User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I recently won a bid on eBay, for a ball of lint from Shania's dryer... only cost me $78 USD.
I felt that was a much more rare deal.

(snif-snif mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm snif-snif ohhhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhh heh)

That's a real nice pic of Shania there Roadhog. Yup, no problems with that at all.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Well, supposedly our govt. passed a large spending bill the other day that stated right in it that the Dept. of Energy cannot force the CFL's on us now. It sounded like an "oops, we f-ed up in allowing this."
Now will THAT make you guys happy? lol For one minute? Two? Yeah, I'm a dreamer.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I don't know why we aren't hearing much about this in the news, other than I have to think it's political to protect the "green energy movement."

All of the green technology depends on REM, and there is a huge shortage, with China in control.
This is going to become a big story, whether the Obama administration likes it or not.

I think within the next few years we are going to be talking about a possible military conflict with China over natural resources, oil being the top of the list of course, but REM's are going to figure into our economic survival.

I'm sure China would likely win in that scenario, because we've allowed ourselves to become so indebted to them.
They hold the power in any negotiations over natural resources, with just the threat of selling off our debt.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't know why we aren't hearing much about this in the news, other than I have to think it's political to protect the "green energy movement."

All of the green technology depends on REM, and there is a huge shortage, with China in control.
This is going to become a big story, whether the Obama administration likes it or not.

I think within the next few years we are going to be talking about a possible military conflict with China over natural resources, oil being the top of the list of course, but REM's are going to figure into our economic survival.

I'm sure China would likely win in that scenario, because we've allowed ourselves to become so indebted to them.
They hold the power in any negotiations over natural resources, with just the threat of selling off our debt.

This story has never made sense to me. It just doesn't strike the truth chord. There's something weird about it. There are US companies that mine REMs and the last I checked their stocks weren't even doing that well. It's one of those "any day now it's going to take off" niches. My memory is fuzzy but iirc Molycorp is one of the bigger US REM mining companies. Their stock isn't taking off. It just doesn't look like anyone's hoarding anything to me. Here's a link:

Molycorp, Inc Common Stock $0.0 Stock Chart | MCP Interactive Chart - Yahoo! Finance

Oh, it's us that has the power over China due to the money we owe them. We can screw them in 100 different ways and they know it. Inflation anyone?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Now will THAT make you guys happy? lol For one minute? Two? Yeah, I'm a dreamer.
looks like you got your 2 minutes... hahahahahaha

Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
This story has never made sense to me. It just doesn't strike the truth chord. There's something weird about it. There are US companies that mine REMs and the last I checked their stocks weren't even doing that well. It's one of those "any day now it's going to take off" niches. My memory is fuzzy but iirc Molycorp is one of the bigger US REM mining companies. Their stock isn't taking off. It just doesn't look like anyone's hoarding anything to me.
That's all speculative, they are not producing much if anything right now, and we'll just have to see.
Our tax dollars are being spent by the hundreds of millions right now, hoping to come up with alternatives...that is how screwed we are.

I'm basically just getting into this subject, and I do feel this is going to be of major concern, and that is the gist, from the stuff I'm reading...so far.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Our tax dollars are being spent by the hundreds of millions right now, hoping to come up with alternatives...that is how screwed we are.
Progress is a bad thing? I thought moving from caves to houses and campfires to coal and then oil and then natural gas heating was a natural progression like evolution. And along with that we went from horse and buggy to cars and now NYC doesn't have mountains of horse poop to deal with.

Now we should stand up and say that the days of progress are behind us? Isn't that like saying our best days are behind us? We're better than that in my view.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Board Icon

Here's the link to the CFL news Roadie:Congress' bill may slow switch to efficient light bulbs

It's intended to be a slowing measure for now until these rules can be reviewed it seems.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Board Icon

Thanks Mr.Ford,

I hope we rethink everything we are doing right now with our green energy policy.
We've spent billions in an industry, where we don't even have the resources to play... that was a risk we should not have taken.
Even like the case with Solyndra, we put over 1/2 billion into a business that was doom to failure, before it was even built.

Now we're trying to fix the problem, so it seems, by now hoping to invent alternatives to REM's.
Japan is doing likewise, as their economic future is in the balance because of this as well.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Progress is a bad thing? I thought moving from caves to houses and campfires to coal and then oil and then natural gas heating was a natural progression like evolution. And along with that we went from horse and buggy to cars and now NYC doesn't have mountains of horse poop to deal with.

Now we should stand up and say that the days of progress are behind us? Isn't that like saying our best days are behind us? We're better than that in my view.
Come on MD, I never gave you the impression I'm all against progress.