User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default OMG - Make it go away!!!

My truck developed a new noise today that I know will end up driving me insane (ya, I know - it doesn't have far to go).

This noise is a REALLY high-pitched squeal. It's so high-pitched that it's barely audible. It happens anytime the truck is going faster than around 50mph. Throttle position doesn't matter, nor does driving in wind or calm air. It's just "there". I can't even get an idea for where the noise is coming from, especially going down the highway. It just seems to be permeating the entire cab of the truck.

The more I drive this ProStar, the more I miss my 2002 Volvo 770. With almost a million miles on that truck, it still had less problems than this 2 year old truck with 275k on it.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

One of the pulleys on the serpentine belt slipping? Something doesn't want to turn that fast?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Board Icon

Sounds like a turbo leak.... or problem of some sort.... to me. Like Windy said, something doesn't want to turn that fast.... possibly a VERY light scraping of the blades or just an air leak.

The turbo (as I understand it) really gets wound up at that speed. I have a terrible "squeal" from MINE! But, if it's only a high rev "harmonic" like tone, it is probably a bearing in the turbo.

Of course, for that matter, it could be a wheel bearing although that is usually a LOWER tone. I'd have to HEAR it to hazard an informed guess.

Good luck.... I know how that kind of thing drives ME nuts!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One of my trucks has a high pitch whine. In my case it is the turbo. From your description it sounds like the turbo. That is where I would start looking.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the info. I'll let the shop know as soon as I get to Laredo in the AM.

I had a 2nd noise develop early this morning. Was listening to the XM as normal when all of a sudden I got a loud SQUEAL out of the radio. The sound was what you would think of if a small animal was having it's legs slowly pulled off with a pair of channel locks. I knew it was the radio, because the first thing I did was hit the radio power button to see where the hell this new noise was coming from. Turns out that my ol' faithful Roady 2 bit the dust. I think I bought it around 2005 or 2006. I hit the next Flying J I came to and picked up a new Onyx. Nice radio, especially since with my Pilot points, it cost me all of $20 cash.

One thing with the Onyx I don't like, though, is the mount for it. It's not solid whatsoever. Just the engine running makes it jump around. I had to stuff some folded paper between the radio cradle and the mount itself to tighten it up. Also, that radio won't use the old XMDirect (connected at the antenna cable) adapter whatsoever. But, I had another FM modulator in one of the "parts" boxes in the cabinet, so I still have it wired in direct.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Board Icon

Don't know how your company is about turbos, but, any that I drove for left that go until it WENT. Then, they had it towed into a shop for two days, and I was sending out smoke-signals for a few weeks after just getting the oil out of the intercooler. I could never figure out how they saved any money that way. Get it replaced while I'm home for the weekend, and you don't lose any time or miles, and neither would I. But somehow, they didn't see it that way.