User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default This is where I draw the line..rant

Okay, I returned to work for my old company this past week.

Small company, I don't know how many trucks they have, I'd guess 10 or less.

I asked if I could get my truck in a day or 2 advance before getting loaded, so I would be able to clean it up,get everything in and organized. They said no. Odd, but whatever. So the dispatcher calls me at like 8pm Wednesday night, and says " Truck is at the Pilot truck stop, hurry go get it" I'm like WTF? okay..

So I get there, and this clown parks the truck in a fuel lane, I don't mean pulled up so someone could in behind, I mean parked at the pump as if it was fueling..and had been there about 3 hours.. what a jerk..

So I get there and see this truck, and my first thought is anger, extreme anger. It was a 2002 Century. The inside was literally full of junk. I opened the door and garbage fell out.

I call him and he says " Yeah, she isn't pretty, but it has no mechanical issues what so ever" So, off I go to Miami,FL.

About 20 miles down the road, I hear a hissing sound, like a air leak..so I pull over to inspect, and can't see or find anything out of order, but I write it down on the pre-trip inspection sheet anyway ( not that anyone reads them at this company, but it covers my ass for Mr. D.O.T)

So I get into Miami, and I go to get off the interstate, and I notice while downshifting and using the jake, slight brake pedal use, I see my air gauge go from a little over 100 to below 50,and then the no air light and buzzer come on, But I get her stopped thankfully.While at the bottom of the off ramp, I start revving the engine to help it build air faster, light turns green and I take off, right in the middle of the intersection, the buzzer comes back on, and the valves release on the dash, truck comes to a stop in the middle of the intersection holding up traffic..great.. Finally I get her moving and pull off to the shoulder and call my dispatcher and he says, and I quote " Oh it's fine, it will build air back up" He just ignores the fact that I lost brakes trying to stop, and ignores the fact that it did that in a intersection.

So fast forward- I deliver, and re-load. I call and report brake failure once again, once again he says its no big deal. At this point I am furious that he put me into a truck knowing it had a air leak, and then plays it off as nothing- Someone could have seriously hurt or killed because of that truck.

So, I come to the house, and drop the truck off at the same Pilot, but in an actual parking space- I call and say hey, truck's home, please have these brakes looked at so I can safely complete my run. Well, he has the brakes fixed, and then puts another guy in the truck. He says " oh, i might put you back in a truck, we'll just have to see" And I reply, " No, we won't see. I quit, don't bother calling me back, I am done with you and your crap, you knowingly put me in a unsafe vehicle and think its just fine to do that"

This company is a joke. They are going to get people killed,whether it be their drivers, or someone just trying to drive to work.

So, now I am looking for a new carrier to work for..issedoff:
Old 03-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Board Member

LOL, wow... Well get into a habit of inspecting the truck real well b4 u accept it or the load for that matter... I learned one good habit is to press your service pedal b4 getting moving, with the window down and listen. then repeat that with the trolley valve all with engine off so you can hear a leak. Be sure to have your parking brake released tho, never press service brake while the parking brake is on. Im not lecturing you, Pork chop, im saying this for everyones benefit.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0rk Ch0p View Post
Okay, I returned to work for my old company this past week.

Small company, I don't know how many trucks they have, I'd guess 10 or less.

I asked if I could get my truck in a day or 2 advance before getting loaded, so I would be able to clean it up,get everything in and organized. They said no. Odd, but whatever. So the dispatcher calls me at like 8pm Wednesday night, and says " Truck is at the Pilot truck stop, hurry go get it" I'm like WTF? okay..

So I get there, and this clown parks the truck in a fuel lane, I don't mean pulled up so someone could in behind, I mean parked at the pump as if it was fueling..and had been there about 3 hours.. what a jerk..

So I get there and see this truck, and my first thought is anger, extreme anger. It was a 2002 Century. The inside was literally full of junk. I opened the door and garbage fell out.

I call him and he says " Yeah, she isn't pretty, but it has no mechanical issues what so ever" So, off I go to Miami,FL.

About 20 miles down the road, I hear a hissing sound, like a air leak..so I pull over to inspect, and can't see or find anything out of order, but I write it down on the pre-trip inspection sheet anyway ( not that anyone reads them at this company, but it covers my ass for Mr. D.O.T)

So I get into Miami, and I go to get off the interstate, and I notice while downshifting and using the jake, slight brake pedal use, I see my air gauge go from a little over 100 to below 50,and then the no air light and buzzer come on, But I get her stopped thankfully.While at the bottom of the off ramp, I start revving the engine to help it build air faster, light turns green and I take off, right in the middle of the intersection, the buzzer comes back on, and the valves release on the dash, truck comes to a stop in the middle of the intersection holding up traffic..great.. Finally I get her moving and pull off to the shoulder and call my dispatcher and he says, and I quote " Oh it's fine, it will build air back up" He just ignores the fact that I lost brakes trying to stop, and ignores the fact that it did that in a intersection.

So fast forward- I deliver, and re-load. I call and report brake failure once again, once again he says its no big deal. At this point I am furious that he put me into a truck knowing it had a air leak, and then plays it off as nothing- Someone could have seriously hurt or killed because of that truck.

