LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
First off....fixed those for you.

As far as putting ME in that situation........No it wouldn't. At this point in my life, I understand how to do things in a manner that would circumvent a company being able to do something like that.

IF a young driver like PorkChop (Mike I think his name is) finds him or her "Self" in a POS truck like that, before doing anything, documenting the repair requests as well as the subsequent refusals to make the repairs, is important. Turning the truck over to a DOT officer at a scale does two things. It puts the truck under the control of a law enforcement facility, plus....THAT truck isn't going to be moved again until all repairs that are subject to the 49 CFR regulations, and that are found by the DOT facility, are repaired.

You have never been forced to drive a POS truck One?? I gotta say....You have been lucky. Even major corporations find themselves forcing drivers to drive poorly maintained equipment, when penny pinching managers hide the VIR's and threaten meek drivers with lose of the job if they refuse to drive the equipment.

Sure....leaving the truck at a scales may be Chicken-chit....but then again....refusing to maintain your equipment before putting a driver in it is also Chicken-chit. With CSA, drivers can no longer afford to collect DOT OOS tickets. Before, those tickets only affected the safety score of the Carrier. A carrier that is large enough, can absorb the odd OOS ticket. NOW....not one single driver can afford those tickets....but those drivers are still at the mercy of managers or Owners, that look at repairs as "unnecessary". NOW those tickets affect the reputation of the driver....and bonafide carriers will not give a rats-azz that the driver was forced to drive a POS truck. No driver has to....they can look for work elsewhere....but then again....that puts the driver in the postion of being unemployed. Classic catch22. Damned if you do....damned if you don't.

It is one thing to fly off the handle because of disagreements with a dispatcher, another entirely to be forced to do something you would not otherwise do. Abandoning a truck because of a dispatch disagreement is far different from turning a truck that is in disrepair, and that an owner or manager knows is in disrepair and ignores the drivers repeated requests....that is a whole new ballgame....especially now.

Maybe my stance makes me a "Horse's Azz".......but then again..........after 33+ years of doing this....I really don't care.
first thanks 4 the corrections, sometimes my keyboard messes up and a letter doesn't work right, the i use net lingo and abbreviations, dont bother with hyphons and use '2' foe 'two', 'u' for 'you' and '4' for 'for' and also i use british english spelling a lot. but whateva :P

Yes i have been put in junk trucks, but i am knowledgeable enough to find dot violations on every truck, so if i didnt ignore some stuff i would have to change jobs to DOT officer cuz i would never make a dime driving. My company knows me well enough to get my truck fixed and back to me quick because i 'deadline' spare truck after spare truck until i do, and we have a truck shortage as is... LOL
Old 04-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I was talking to a local driver back home one night - he drives coal trucks in WV. He was telling me about his previous employer. The truck they put him in was an absolute POS. I can't remember what year he said it was, but it was an Autocar. How long has it been since you saw one of those on the road? Anyway, the steering was really loose on the truck and he kept complaining to the maintenance & boss about it, but they said keep it rolling. So he did - he pulled into the scalehouse on I-79 in WV. He walked inside to strange looks from the scalemaster. The scalemaster asked if he could help him and the driver simply replied - yes, I'm here for my inspection.

He said he was there for 3 hours while himself and 3 other officers scoured the truck top to bottom. It ended up that the truck had a broken frame at the front suspension mount. I guess it was rusted out so bad, and with so many other major defects in it, the DOT black-flagged the truck, meaning it had to be scrapped out.

As soon as the DOT was finished with the inspection there, they did a major inspection on the companies entire fleet. Over 1/2 were put OOS.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 AM

That would have been fine and dandy, but i would have been stranded there with no money to get home, no money to pay a friend/relative gas to come get me, etc etc and I know damn well that company wouldn't have done a thing to help me.

What do you think I could do at this point? Report the company to DOT officials and just hope they catch one of the trucks at the scales or something?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P0rk Ch0p View Post
That would have been fine and dandy, but i would have been stranded there with no money to get home, no money to pay a friend/relative gas to come get me, etc etc and I know damn well that company wouldn't have done a thing to help me.

What do you think I could do at this point? Report the company to DOT officials and just hope they catch one of the trucks at the scales or something?
Actually.....At this point you are simply better off just forgeting about it young lad.

My major point on this thread, aside from giving you suggestions for companies to talk with, is to show you..advise you...on what the solutions are, when you are dealing with a trucking company that refuses to perform repair work that is needed. 99.5% of all DOT officers, will not ticket you personally, even under CSA, if you explain the situation to them, and ask them to perform a detailed inspection of the equipment. There isn't a trucking company in existance, that is going to get around an OOS at an inspection station. You don't have to walk away from the equipment either. You may not get paid for the time you are at the OOS location....but your employer isn't going to fire you there either. They simply won't open themselves up to the liabilty. If you run into a similar situation again...just remember to get that inspection done ASAP after the refusal to do repairs...don't wait until you are almost home.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree with Orangetxguy, P0rkCh0p. At this point, it would be best to just forget about it and move on. Consider it a learning experience.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Yeah.

Well, now it's pay day and they are ducking me..
Old 04-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Yeah.

Well if they are ducking you on payday, then you stand a good chance of them trashing your DAC report as well...
Document document document.....
I have a feeling you are going to get more headaches from these guys in the near future...
Thats one of the reasons why I refuse to go over the road, having to be away from family and then on top of it deal with that kind of crap...
Hope it all works out for you..

Timberwolf
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yeah.

Okay....It is payday. If you don't have your money in hand come monday morning, then get in touch with the state labor board. Did you keep copies of your load information??
Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 PM

I think I have copies in with my logs, etc. Will have to check.

After calling all day Friday, they finally called me back at 5:30, to tell me they hadn't calculated my pay yet because of out of route fuel due to that lying ***** dispatcher, telling me i could come through the house, then telling the owner he never said that..so they are trying to take money out of my pay for coming home.. bunch of idiots.

I won't be having any problems out of these people after they pay me, I've already quit working for them, And I've consulted a lawyer just incase they want to falsely report to DAC, which i doubt they will, these clowns don't know half the DOT truck regulations. They said Monday they'd have my pay figured out..whatever..
Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I think I have copies in with my logs, etc. Will have to check.

After calling all day Friday, they finally called me back at 5:30, to tell me they hadn't calculated my pay yet because of out of route fuel due to that lying ***** dispatcher, telling me i could come through the house, then telling the owner he never said that..so they are trying to take money out of my pay for coming home.. bunch of idiots.

I won't be having any problems out of these people after they pay me, I've already quit working for them, And I've consulted a lawyer just incase they want to falsely report to DAC, which i doubt they will, these clowns don't know half the DOT truck regulations. They said Monday they'd have my pay figured out..whatever..

Where was the load delivering to in the first place?? You need to tell them...."NO" on taking fuel charges out of your pay, regardless. Out-of-route fuel is a "cost of doing business poorly".