User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ahhh healthy truck drivers?!!!!! What a concept, although if you havent already looked, most of the Flying J;s that have a Denny's in them do offer a more healthy choice of food in them. I think the industry is getting the message that we need to eat better while we are on the road, I being one of them! My wife is studying to be a health coach and she is teaching me what and what not to eat and it does work, I have lost 25 pounds in the last 4 months and continue to lose!

Its rather simple to do and anyone of you can do this. Try and eat healthy all the time, if the label has a list of ingredients that are as long as your arm, then dont eat it, its junk! Try to eat natural foods, nuts, fruit of all kinds, organic if you go to the super market and organic frozen foods like Annie's brand. I eat these all the time while out on the road, they are not the greatest but they are at least organic and dont have all those pescky chemicals in them that do harm you. (And make you FAT!) While your checking out at most truck stops put down the candy bar and eat a bannana instead or an apple!

Stop drinking diet drinks! They are poison! Im not kidding you would think your doing yourself a favor by drinking diet soda but your not, they are full of chemicals like aspartame and sugar suppliments that are really really bad for you. Drink water! I like lipton all natural teas, most truck stops have them now and they have less sugar in them try one. Dont drink the diet packs that you pour into a bottle of water they also contain aspartame. Use honey in your tea instead of coffee and I know this ones gonna hurt but stop drinking coffee too! Its not that good for you anyway! Stop eating the snacks like chips and pretzles and garbage, try a piece of fruit instead.

If you cut out soda like I did (I was a coke drinker all the time 2 to 3 a day) and get off the sugar rush, you will lose weight! Simple and small changes in your eating behavior will make a noticeable difference in your life! I personally went from 320 lbs to 295 lbs and I feel so much better. My joints dont hurt as much and I dont get as tired as I was getting. Believe me if I can do it then anyone can! My goal is another 50 lbs at least so I can go back to the gym and work out again like I used too! Just remember I lost this weight by making a few small adjustments to my diet, I still have ice cream when ever I want,(Not too often) and its ok to do so in moderation.

My advice, get yourself a cooler or plug in cooler, a micro wave and start eating in your truck for a while and stay out of the truck stops so you can control portion size and what you eat. You dont want to be eating all you can at the TA anymore! Best of luck!
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree with most of what you said, especially the cooler and microwave. In fact, spend a few bucks and get a real fridge and keep the thermoelectric POS for a backup. Save money and eat better. It's a double win.

You're wrong about coffee. I know it's counter-intuitive but study after study has shown that coffee is good for you.

Now let me show my ignorance... The health people are always talking about how we should be eating fruits and vegetables all the time. I agree about the veggies. I like veggies. But this morning I was checking out of a motel and they had some bananas as an item in the continental breakfast so I ate one while starting down the road. It's the first fruit I've eaten in a long time and I was struck by what a sugar bomb it was. I couldn't wait until my coffee rinsed the sugar from my mouth it was so bad. So then I got thinking about other fruit and how sweet it all is. Am I off on a stinking thinking kind of tangent here or is fruit just as bad for you as glazed doughnuts?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
I agree with most of what you said, especially the cooler and microwave. In fact, spend a few bucks and get a real fridge and keep the thermoelectric POS for a backup. Save money and eat better. It's a double win.

Yes Yes Yes!

You're wrong about coffee. I know it's counter-intuitive but study after study has shown that coffee is good for you.

In moderation. I know that I drink too much coffee.

Now let me show my ignorance... The health people are always talking about how we should be eating fruits and vegetables all the time. I agree about the veggies. I like veggies. But this morning I was checking out of a motel and they had some bananas as an item in the continental breakfast so I ate one while starting down the road. It's the first fruit I've eaten in a long time and I was struck by what a sugar bomb it was. I couldn't wait until my coffee rinsed the sugar from my mouth it was so bad. So then I got thinking about other fruit and how sweet it all is. Am I off on a stinking thinking kind of tangent here or is fruit just as bad for you as glazed doughnuts?

