User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Look what I can drive.

So just an update. About 2 years ago I took a job within UPS as a package/feeder driver. I have a package route and then when one of our 3 feeder drivers goes on vacation I swing off my package route to feeders. Still waiting for 36 year driver to retire. Keeps saying he's leaving in 6 months and then pushes it back another 6 months. Oh well, that's another story.

So after 6 months of feeder drive time under your belt at UPS you get to do advanced training. Since I only drive 15 weeks a year in feeders it took a couple of years to get my drive time. Now the fun begins with triples, rockys, and my favorite turnpike doubles. Did a couple nights training with a supervisor and now I'm on my own. Heres the run down. Rockys: long, not that heavy, extra room to turn, but run really well down the hiway. Triples, turn well if you set up right, long, heavy, suck on the hiway. Things are always moving and moving you around. Turnpike doulbes: heavy, damn long, lots of room to turn, but are sweet on the hiway.

After driving these for that last couple of weeks I took a set of double out and though It was like bobtailing. I guess that's why we make the big bucks to pull these around all night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dq_ups-int-9200-turnpike-doubles-4.jpg (77.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg triples.jpg (35.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg rockys.jpg (73.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Brown67; 06-26-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Senior Board Member

What kinda gross weight are we talkin' for those combo's?
Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
What kinda gross weight are we talkin' for those combo's?
We have overweight permits for all of our trucks here. Allows us to go up to 110,000 lbs. Just can't be overweight on any axle. Fully loaded we can push that max gross weight. Everyone thinks trucks full of packages are light, but not really the case.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I prefer doubles too, the bumps in the road seem to get canceled out by the next axle, so u just feel your tractor, not the trailers hardly..but in bad weather I rather pull a van.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
I prefer doubles too, the bumps in the road seem to get canceled out by the next axle, so u just feel your tractor, not the trailers hardly..but in bad weather I rather pull a van.
It's not just the "next axle," it's an articulated DOLLY axle that allows for the transmission of force from the front (short) trailer to the rear one, and in reverse... it is absorbed by the dolly before transmitted to the front pup OR the cab.

What one feels in the tractor is more a factor of the wheelbase than anything loaded behind it. I've pulled vans and doubles, and I agree that doubles "ride" easier... but, the real comfort factor is a shorter tractor wheelbase. My Volvo had a good size condo sleeper (since I drive team,) but a shorter wheelbase than the International I drive now. When I hit a "dip" in the road, the rear axles were into it about the same time the steers were out of it. NOW... the steers hit the dip or bump and THEN the drives do!

Put a 53' van behind me.... and the torque is worse! I hate "jacking" the dolly around... but, I love the smooth ride it affords.

Bad weather? I don't know.... I haven't had a problem. The single pivot point of a van transmits MORE torque to the (single) rear axles under braking which will cause them to "slide" sooner on ice or wet roads. I like the "graduated" braking and "steering" of the dolly axle during an "event."

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown67 View Post
So just an update. About 2 years ago I took a job within UPS as a package/feeder driver. I have a package route and then when one of our 3 feeder drivers goes on vacation I swing off my package route to feeders. Still waiting for 36 year driver to retire. Keeps saying he's leaving in 6 months and then pushes it back another 6 months. Oh well, that's another story.

So after 6 months of feeder drive time under your belt at UPS you get to do advanced training. Since I only drive 15 weeks a year in feeders it took a couple of years to get my drive time. Now the fun begins with triples, rockys, and my favorite turnpike doubles. Did a couple nights training with a supervisor and now I'm on my own. Heres the run down. Rockys: long, not that heavy, extra room to turn, but run really well down the hiway. Triples, turn well if you set up right, long, heavy, suck on the hiway. Things are always moving and moving you around. Turnpike doulbes: heavy, damn long, lots of room to turn, but are sweet on the hiway.

After driving these for that last couple of weeks I took a set of double out and though It was like bobtailing. I guess that's why we make the big bucks to pull these around all night.
Hey Brown just curious if you pull out of Denver? My sister in law has worked the Denver yard for the last 32 + years..

Timberwolf
Old 06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Board Icon

Before I started pulling wiggle wagons, I never thought I could. Pulling triples?? I'm sure it would be like pulling 2, but I don't know if I could.
We can't pull triples in Texas. You can in Oklahoma. Triples is something I don't see every day. Sometimes when I'm on I-44 or I-40 in Oklahoma (going to Fort Smith, etc), I see guys pulling triples. Sure looks funny. Makes me think, 'oh my gosh?!' Especially if I am coming up on a set of triples, and I get over in the hammer lane to go around the guy. That really blows my mind.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Board Icon

Can she get me a job, T-Wolf? I ain't workin' no DOCKS first.... I'm a professional AND experienced driver! But... I'll pay some DUES to the union to get a higher wage! My first "concession" will be to wear those UGLY friggin BROWN uniforms! Brown is a depressing color! :lol:
Old 06-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Before I started pulling wiggle wagons, I never thought I could. Pulling triples?? I'm sure it would be like pulling 2, but I don't know if I could.
We can't pull triples in Texas. You can in Oklahoma. Triples is something I don't see every day. Sometimes when I'm on I-44 or I-40 in Oklahoma (going to Fort Smith, etc), I see guys pulling triples. Sure looks funny. Makes me think, 'oh my gosh?!' Especially if I am coming up on a set of triples, and I get over in the hammer lane to go around the guy. That really blows my mind.
They're not like doubles JR. There's alot of "whip" in that third one. A small steering input will cause quite a bit of movement in the last one. You definately want to stay focused, steady and keep your eyes on the road. Doubles are forgiving if you veer offtrack for a second but not triples. They dont like wind, grooves in the road, uneven pavement, ice etc etc.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentla93 View Post
Hey Brown just curious if you pull out of Denver? My sister in law has worked the Denver yard for the last 32 + years..

Timberwolf
I'm out of Loveland, but travel to the Denver Hub for our loads. So yes I'm there a lot.