User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question on truck driving tactics

Why do trucks tend to drive in the left lane bordering a concrete construction barrier wall? I've seen times where the right shoulder is free and clear from barriers and yet trucks will continue in the left lane and travel along side the concrete barrier wall? I'm not seeing the logic since cars and mtorcycles are passing on the right side.
Not being critical, I honestly dont know the logic behind the positioning.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Rookie

Lots of time there will be a sign in construction areas telling trucks to use a certain lane. So that could be the reason.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthless View Post
Lots of time there will be a sign in construction areas telling trucks to use a certain lane. So that could be the reason.
Yep, and thats because the shoulder is now being used as a travel lane and is not built heavy enough to support a lot of trucks driveing on it. Or we just want to tick off the four wheelers.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Yep, and thats because the shoulder is now being used as a travel lane and is not built heavy enough to support a lot of trucks driveing on it. Or we just want to tick off the four wheelers.
You might be right but I came to a different conclusion. If a car was in the lane next to the concrete and had a truck next to it and it wandered out of it's lane a bit the car would get crushed. Also, we're supposed to be the professionals out there so sticking us in the tougher to handle lane is appropriate. But like I said, you're probably right. I have too much time on my hands out there and sometimes when I do 2+2 I don't get 4.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
You might be right but I came to a different conclusion. If a car was in the lane next to the concrete and had a truck next to it and it wandered out of it's lane a bit the car would get crushed. Also, we're supposed to be the professionals out there so sticking us in the tougher to handle lane is appropriate. But like I said, you're probably right. I have too much time on my hands out there and sometimes when I do 2+2 I don't get 4.
Good point. I hadn't thought about a drifting trailer crowding out a four wheeler. That makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Repete was right in that the shoulder of the road is not constructed to support the weight of trucks traveling at speed. There will be times when you see a trck stopped on the shoulder and you wonder why it hasn't fallen over, it leans so bad.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Board Icon

One more reason, though it kinda goes with the "unsupported shoulder" theory... Sometimes, when they reinforce that "shoulder lane," they only pave half or 2/3rds of it. This leaves a seam right about where the left inside trailer tires ride. That tends to sway the back end of the trailer from side to side of that seam. I pull doubles, and you should se what it does to my 'dolly.'