LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fed-Ex truck hits trooper on side of road Ohio Turnpike

toledoblade.com -- The Blade ~ Toledo Ohio

Quote:
Trooper Alexander, was standing by his cruiser on the side of the turnpike, conducting a traffic stop, when his cruiser was struck from behind by a FedEx tractor-trailer rig.

The driver of the stopped vehicle, Carol Thomas, 44, of Toledo, was taken to Montpelier Hospital, to be evaluated.

The driver of the commercial vehicle, Patricia Chapman, 53, of Murchison, TX, and the passenger, Jiri Siuda, 34, of Frisco, TX, were not injured.
my photo coming by this afternoon.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Must have been a FedEx National unit huh?

Looks like Ohio is going to be dropping hammers on trucks for the next few weeks now.

You gotta wonder why she wasn't paying attention! I can understand not having the chance to move over...but she did have every chance to be paying attention and slow down!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Board Icon

As a reminder, starting July 1st in VA, move over/slow down or get a ticket for ANY flashing lights on the side of the road. It no longer matters what color they are, if they are flashing your to move over or slow way down. This expands the previous law which only stated that you had to slow down or move over for red/blue flashing lights. It now includes VDOT vehicles, construction vehicles or tow trucks on the side of the road who normally use amber lights.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Based on what little info the article could give, it looks like Tr. Alexander is going to come through this OK. His occupational therapist will have to develop a treatment plan for the much heavier pockets he'll have to endure. Love or hate unions, I'll bet this guy has at least a half dozen people working on his behalf.

I'm a little confused. The truck is a twin screw and pulling pups which I find odd for OH. I can't tell if it has or had a sleeper but they're from TX . . hhhhhmmmmm . . Were they teaming or training? As for Patty, I don't know. How does FEDEX treat it's left leaning, sign and light ignoring, crash prone drivers? Do they throw you straight under the bus or is there a protocal that has to be followed before they gently toss you under it?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:56 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
I'm a little confused. The truck is a twin screw and pulling pups which I find odd for OH. I can't tell if it has or had a sleeper but they're from TX . . hhhhhmmmmm . . Were they teaming or training? As for Patty, I don't know. How does FEDEX treat it's left leaning, sign and light ignoring, crash prone drivers? Do they throw you straight under the bus or is there a protocal that has to be followed before they gently toss you under it?
Am I missing some photos somewhere? Cuz, I'm more confused than you. I don't see the power unit, so how do you know it's twin screw? (not that it matters.)

I would assume it is a sleeper (twin screw) unit, and if so, I'm quite sure the "team" was team DRIVING, not training. FedEx drivers of both the FREIGHT and the Ground divisions "team" all over the country on a daily basis. (This.... I believe.... is a Freight unit.) They HAVE alot of daycabs, but not for teams.

And as for "Patty"..... um, how do you know she is left leaning? Aren't MOST truckers conservative??

I must have missed more of the article or something, cuz I don't know where you're getting your "assumptions." :thumbsdown::lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 AM
Senior Board Member

I didn't have time to take a pic of the tractor, but if memory serves me right it was an old Watkins truck. Can't remember if it was a twin screw or not but it was defintely a sleeper cab.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

I read a different article . . no time to fetch, right now. Her excuse was she was looking out her left window . . something must have really caught her eye. The article has 7 or 8 pictures including a nice one of the drive tires.

Couldn't leave you hanging . . it be this one: State trooper hit, thrown on turnpike
Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Somehow, I get the feeling that she was spending a whole lot of time looking to her left. More likely, asleep, or highway complacency. Seeing something ahead and it not registering. The trooper's lights were something she should have seen well in advance of hitting it.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Must have been a FedEx National unit huh?
I was thinking the same thing.
The driver and passenger was from Texas. I didn't figure he was a line haul driver. That would be quite a line haul run.

She must have been bird watching or something. How could you not see those disco lights? I understand things can change in a flash but I am sure the trooper was there for more than a split second.
Glad everyone is ok.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 05-01-2010, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Were the hell is my base station c.b. for my new dispatch desk that FedEx was supposed to deliver??