User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the cliffhanger ;-)

When I got off the phone with the shipper, I called dispatch back and explained the directions and the wooden bridge. Our company cancelled the load.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I got directions in to a consignee from the secretary and followed them to the letter..... Right to the bridge that had a couple of planks you could walk across to the customer. But, taking a loaded truck across a couple of 2X10 planks was out of the question... Something like 32 miles around to get there by truck routes. The secretary gave me directions the way she got to work..... On a 4-wheel ATV....

When I got my first GPS (DeLorme), I checked out the route and it didn't even exist.....

Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Where do they come from? Some recruiter went to a cdl mill and filled their head with bs. Thing is you can teach most people to operate a cmv, but you C.ANNOT teach common sense. Plus there seems to be a couple generations (at least) who have been taught situational ethics which is nothing more than a way to deny any sense of personal responsibility. You know, everything they do is great 'cuz they tried their best.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
You must finish the story and not leave us hanging.......did you find another way in or did you have to drive across that wooden bridge on the dirt road?
Would he be alive (or trucking) to post here if he did?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Board Icon

Never know Hobo, some drivers attempt it and it works out even though the smart driver wouldn't attempt it.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
Where do they come from? Some recruiter went to a cdl mill and filled their head with bs. Thing is you can teach most people to operate a cmv, but you C.ANNOT teach common sense. Plus there seems to be a couple generations (at least) who have been taught situational ethics which is nothing more than a way to deny any sense of personal responsibility. You know, everything they do is great 'cuz they tried their best.
WELL there ya go bringing common sense into it.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Years ago I had a load that I was supposed to pick up in Kentucky. My dispatcher told me to call for directions because they were confusing. When I called to get the directions, I stopped them when he told me to drive across the wooden bridge after 2 miles on a dirt road.
Yeah... As you approach the bridge, you begin to guage the height of the bridge and the depth of the water. Same for a bridge with one of those small white signs (with black lettering) that says "WEIGHT CAPACITY REDUCED BY 70%".

KY had a tanker crash and burn (along with about 4 cars) on the parkway and detoured traffic onto local roads... Narrow roads where you have to avoid mailboxes around the curves, and when you point your nose down, you don't want to gain a lot of speed before you get to the bridge at the bottom. Fortunately, the bridges were very short. By the time the drives were on the bridge, the steers were nearly off the other side. But, we had a state trooper leading the way, telling us it was the only way around the accident. (Two times I drove on that road... The first time, and the LAST TIME.)