Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Kids/Grandkids with you on a road trip (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/43111-kids-grandkids-you-road-trip.html)

martee99 10-19-2012 02:15 AM

Kids/Grandkids with you on a road trip

How many of you drivers have taken your kids or grandkids with you on a road trip and would you do it again? It sounds like it would be fun as long as your careful.

RebelDarlin 10-19-2012 07:42 AM

Do you mean in a truck? Not in a million years. I'm working not sight seeing and usually driving 11 hours with maybe two potty breaks. I think the kids would get bored. Just my opinion.

GMAN 10-19-2012 09:54 AM

I would not want to take small children in a truck. Once they get older they might be able to better appreciate it. We often keep tight schedules and that can be stressful for children. I agree that children could become bored in a truck. Most carriers won't allow children in a truck due to the liability. Some will allow them in the truck when they get older. I have known some who will allow them as long as they are at least 12 years old. Some will require them to be at least 16 years old. You need to check with your carrier if you decide you may want to take them with you and see if they even allow passengers. You will need written permission from your company and keep it in the truck should you decide to take them with you. By the way, some shippers don't allow smaller children on their property.

Malaki86 10-19-2012 01:07 PM

I can barely handle a 20 minute drive with the grandchildren. I couldn't imagine a 10hr drive.

Orangetxguy 10-19-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 517692)
I would not want to take small children in a truck. Once they get older they might be able to better appreciate it. We often keep tight schedules and that can be stressful for children. I agree that children could become bored in a truck. Most carriers won't allow children in a truck due to the liability. Some will allow them in the truck when they get older. I have known some who will allow them as long as they are at least 12 years old. Some will require them to be at least 16 years old. You need to check with your carrier if you decide you may want to take them with you and see if they even allow passengers. You will need written permission from your company and keep it in the truck should you decide to take them with you. By the way, some shippers don't allow smaller children on their property.

My brother-in-law started taking his grandson on trips as soon as Colby could stand up by himself! When he was 18 months he got out of the top bunk of the Pete and fired up the truck cuz he was cold! When he was 7 years old, he wrote up a business plan for a trucking company he will own......when he is 12!!

I'm not sure if he is smart or stupid.