So, I come to the house, and drop the truck off at the same Pilot, but in an actual parking space- I call and say hey, truck's home, please have these brakes looked at so I can safely complete my run. Well, he has the brakes fixed, and then puts another guy in the truck. He says " oh, i might put you back in a truck, we'll just have to see" And I reply, " No, we won't see. I quit, don't bother calling me back, I am done with you and your crap, you knowingly put me in a unsafe vehicle and think its just fine to do that"

This company is a joke. They are going to get people killed,whether it be their drivers, or someone just trying to drive to work.

So, now I am looking for a new carrier to work for..issedoff:

See...The thing about all of this Pork Chop.......YOU drove the truck back. From Miami.

You did not name this POS company. (The company name warns others away)

Had this been me.......(I know....I have to many years at this).........I would have stopped at the FL scales on I-10 just before the Alabama state line, and called a friend or family member to come and pick me up.....then I would have taken the paperwork for the truck inside and explained the situation to the DOT officer in the coop. But...that is me. I have been called several different types of names by a couple companies similar to that one you didn't name....but those companies understood in the end....that their butt was the one in the sling.

just sayin young lad.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Board Icon

That's what I woulda done. I would have taken it to the first chicken coop, and I would have thrown the fox in there.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
That's what I woulda done. I would have taken it to the first chicken coop, and I would have thrown the fox in there.
:thumbsup:
See...You and I...we have to much experience at this. WE gotta teach the "Younguns" that the only way to deal with a POS is up front. Feeding the fox can sometimes be a good thing.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Board Icon

:lol: Thanks..
As long as you write down the defects on the inspection report, and the company knows about it, it's on the company. tell the DOT man that you reported it, and they failed to fix it. Wallah

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 PM

I did look it over before I left. I noticed a slight hiss in the cab,like coming from the valves, but I've had trucks that do that before so.

Once i experienced problems is when i called, etc and was basically ignored.

Leaving the truck would have been fine and dandy- but not when you don't have the money for a bus,plane,train ticket home and no one to come get you.

After I got reloaded in FL, i adjusted my route best I could to avoid braking situations. I made it home safely.

And I talked to the company owner yesterday, and she was trying to say that the dispatcher is saying I blew 500 dollars in fuel to come home. I quickly corrected her with facts, Mapquest says I only went 120 miles out of route to come home, which is what? 75 dollars in fuel if that. And with the truck being home, their own mechanic did repairs and the savings from that greatly offset the out of route fuel. So i told the owner, I've logged 1,707 miles on this trip, knock off 150, cut me a check and I'm done with this company.

The reason i didn't name the company is because I didn't know whether they would/could see this and call it some sort of legal term and try to sue me.

But, after dealing with these people, I frankly don't give a F.

It's JCM Transportation, out of Florence,AL
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM

I wish I would have got an in-cab video of the strange sounds the brakes made when you pushed the pedal..
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0rk Ch0p View Post
I did look it over before I left. I noticed a slight hiss in the cab,like coming from the valves, but I've had trucks that do that before so.

Once i experienced problems is when i called, etc and was basically ignored.

Leaving the truck would have been fine and dandy- but not when you don't have the money for a bus,plane,train ticket home and no one to come get you.

After I got reloaded in FL, i adjusted my route best I could to avoid braking situations. I made it home safely.

And I talked to the company owner yesterday, and she was trying to say that the dispatcher is saying I blew 500 dollars in fuel to come home. I quickly corrected her with facts, Mapquest says I only went 120 miles out of route to come home, which is what? 75 dollars in fuel if that. And with the truck being home, their own mechanic did repairs and the savings from that greatly offset the out of route fuel. So i told the owner, I've logged 1,707 miles on this trip, knock off 150, cut me a check and I'm done with this company.

The reason i didn't name the company is because I didn't know whether they would/could see this and call it some sort of legal term and try to sue me.

But, after dealing with these people, I frankly don't give a F.

It's JCM Transportation, out of Florence,AL

Surely you have a friend or family member who would drive to the FL stateline to pick you up??

You need to quit looking at these little fly-by-night outfits, and talk with reputable companies. The "Mega" carriers may not be your first choice....but they aren't going to completely hose you, as long as you do the work properly and safely.

Try an outfit like this one

http://www.amxtrucking.com/

or this one

Wiley Sanders Truck Lines, Inc.

or even this one

McElroy Truck Lines, Inc.

or this one

Boyd Bros. Transportation, Inc.

and this one......I do believe one of the NBA stars owns it.................I think

All American Xpress - AAX - Transportation Company
Old 03-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Senior Board Member

If you have a reason for liking small companies maybe a 10 truck company is too big. I work at a manufacturing company that just happens to put 2 trucks on the road and they're way too small to have a service department, so they lease their trucks from Penske. I'm learning that Penske cuts alot of corners but I'm sure they're better than what you just left. We used to use Ryder and them were the good old days. Ryder had their act together. If I were out looking for a job I'd try to find a small company that leased Ryder trucks, but I'm not a big company kind of guy - I'd feel lost.

Edit: Now that I think about it if I were looking for a job tomorrow I'd go visit my local Ryder and ask them if they happen to know anyone that's hiring. And after the pretty lady behind the counter says that she doesn't I'd go talk to the service manager. Any leads you get would at least be for companies with reasonably new equipment and qualified people doing the servicing. Of course they still might be SOBs to work for.

Last edited by MichiganDriver; 03-30-2011 at 01:22 AM.