User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 03:05 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I don't know...you started talking about Great Aunt Mildred's crotch and 90% of the posters here forgot what the thread was about.

uke:

Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer View Post
I don't know...you started talking about Great Aunt Mildred's crotch and 90% of the posters here forgot what the thread was about.

uke:

It's something of a homage to Carlin
Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Now, along with your research for school, find a list of the major contributors to Obama's campaign. Then look at their job descriptions. See just how many insurance execs, and financial execs donated how much to his campaign. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.:hellno:
You're half right, although a look at the top donors for McCain and Obama shows some interesting information. (I am only looking at the top donors here)

Obama's top donor was Goldman Sachs.

McCain's top donor was Merrill Lynch

Obama's #2 Donor was the University of CA

McCain's #2 was Citigroup

Obama's #3 was JP Morgan Chase

McCain's #3 Morgan Stanley

Are we seeing a pattern yet?

Law Firms - Obama received over 1.4 million from several Law Firms (or their employees or their PACs).

Sidley Austin LLP $329,776, Skadden, Arps et al $320,550, WilmerHale $275,132, Jones Day $272,755, Latham & Watkins $270,595

McCain received about a quarter of that from Law Firms or their employees or PACs.
Blank Rome LLP $149,426, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher $104,250, Sidley Austin LLP $96,200

So McCain has fewer lawyers, but more bankers, including all the names on the list or people involved in the Sub Prime crisis, and Obama has more lawyers and a fairly large number of bankers also (in fact, he got more money from bankers than McCain did).

Where it gets interesting is to look at the client lists of the law firms. Obama's donor firms are the attorneys of record for some of McCain's biggest donors. Wilmer Hale for example (450 attorney form, offices all over the globe, very conservative culture, in that they tend to hire republican leaning lawyers) represents AT &T, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, The Hartford, and 3 of the big four pharmaceutical companies.

McCain's donor law firms are equally interesting. Gibson Dunn and Crutcher represented George Bush in the Bush v Gore suit after the Florida ballot mess got started, but also represent Same Sex Couples to have proposition 8 overturned. The also represent Lehman Brothers. (they are one of the largest Law Firms on the planet).

Don't look too closely at the fact that Law Firms support one or the other. Big Firms tend to give money to both, and firms are also very good at picking the winner. If you look anywhere, look at the large law firms, who they gave money to, and, more importantly, who their major clients are. You'll find the AT&Ts of the world, who give money to candidates on both sides, the airlines, the banks and the pharmaceutical companies. In the 2004 election, it was law firms representing Defense and Energy, in the 2000 election, Pharmaceuticals again.

It's also not uncommon for the client to donate to the firm's PAC on the understanding that it be donated through to the candidate, thus creating a slight amount of secrecy as to who is donating what.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer View Post

uke:

Ha Ha. That's what lawyers do. They TALK and TALK and TALK or WRITE and WRITE and WRITE. So much BS that no one has a clue what they're talking about. Trial law is actually more of a performance art than anything to do with justice.

The only part of our legal system that appears to actually be about justice, is small claims court, where there are no lawyers. And before I am corrected, yes I know they are allowed in small claims court, but since there is no money there you'll rarely see one. Unless of course they are suing some one, probably one of their clients.

Good thing the statue of justice is always blind-folded, if she saw what was going on in the courtroom, she might be tempted to use that sword.

Lawyers have the reputation that they have because they've earned it.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin View Post
Ha Ha. That's what lawyers do. They TALK and TALK and TALK or WRITE and WRITE and WRITE. So much BS that no one has a clue what they're talking about. Trial law is actually more of a performance art than anything to do with justice.
If nobody knows what they are talking about, how would you know it is BS?

Are you saying you don't understand what I have written on here?

Quote:
The only part of our legal system that appears to actually be about justice, is small claims court, where there are no lawyers.
I think the judge is a lawyer in most states. Say it ain't so.

Quote:
And before I am corrected, yes I know they are allowed in small claims court, but since there is no money there you'll rarely see one. Unless of course they are suing some one, probably one of their clients.
You cannot sue a client. You can only sue a former client and even then most attorneys don't because the nature of attorney client privilege makes it hard to do. That's a big part of the reason why lawyers ask for money up front.

Quote:
Good thing the statue of justice is always blind-folded, if she saw what was going on in the courtroom, she might be tempted to use that sword.
That's hilarious.

Quote:
Lawyers have the reputation that they have because they've earned it.
Really. You can say that as a fact can you? There are 1 million practicing lawyers in this country. They have all earned this reputation? What evidence do you have against these 1 million individuals. Some lawyers are scum, granted, and so are some bankers, and come plumbers, and some chiropractors and some cops and some pest control technicians. Believe me you have a far greater chance of getting ripped off by your plumber than your lawyer. if your plumber does some shoddy plumbing, you can sue him and he has to give your money back. If your lawyer half asses your divorce, he can get disbarred or suspended. Like congressmen, everyone thinks THEIR lawyer is awesome, and the other guy's lawyer is a *****.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Why should the Feds fix it? Why not leave it to the states to fix or _uck up to their hearts content? (as it should be) After all what part of medical malpractice is interstate commerce?
Old 04-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
Why should the Feds fix it? Why not leave it to the states to fix or _uck up to their hearts content? (as it should be) After all what part of medical malpractice is interstate commerce?

You are exactly correct. Torts in general are state issues, the cases are heard in state courts and tort reform thus far has been on a state by state basis, having been passed in the state legislatures and signed by the governor of the state enacting the reform.

I can find no record of a tort claim for medical malpractice being heard in a Federal Court, outside of claims made under the Federal Tort Claims Act filed against the Federal Government based upon the actual or alleged negligence of physicians at VA hospitals or by military doctors.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan View Post
If nobody knows what they are talking about, how would you know it is BS?

Are you saying you don't understand what I have written on here?
I think the judge is a lawyer in most states. Say it ain't so.
You cannot sue a client. You can only sue a former client and even then most attorneys don't because the nature of attorney client privilege makes it hard to do. That's a big part of the reason why lawyers ask for money up front.
Why some of you guys fall for this Troll bait all the time amazes me.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by RebelDarlin; 04-16-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Board Member

back to the original post, is it jist me or does anyone else think having Doctor owned hospitals is a bad idea? or is this been the case all along?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
back to the original post, is it jist me or does anyone else think having Doctor owned hospitals is a bad idea? or is this been the case all along?
There have been doctor owned hospitals for years. Often what happens is a company like Integris decides that they don't want a particular hospital anymore, so they put it up for sale, and the Doctors get together, go see a bank or pool their money, and buy the hospital.

They tend to be smaller and more specialized.