Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Longest of the Long

I saw this story yesterday on the news, AMAZING! To say the least. :bow::AR15:

Sniper kills Qaeda-from 1½ mi. away
By LUKAS I. ALPERT

It was silent but deadly.

A British sniper set a world sharpshooting record by taking out two Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan from more than a mile and a half away -- a distance so great, experts say the terrorists wouldn't have even heard the shots.

Craig Harrison killed the two insurgents from an astounding distance of 8,120 feet -- or 1.54 miles -- in Helmand Province last November firing an Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

"The first round hit a machine-gunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison, a corporal of horse in the British Army's Household Cavalry, the equivalent of a sergeant in the American military.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too," Harrison told the Sunday Times of London.

The shots -- measured via GPS -- surpassed the previous record held by Canadian Army Cpl. Rob Furlong, who killed an al Qaeda gunman from 7,972 feet in 2002.

Harrison's shots were roughly equal to the distance between the Statue of Liberty and Battery Park.

Experts called Harrison's sharp shooting as perfect as it gets.

"When you are shooting that far, if you miss by a hair, you miss by a mile," said John Plaster, a retired US Army sharp-shooting instructor and author of "The Ultimate Sniper." "That is about as precise as any marksmen on the planet could shoot."

He said Harrison's targets likely never knew what was coming.

"At a distance like that they cannot even see anyone and they would not even hear the muzzle report," Plaster said.

Harrison, who fired the bullets while his colleagues were under fire, said perfect weather helped him nail the perfect shot.

"[There was] no wind, mild weather, clear visibility," he said.

Harrison learned of his record nine days ago, when he returned to England. In the weeks after his record shot, he suffered a minor gunshot wound and broke his arms when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post
I saw this story yesterday on the news, AMAZING! To say the least. :bow::AR15:

Sniper kills Qaeda-from 1½ mi. away
By LUKAS I. ALPERT

It was silent but deadly.

A British sniper set a world sharpshooting record by taking out two Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan from more than a mile and a half away -- a distance so great, experts say the terrorists wouldn't have even heard the shots.

Craig Harrison killed the two insurgents from an astounding distance of 8,120 feet -- or 1.54 miles -- in Helmand Province last November firing an Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

"The first round hit a machine-gunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison, a corporal of horse in the British Army's Household Cavalry, the equivalent of a sergeant in the American military.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too," Harrison told the Sunday Times of London.

The shots -- measured via GPS -- surpassed the previous record held by Canadian Army Cpl. Rob Furlong, who killed an al Qaeda gunman from 7,972 feet in 2002.

Harrison's shots were roughly equal to the distance between the Statue of Liberty and Battery Park.

Experts called Harrison's sharp shooting as perfect as it gets.

"When you are shooting that far, if you miss by a hair, you miss by a mile," said John Plaster, a retired US Army sharp-shooting instructor and author of "The Ultimate Sniper." "That is about as precise as any marksmen on the planet could shoot."

He said Harrison's targets likely never knew what was coming.

"At a distance like that they cannot even see anyone and they would not even hear the muzzle report," Plaster said.

Harrison, who fired the bullets while his colleagues were under fire, said perfect weather helped him nail the perfect shot.

"[There was] no wind, mild weather, clear visibility," he said.

Harrison learned of his record nine days ago, when he returned to England. In the weeks after his record shot, he suffered a minor gunshot wound and broke his arms when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb
I am sure CoH Harrison would appreciate the kudos and I thank you for posting it here. Accuracy International makes wonderful weapons. Sadly, the rest of the UK armed forces are issued with something made by imbeciles. Now that it appears that Mr. Cameron is to be Prime Minister, (I hope), perhaps that will change.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Sounds tight.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Board Regular

Nice aim, Soldier :thumbsup::clap:

Old 05-08-2010, 02:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Beyond Oswald and beyond the grassy knoll, who killed JFK?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I'd like to know what kind of scope he was using. At that distance, even with a 10X, he was looking at a pretty small target. Also, would not mind knowing what kind of "angle of elevation" he was using.

Doesn't matter what weapon he was using, to even be able to hit the target at half that distance is doing great. A mile and a half is a "ONCE IN A LIFETIME" IMPOSSIBLE ACHIEVEMENT. That goes way beyond "Atta boy, nice shooting"

If you don't mind my asking, what's the muzzle velocity on that weapon?

32 feet per second squared....

Old 05-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I'd like to know what kind of scope he was using. At that distance, even with a 10X, he was looking at a pretty small target. Also, would not mind knowing what kind of "angle of elevation" he was using.
Probably a telescope.
Could you imagine aiming at that range?? I would love to look through that scope he used. Even with a 10X at that range would be like shooting a fly on a tree limb.
Here's something I found. Sniper Rifle Systems - AE, AW, AW50 & AICS Sniper Rifles | Accuracy International (You will see the link for the rifle)
I couldn't find anything on the scope he used. :lol:

What a shot! That has to be a once in a lifetime shot.

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 05-08-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Amazing, a once in a life time shot and he did twice in a row! But no one said who's life time
That was a .338 Lapua round 3000 feet per second and at 1000 yards(3000 ft) it drops 137inches he shoot at over 2 1/2 that!!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Board Icon

Due to the increased Sniper training, not surprised at these long shots. Nice shot by the Brit not once but twice. First shot was luck, second shot was talent. The US puts on a Sniper training camp and teams from around the world come to it, they all leave saying it's the best one they have ever gone thru. They have 1 particular shot where they have to use a .50 cal to hit a moving tank either 10,000 yards or 10,000 feet away. They show the training on Military Channel all the time. They have shots now that they are training to shoot thru a hole just slightly larger than the bullet. You do not stick the end of the barrel up to the hole though, you stand back against a back wall in a room and shoot. So you have to focus on shooting thru that tiny hole barely large enough for the bullet then also focus on hitting the target.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
They have shots now that they are training to shoot thru a hole just slightly larger than the bullet. You do not stick the end of the barrel up to the hole though, you stand back against a back wall in a room and shoot. So you have to focus on shooting thru that tiny hole barely large enough for the bullet then also focus on hitting the target.
That is crazy!
One twitch, and you miss! I would have to pull the trigger as soon as I saw it in the cross hair. :lol: A target such as that, I couldn't take too long focusing.

http://watsonsysco.com/