User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Kids/Grandkids with you on a road trip

How many of you drivers have taken your kids or grandkids with you on a road trip and would you do it again? It sounds like it would be fun as long as your careful.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Do you mean in a truck? Not in a million years. I'm working not sight seeing and usually driving 11 hours with maybe two potty breaks. I think the kids would get bored. Just my opinion.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would not want to take small children in a truck. Once they get older they might be able to better appreciate it. We often keep tight schedules and that can be stressful for children. I agree that children could become bored in a truck. Most carriers won't allow children in a truck due to the liability. Some will allow them in the truck when they get older. I have known some who will allow them as long as they are at least 12 years old. Some will require them to be at least 16 years old. You need to check with your carrier if you decide you may want to take them with you and see if they even allow passengers. You will need written permission from your company and keep it in the truck should you decide to take them with you. By the way, some shippers don't allow smaller children on their property.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

I can barely handle a 20 minute drive with the grandchildren. I couldn't imagine a 10hr drive.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I would not want to take small children in a truck. Once they get older they might be able to better appreciate it. We often keep tight schedules and that can be stressful for children. I agree that children could become bored in a truck. Most carriers won't allow children in a truck due to the liability. Some will allow them in the truck when they get older. I have known some who will allow them as long as they are at least 12 years old. Some will require them to be at least 16 years old. You need to check with your carrier if you decide you may want to take them with you and see if they even allow passengers. You will need written permission from your company and keep it in the truck should you decide to take them with you. By the way, some shippers don't allow smaller children on their property.
My brother-in-law started taking his grandson on trips as soon as Colby could stand up by himself! When he was 18 months he got out of the top bunk of the Pete and fired up the truck cuz he was cold! When he was 7 years old, he wrote up a business plan for a trucking company he will own......when he is 12!!

I'm not sure if he is smart or stupid.