User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default From Catholic Church, to The Boy Scouts...

I was a scout leader back in the early and mid 70s. As far as I know, there was no abuse on our troop. But, I can see how easy it might be for someone that is of a mind to "make the most of the situation".

Boy Scouts accused of sex abuse cover-up - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Even with this, I believe the Scouts are a fantastic organization, but it looks like the screening for leaders needs to be improved. Back when I was involved, there was another problem. That was "getting people to get involved". Most don't have the time to devote. So, much like school bus drivers, they look for a "warm body" to fill the position.

The time I spent with the boys was in my home, with my wife, and often, my own kids present. Obviously, that has not been the case across the country.
Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Boy Scouts of America has long kept an extensive archive of secret documents that chronicle the sexual abuse of young boys by Scout leaders over the years.The "perversion files," a nickname the Boy Scouts are said to have used for the documents, have rarely been seen by the public, but that could all change in the coming weeks in an Oregon courtroom.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I wonder how much of this type of thing is due to people wanting to break down the scouts. I remember a few years ago there were some who wanted gays and girls to get involved in the boy scouts. I am glad that they held to their principles, but I am sure that there are still some who get by the screening. Like you, I remember there being a time when it was difficult to find those who would be willing to get involved with scouting.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 AM
Board Icon

A long time ago, I had heard that a pedophile looks for a situation where he can get involved with kids. Scouting, somehow never crossed my mind. Little league, and things like that, yes, but scouting somehow never came up. But, according to that bit of information, it would certainly be suited to them. At this point, I don't think it's a matter of people trying to bring down the organization. That part is still to come. For the time being, these are complaints that date back some 30 years. Once it becomes public, expect them to come crawling out of the woodwork. Some will be real, but there will also be some looking to see what they can get out of it.

And, I remember, also hearing that they target single mothers. Not for the mothers, but in order to gain access to the kids. They really don't care about the women. The guy my ex-wife married after our divorce expected to get close to the grandkids. But, our kids found out about him and it didn't go his way. He's dead now, so they don't have to worry about him anymore. But, there are enough others out there. No, scouting is not immune to it either. Back when I was a leader, anyone that was interested in giving the kids some time, and trying to teach them and have an influence on them, was accepted. I would expect/hope that would have changed in recent years.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:11 AM
Board Icon

Just got done reading an article about the Catholic Church. This is something I had not read anything about in the past. Looks like the scouts are not the only ones that have been sitting on allegations.

The pope's entire career has the stench of evil about it. - By Christopher Hitchens - Slate Magazine

Quote:
On March 10, the chief exorcist of the Vatican, the Rev. Gabriele Amorth (who has held this demanding post for 25 years), was quoted as saying that "the Devil is at work inside the Vatican," and that "when one speaks of 'the smoke of Satan' in the holy rooms, it is all true—including these latest stories of violence and pedophilia." This can perhaps be taken as confirmation that something horrible has indeed been going on in the holy precincts, though most inquiries show it to have a perfectly good material explanation.

Concerning the most recent revelations about the steady complicity of the Vatican in the ongoing—indeed endless—scandal of child rape, a few days later a spokesman for the Holy See made a concession in the guise of a denial. It was clear, said the Rev. Federico Lombardi, that an attempt was being made "to find elements to involve the Holy Father personally in issues of abuse." He stupidly went on to say that "those efforts have failed."

He was wrong twice. In the first place, nobody has had to strive to find such evidence: It has surfaced, as it was bound to do. In the second place, this extension of the awful scandal to the topmost level of the Roman Catholic Church is a process that has only just begun. Yet it became in a sense inevitable when the College of Cardinals elected, as the vicar of Christ on Earth, the man chiefly responsible for the original cover-up. (One of the sanctified voters in that "election" was Cardinal Bernard Law of Boston, a man who had already found the jurisdiction of Massachusetts a bit too warm for his liking.)
There's more. It suggests that it goes much higher in the church than I realized.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Board Icon

Windwalker said:

Quote:
A long time ago, I had heard that a pedophile looks for a situation where he can get involved with kids.
Gee.... ya THINK???? :hellno:

Quote:
Scouting, somehow never crossed my mind. Little league, and things like that, yes, but scouting somehow never came up.
How is a grownup male assisting in Little League with young boys so much DIFFERENT than Scoutmasters or PRIESTS.... or "things like that?"

Wake up.... smell the coffee..... and THINK outside the bun! (I mean BOX.)

Quote:
At this point, I don't think it's a matter of people trying to bring down the organization. That part is still to come.
This idea made me think about the current Catholic crisis, as WELL as the current administration DULY elected to the White House. I think ALL three will probably survive.

Quote:
And, I remember, also hearing that they target single mothers.
Who? Catholic priests?
Oh.... you meant Scout Leaders! :lol:

Quote:
The guy my ex-wife married after our divorce expected to get close to the grandkids. But, our kids found out about him and it didn't go his way. He's dead now, so they don't have to worry about him anymore.
What caliber did you use? :rofl::lol2:

Quote:
Back when I was a leader, ...
When did you quit? I've ALWAYS considered you a leader here on CAD! Not one that "I" would necessarily follow.... but, a leader nonetheless! :lol:

Quote:
anyone that was interested in giving the kids some time, and trying to teach them and have an influence on them, was accepted.
And for the most part, still SHOULD. But, not without a simple background check at least! They don't make them "interested adults" like they USED to! But, maybe we should make it a challenge to find and identify GOOD people for these postitions, and even ENCOURAGE ones that we know and trust.

