User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
That's something I had not thought about. Over the years, Toyota has gained a good deal of the market share. With government interest in GM, it would be far more effective to rake Toyota over the coals than to try any amount of positive advertising for GM, to improve GM's market share and sales. Very interesting point. Of course, I'll still stick to my Fords.
Nothing wrong with that, I rather like my Explorer myself.

Quote:
My hat's off to you, Sir. I was not aware that you had any experience with a "xx' suitcase behind your camper". How many years did you drive?
All the trucks I drove were large and green and had lots of masts attached to them. The British Army requires that officers commanding units in which the soldiers are expected to drive what in the UK are called Heavy Goods Vehicles, themselves obtain a Class C+E license. I passed my test in 1994, and drove the things on and off until 2002, when I moved to the US. Asa convoy commander, I was technically in physical control of up to 100 of the things (all of 11 Signal Brigade's trucks when moving from one camp to another), and as such I have to hold the requisite license. Here's one of mine (having just been for a run, I discovered one of my chaps had made a complete arse of the paint job, that's me to the right in blue:

Not as big as what you see here, although it has no ABS, and no power steering, makes it rather fun, particularly when you're towing a trailer, which we used to do quite often. Generators mostly.

Quote:
The difference, however, is the "lag time" between the bad advice and the bad choice with 80,000 pounds. In a truck, the consequences for a bad choice are instantaneous. With bad advice, there is generally time to make corrections. Not playing on the same field there.
I'll give you that.

Quote:
It did not mean a thing in the State of Wisconsin, some years ago. A guy thoroughly enjoyed an evening with a girl, and she not only consented, but seemed more eager than he. The next day, one of her "other persona" residing in her body filed a complaint. Until then, I don't think there was anyone in the state that knew there was a law about having sexual relations with someone that has multiple-personality disorder. He was also not aware, at the time, that he was dealing with more than one person that night. It was a rude awakening when he was sent to prison for it. Ignorance of the law was not excuse.
You're referring to the Sarah trial. Not only was he wrongfully convicted, his conviction was overturned and the prosecutor was disbarred because he knew his chief witness was himself having sex with the female, and had lied on the stand about it with the DA's knowledge.

Ignorance of the law was never asserted as a defense. The defendant never admitted to knowing that the female was mentally incapable of giving consent. On that basis, raising a lack of mens rea would be absurd.

Last edited by Ptarmigan; 04-29-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Bankers (and derivative traders) are the only profession that can legally shake down people for money and get away with it. Think of them as the mob with an SEC license. :smokin:
There.... fixed it for you! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Board Icon

Ptarmigan said:

Quote:
All the trucks I drove were large and green and had lots of masts attached to them.
Now.... don't get me wrong here pal. But, I'm going to make some observations: :smokin:

I would NEVER (knowingly) question another man's military service. But, your trucks are, as you say.... GREEN camoflauge. That predates the Gulf War (or indicates European locale.) Nothing WRONG with that. I served during peacetime, too.

Quote:
The British Army requires that officers commanding units in which the soldiers are expected to drive what in the UK are called Heavy Goods Vehicles, themselves obtain a Class C+E license.
Rightfully SO! [thanks for the memories of WOT!]

Quote:
I passed my test in 1994, and drove the things on and off until 2002, when I moved to the US.
Again... no offense.... but it sounds like you not only got OUT of the military over there, but also moved here, before we launced the Bush War of 2003 to "enforce U.N. resolutions" against Saddam Hussein. Good for you.

Quote:
As a convoy commander, I was technically in physical control of up to 100 of the things (all of 11 Signal Brigade's trucks when moving from one camp to another), and as such I have to hold the requisite license. Here's one of mine ....

Not as big as what you see here,
Absolutely! This is what we might call a "straight truck" which doesn't even require the CDL-A that most of us have. It is not a "combination" vehicle, and it has no "air brakes." It can't carry 80,000 lbs OR MORE down the freeway with the public at 70 mph.

And as such.... I don't suppose you have ever actually known the feeling of barrelling down the road a mere foot or two from other vehicles, in control of a "deadly weapon" if someone even 'blinks!" Brake pressure spread over 18 wheels at various times depending on the integrity of your air supply and other factors, and an "articulation" that can cause instant disaster.