Some fruits like ripe bananas are super sweet, but they contain unrefined sugars that your body can process. Berries, melons and citrus aren't as sweet but do have nutritional benefits. So do apples. Just make sure you wash them thoroughly.
Instigators point about eating organic is quite important. Mass produced food, including fruits n veggies, are treated with so many chemicals they aren't healthy to eat.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
Instigators point about eating organic is quite important. Mass produced food, including fruits n veggies, are treated with so many chemicals they aren't healthy to eat.
Yeah I get that, and I get what he said about the long list of ingredients being a tell tale sign that the food isn't really food. No argument from me on that.

But is fruit all it's cracked up to be? Can anything with such a megadose of sugar be good for you?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
I used to stop at Betty Beaver's all the time, used to pull reefer loads for wally outa Johnstown. Haven't been by there in 10 years.
...you've been kicked out of there too? ...small world, eh.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yeah I get that, and I get what he said about the long list of ingredients being a tell tale sign that the food isn't really food. No argument from me on that.

But is fruit all it's cracked up to be? Can anything with such a megadose of sugar be good for you?
Yes fresh fruit is good for you. Not all fruit is super sweet. Try pomegranites, blueberries, cranberries or even avacado or tomatoes ( yes they are fruits). I think the key is variety, the more colors you eat, the better.

This may help:

From here.

Diabetes diet: Should I avoid sweet fruits? By Mayo Clinic staff

Original Article: Diabetes diet: Should I avoid sweet fruits? - MayoClinic.com

Question

Diabetes diet: Should I avoid sweet fruits? I’ve heard that you shouldn't eat sweet fruits such as chikoo or mangoes if you have diabetes. Is this true?

Answer from Maria Collazo-Clavell, M.D.

It is a common myth that if you have diabetes you shouldn't eat certain foods because they are "too sweet." Some fruits do contain more sugar than others, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat them if you have diabetes. The total amount of carbohydrates affects blood sugar levels more than does the source of carbohydrates or whether the source is a starch or sugar.

One serving of fruit should contain 15 grams of carbohydrates. The size of the serving depends on the carbohydrate content of the fruit. The advantage of eating a low-carbohydrate fruit is that you can consume a larger portion. But whether you eat a low-carb or high-carb fruit, as long as the serving size contains 15 grams of carbohydrates, the effect on your blood sugar is the same.

The following fruit servings contain about 15 grams of carbohydrates:

1/2 medium banana

1/2 cup (83 grams) cubed mango

1 1/4 cup (190 grams) cubed watermelon

1 1/4 cup (180 grams) whole strawberries

1/3 cup (80 grams) sapodilla (chikoo)

3/4 cup (124 grams) cubed pineapple

ReferencesOct. 1, 2011

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Look...dude. If you wanna be a dummy all your life... DON'T eat the apple. See if I care. Now... send your wife Eve over here. I bet SHE wants to be a know-it-all. I bet I can get HER to take a bite of it.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Look...dude. If you wanna be a dummy all your life... DON'T eat the apple. See if I care. Now... send your wife Eve over here. I bet SHE wants to be a know-it-all. I bet I can get HER to take a bite of it.
Whoa cowboy. My private stock stays private.

Now if only I had some private stock.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Whoa cowboy. My private stock stays private.

Now if only I had some private stock.
I take it... although, I'm not yet sure, that you "got" my humor in that post. If not... dang... then YOU'D "ignore" me, and by your own "hand" I would WIN! LOL!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I take it... although, I'm not yet sure, that you "got" my humor in that post.
I got it. You think you're capable of humor.

Quote:
If not... dang... then YOU'D "ignore" me, and by your own "hand" I would WIN! LOL!
lol Maybe you are capable of humor. Seriously, I think you're in the lead and I don't stand a chance. Which I suppose means that even though I'm a SOB and a major PITA I'm no match for you.