Quote:
I would expect/hope that would have changed in recent years.
Everything is constantly "changing." For good or bad, WITH or without our HELP. An argument FOR "evolution," but not necessarily AGAINST "religion."

If you don't like the direction of the status quo.... (think about the dichotomy in that statement....) then vote for AND contribute to a CHANGE!

Science and evolution teaches us that we can EXPECT change!

Religion teaches us that we can HOPE for change.

We can really afford neither the luxury of "expectations" nor the blissfullness of "hope." The time now is for "action." Not towards anarchy.... but, towards COMMON sense and government.

[Note to self to read Obama's "Audacity of HOPE" cuz I don't think Bush has published his book yet... titled: "Mission Accomplished." :roll: ]

Vigilance is the price of Freedom!

Never more true than today! In SOOOO many ways!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:01 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Note to self to read Obama's "Audacity of HOPE" cuz I don't think Bush has published his book yet... titled: "Mission Accomplished
Have you read your boy's other book, "Mein Kampf?"

Oh wait, that was Hitler.

Well...no, I guess since they are pretty much mirror images of each other, it's probably relevant.

Of course, I hear your boy has a new one coming out.

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute - The Sequel"

To be followed quickly by:

"How To Win Power and Be A Dictator To People"

And that will be followed by his masterpiece:

"I'm King of the World!"

Your boy and his boot-licking lackeys are nothing more than a scum-sucking pieces of garbage and I'd consider that a compliment, considering how much lower than that they truly are.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I wonder if those who thought that I was out of line when I compared Obama to Hitler still feel the same way now?
Old 03-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Tar & Feathers are in order!!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker
The guy my ex-wife married after our divorce expected to get close to the grandkids. But, our kids found out about him and it didn't go his way. He's dead now, so they don't have to worry about him anymore.
What caliber did you use? :rofl::lol2:
Accute Cardiac Fragmentation... (He had a severe heart attack.)
Quote:
When did you quit? I've ALWAYS considered you a leader here on CAD! Not one that "I" would necessarily follow.... but, a leader nonetheless! :lol:
This one raised my eyebrows. Not normally a source of compliments. I'm almost tempted to ask, "WHAT HAPPENED"?
Quote:
And for the most part, still SHOULD. But, not without a simple background check at least! They don't make them "interested adults" like they USED to! But, maybe we should make it a challenge to find and identify GOOD people for these postitions, and even ENCOURAGE ones that we know and trust.
You know... I know of a few school districts that are constantly advertising for school bus drivers, and they will train immediately, but I don't ever recall the Boy Scouts advertising for leaders. I got into it because I thought it would be a good experience for my own kids... And it was.
Quote:
Everything is constantly "changing." For good or bad, WITH or without our HELP. An argument FOR "evolution," but not necessarily AGAINST "religion."

If you don't like the direction of the status quo.... (think about the dichotomy in that statement....) then vote for AND contribute to a CHANGE!

Science and evolution teaches us that we can EXPECT change!

Religion teaches us that we can HOPE for change.

We can really afford neither the luxury of "expectations" nor the blissfullness of "hope." The time now is for "action." Not towards anarchy.... but, towards COMMON sense and government.

[Note to self to read Obama's "Audacity of HOPE" cuz I don't think Bush has published his book yet... titled: "Mission Accomplished." :roll: ]
You just HAD to bring politics into it, didn't you... Now, look at what you've done...issedoff::lol:

Quote:
Vigilance is the price of Freedom!

Never more true than today! In SOOOO many ways!

Hobo

Old 03-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I wonder if those who thought that I was out of line when I compared Obama to Hitler still feel the same way now?
Yes.... I DO. The childish ramblings of the "Bat One" nothwithstanding.... I STILL believe you were wrong in your assessment and "inflammatory" in your speech. But, no thanks to Dubya, you still HAVE that "First Ammendment Right."

Does your "Constitutional Right" to FREE speech so EMBOLDEN you that you would ABUSE fellow citizens who believe differently and would rather not HEAR references to HITLER, when discussing the President of the U.S.A, and by association.... the U.S. Military, ALL "ambassadors of America" to all civilized foreign lands, and every representative of both government AND private businesses located in America, who.... while overseas (and not within the comfort and protection of our borders).... are representing AMERICA in all ways possible to the world's armies, citizens and LEADERS that they encounter?

If you have a problem with Obama (as you obviously do,) then argue FACTS and specific actions attributed ONLY to HIM. I am fairly well versed in what he is trying to do. I'm not so well versed in all the history buffs' versions of truth that they use so freely to assassinate (politcally, though I think they have another preference,) the duly elected POTUS.

I will start taking you seriously when you quit parrotting the "talking points" of the GOP (especially Boehner and Cantor) and the more radical "ramblings" of Hannity and Beck.

When you eventually calm down from this FOXnews induced FRENZY, you will realize that this country is pretty much an equal SPLIT... only with a FEW more Democrats. ENOUGH more in 2000 to have LEGALLY elected Al Bore!

And as for the Healthcare issue.... there are more of us that WANT this bill ..... as a START towards real REFORM of the heallthcare industry including WASTE, Discrimination, fraud, OVERPRICING, unnecessary tests/procedures that ONLY benefit the doctors AND the insurance companies.... than there are of YOU who unwittingly supported George W. Bush in his decision to abandon the pursuit of the 9/11 terrorists... to "settle an old score" against Saddam Hussein and TOTALLY screw up the lives of average Iraqis (and so many more Americans.)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.