Great story Jake... please keep'em coming!

I finally caught this convict fish.
He was always stealing my bait.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Board Icon

​Garh Har harrrh!
any hunting stories?

sunset hunt in the oat fields outside my shack on San Pablo Bay.
my dog Pluto, 4 ringneck pheasants, Ithaca 12 ga. pump on top step.

I'd take walks with my dog most every sunrise and sunset.
Some pretty good memories, and cooking these birds over a campfire I had set up behind the shack.
We'd both howl at the moon, and mark over each others territory all the time.
He had a better nose, but I was a better hunter... and I crap bigger than him.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Board Icon

My pheasant shack on San Pablo Bay in the last post, was right at the mouth of the Petaluma River.
I use to put in a boat there, and go fishing sturgeon in the Bay.
You mostly caught 3-4 footers, and occasionally a 6 footer.
Mostly catch and release, but if you want to eat one of these, they are really tasty fish smoked.

To the east of me was Mare Island and the mouth of the Napa river, and further up, the Sacramento river delta.
You could fish these sturgeon all through this water.
The video is of some guy bringing in a 120# 6 footer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rOwer5fdpao#! I use to put my boat in Tomales Bay or Bodega Bay out on the coast, and fish for sharks and sting rays.
They had a fishing derby every Spring, I'd sometimes enter.
The sting rays were 4 foot door mats, and hard as hell to coax off the bottom. Blood worms for bait.
You could collect your own worms on the mud flats at low tide.

Most of my shark fishing was off Padre Island, Tx. (I used Skip Jacks for cut bait, they are real bloody fish)
I had a shack right on Corpus Christi Bay, sand and surf right out my door.
Pluto & I lived off BBQ shrimp and Fish. (Flounder, Sea Trout, Pompano, Sheepshead, Bass, etc)
I got my eating shrimp from a buddy who had a shrimp fishing boat. They brought in those big Tiger Prawns.

But for bait, I could just throw a net in the surf, in front of my shack.
You would wade along until you felt the shrimp on your legs, then toss.
We called them bait, but some people called them popcorn shrimp, so they didn't have to say, they are eating fish bait.

But of course my biggest challenge, was waking up under a 7 foot Northern Michigan female Sasquatch.
You may have to gnaw your arm off to get away. I have some stories, but mostly repressed memories.
You can hear the screams in the night, down by the swamps.

Last edited by Roadhog; 11-26-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Board Icon