Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Question on truck driving tactics (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/43107-question-truck-driving-tactics.html)

martee99 10-18-2012 03:39 AM

Question on truck driving tactics

Why do trucks tend to drive in the left lane bordering a concrete construction barrier wall? I've seen times where the right shoulder is free and clear from barriers and yet trucks will continue in the left lane and travel along side the concrete barrier wall? I'm not seeing the logic since cars and mtorcycles are passing on the right side.
Not being critical, I honestly dont know the logic behind the positioning.

worthless 10-18-2012 03:57 AM

Lots of time there will be a sign in construction areas telling trucks to use a certain lane. So that could be the reason.

repete 10-18-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthless (Post 517620)
Lots of time there will be a sign in construction areas telling trucks to use a certain lane. So that could be the reason.

Yep, and thats because the shoulder is now being used as a travel lane and is not built heavy enough to support a lot of trucks driveing on it. Or we just want to tick off the four wheelers.

MichiganDriver 10-19-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by repete (Post 517625)
Yep, and thats because the shoulder is now being used as a travel lane and is not built heavy enough to support a lot of trucks driveing on it. Or we just want to tick off the four wheelers.

You might be right but I came to a different conclusion. If a car was in the lane next to the concrete and had a truck next to it and it wandered out of it's lane a bit the car would get crushed. Also, we're supposed to be the professionals out there so sticking us in the tougher to handle lane is appropriate. But like I said, you're probably right. I have too much time on my hands out there and sometimes when I do 2+2 I don't get 4.

martee99 10-19-2012 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichiganDriver (Post 517653)
You might be right but I came to a different conclusion. If a car was in the lane next to the concrete and had a truck next to it and it wandered out of it's lane a bit the car would get crushed. Also, we're supposed to be the professionals out there so sticking us in the tougher to handle lane is appropriate. But like I said, you're probably right. I have too much time on my hands out there and sometimes when I do 2+2 I don't get 4.

Good point. I hadn't thought about a drifting trailer crowding out a four wheeler. That makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Orangetxguy 10-19-2012 02:33 AM

Repete was right in that the shoulder of the road is not constructed to support the weight of trucks traveling at speed. There will be times when you see a trck stopped on the shoulder and you wonder why it hasn't fallen over, it leans so bad.

golfhobo 10-20-2012 04:19 PM

One more reason, though it kinda goes with the "unsupported shoulder" theory... Sometimes, when they reinforce that "shoulder lane," they only pave half or 2/3rds of it. This leaves a seam right about where the left inside trailer tires ride. That tends to sway the back end of the trailer from side to side of that seam. I pull doubles, and you should se what it does to my 'dolly.'