User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody, I passed up a couple of other jobs to take this one and now they had me sign paperwork stating how i'm going to be paid. I knew it was gonna be 25%, but i didn't realize it was gonna be after everybody and their brother got a cut Like i said, i'm not to worried, i can always find another job while i still have this one :smokin:
Old 11-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have known several owners who pay percentage. All have paid on everything the truck makes other than the fsc. The owner paid tolls and any other expenses. One owner that I know had a rather unique program for her drivers. She took everything that the truck made, deducted all expenses, other than truck payments, and split what was left with her drivers. I think that nearly all of them earned at least $50,000/yr. She paid all equipment payments out of her share. It worked in her situation, but it was an even split with the driver.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I think it will all come down to what kind of rates they are getting. That could be a lot of toll money.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Rookie

My line of work is strictly local(log trucking, heavy equipment hauling), around here the going rate for that sort of thing is 30-35 percent of the truck's gross earnings. That's about $200-$300 a day depending on the job and how eager you are. Always wondered how that compares to OTR.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Commercial pays the percentage from the trucks gross, the reason you dont make anything is becuase they haul for peanuts
Old 11-26-2010, 11:13 PM
Board Regular

Fredog I always thought what i made at commercial was'nt to bad.. $36,000 grand a year for sleeping in my own bed every night as a second year driver, worked for me.. Now compare it to what I am doing today and I would laugh my azz off at it, but for a newbie it was good pay and I had every other weekend off...

Timberwolf....
Old 11-27-2010, 07:58 AM

I am learning alot here...THANKS..... I'm in law enforcement and plan on driving when I retire in a few years, plus i sold truck parts at the NAPA store I ran some 16 years ago. I know most of the terms and abbreviations....but what the hell is a "lumper"?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyandpuppy View Post
I am learning alot here...THANKS..... I'm in law enforcement and plan on driving when I retire in a few years, plus i sold truck parts at the NAPA store I ran some 16 years ago. I know most of the terms and abbreviations....but what the hell is a "lumper"?
A guy that unloads your trailer for you.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyandpuppy View Post
Snoopy,

Lumpers are a 3rd party service, used for loading/off loading product from either reefer or van trailers.
Not all warehouses use this service, having their own employee's responsible for the shipping, receiving and inventory.
Lumper service is a matter of the contract between the purchaser and the carrier. The brokers know if the load "requires" lumper service, and the costs are figured into the contract. Remember that last sentence. They know ahead of time what is in the contract, so any "mis-communication" later is bull.

This opens up a great place for greed and backstabbing. In my opinion, most of this lumper service, are the Unions muscling in, and wanting a piece of the action. Why else would most of these warehouses have to pay to unload their own product? In some specialized warehouses, I can understand hiring a 3rd party service, when more complicated logistics are involved. But then you have your filthy rat infested Union Warehouses, where if you are not a Union carrier, you pay up the canoli for lumper service, and then go see Helen Wait.

In my opinion, it's just a scam, but deeply entrenched in the system, and goes all the way down to the politics, of this industry. They have the carriers by the nads, and somehow everybody is making money off this, but the driver.

There are many scenario's in this part of the industry. You'll find for the most part, the experience is okay, and routine. You get your door assignment, bump the dock, and take your Bills inside. When you check in, you may be given the option of using the lumper service or not. If you are a non-union carrier... I strongly advise using the lumper service.

Anyway, then you trudge over to where you see a bunch of ominous characters hanging around doin' nuthin' and you might recognize one you have arrested a few times in the past, so you put on your sunglasses. (if he bolts, just let him go) You ask for the manager, and they grunt and point in a general direction. The lumper manager will calculate your lumper fee. Just hand him your Bills. He'll mumble a figure at you. You agree, pay him cash, or call your dispatcher for an authorization number on the COMCHEK you will pay him with. Then you go nap in your bunk, because it's going to be awhile. Seriously.

Every warehouse has their own system and rules. Some places are friendly and easy going, as well as to the other extreme. It is one part of the biz, where the driver is the low one on the totem pole. Truckers do not like to take any crap...and sometimes it's tough for us to allow disrespect, or mis-communication to be dumped on us. This will happen at times in this part of the delivery evolution. The food distribution racket is corrupt, and the loading dock is a good place to see it up front and personal.

One way they have the driver by the short hairs, is you become part of the contract, when you sign the Bills, and accept the load. The delivery is not complete, until the product is sitting on the purchasers dock. I always ask my dispatcher about the terms of loading and off loading. If I know a lumper service is required, I make sure I get an authorization number for a COMCHEK before the dispatch office closes, if I have a night delivery. Dang if I'm paying cash, and then turning in a receipt for reimbursement a week later. That's giving my boss a free loan.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses. Roadhog.....I think I got it. I'm sure at one time in American history the unions had their place..........not so much now. Just my 2 cents.....not trying to start a debate or hijack this thread. Thanks for the info.