I'm pretty sure that robertt (like Windy and the rest of us) has. Can we try to play nice here?

[I KNOW this is "off thread." But, I'm an opportunist.]

Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan View Post
All the trucks I drove were large and green and had lots of masts attached to them. The British Army requires that officers commanding units in which the soldiers are expected to drive what in the UK are called Heavy Goods Vehicles, themselves obtain a Class C+E license. I passed my test in 1994, and drove the things on and off until 2002, when I moved to the US. Asa convoy commander, I was technically in physical control of up to 100 of the things (all of 11 Signal Brigade's trucks when moving from one camp to another), and as such I have to hold the requisite license. Here's one of mine (having just been for a run, I discovered one of my chaps had made a complete arse of the paint job, that's me to the right in blue:

Not as big as what you see here, although it has no ABS, and no power steering, makes it rather fun, particularly when you're towing a trailer, which we used to do quite often. Generators mostly.
Not the same thing as our "18-wheelers", but I'll give you that one. In the time you were in, I'm sure you have "fond" memories of the 4-wheelers you encountered out on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan View Post
You're referring to the Sarah trial. Not only was he wrongfully convicted, his conviction was overturned and the prosecutor was disbarred because he knew his chief witness was himself having sex with the female, and had lied on the stand about it with the DA's knowledge.

Ignorance of the law was never asserted as a defense. The defendant never admitted to knowing that the female was mentally incapable of giving consent. On that basis, raising a lack of mens rea would be absurd.
I had not heard the whole story, only that there is a law against having sexual relations with someone that has the disorder. I had never heard that it was overturned, or that he DA had been disbarred. It was just something that I filed somewhere in my brain for future reference, if needed, like a number of other things. I was also not aware that it had been an on-going relationship, rather than a one-time incident. I also did not know that it was referred to as "the Sarah Trial".

But, now, I am curious. Your knowledge of the law seems to be only surpassed by your ability to look up information on given subject matter. Does that remain within the bounds of discussion in legal matters or does it range across the board of subject matter?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Board Icon

By the way, looking at you in that photo...
Are those "regulation" shoes you were wearing?

Old 04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Board Icon

I might make it through advanced training, but....
I would never be allowed in todays "PC" Military.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
By the way, looking at you in that photo...
Are those "regulation" shoes you were wearing?
yeah.... they go with that "regulation" uniform he's wearing. :lol::lol:

I'm still trying to find what's wrong with that paint job. Looks invisible enough to me. :smokin:

Old 05-01-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Ptarmigan said:

Now.... don't get me wrong here pal. But, I'm going to make some observations: :smokin:

I would NEVER (knowingly) question another man's military service. But, your trucks are, as you say.... GREEN camoflauge. That predates the Gulf War (or indicates European locale.) Nothing WRONG with that. I served during peacetime, too.
Yes and No. All British Military vehicles, while in the UK, are painted in the European Camouflage scheme, prior to being deployed to the Middle East, those vehicles are painted in one of two desert schemes. These pictures were taken in the UK

The fun places I got to go to were Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, and twice in Northern Ireland. None of these required us to repaint the vehicles. I joined in 1991, and was at the Royal Military Academy while Gulf War 1, which we Called Operation Granby was taking place. I left in 2002, at the rank of Captain, although I remain on the reserve list.

Quote:
Again... no offense.... but it sounds like you not only got OUT of the military over there, but also moved here, before we launced the Bush War of 2003 to "enforce U.N. resolutions" against Saddam Hussein. Good for you.
Yes, although one had nothing to do with the other.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
There.... fixed it for you! :lol:

I suppose that you could include the derivative traders and bankers in my statement. They were allowed to plunder because or their lawyer accomplices in congress who were supposed to be watching the hen house while allowing the fox to have his way with the hens.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
yeah.... they go with that "regulation" uniform he's wearing. :lol::lol:

I'm still trying to find what's wrong with that paint job. Looks invisible enough to me. :smokin:
I think my exact words were "Signalman Evans, that looks like a f****** martian cow"