User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driver on Driver . .

. . turn off the CB, eat your mistake, shut up and drive . .

Deadly stabbing on Edens Expressway - 1/15/10 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com
Old 01-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Board Icon

That's not good.
I've heard guys going back and forth on the radio, but I've always wondered how many drivers actually 'pull over' and fight-it-out. This may not be the case, but it sounds like he was having a face-to-face argument before he got stabbed. Looks like the killer got away with that one.

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 01-16-2010 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Forgot to spell check.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Several years ago I spoke with an agent that I know who told me about one of their drivers who was arrested for murder. He and another driver started going at it on the CB. One thing led to another and they both pulled over. The other driver came back to this guy and opened his door and the guy got 3 shots in the chest. The guy who shot him is now in prison for murder. Had he only shot once he probably would not have been charged. I suppose multiple shots makes a difference. The agent told me that this guy was easy going and had a family. For some reason he went over the edge on this one. I have no idea why some people feel the need to say things on the CB that they would not consider face to face. It would have been best if this guy had simply turned his CB off or down and ignored the other guy. He is now sitting in prison and has lost everything that he owned. When I spoke with the agent his wife was attempting to sell his truck and trailer so that they could pay legal fees and get along.

I have heard of a few incidents where two drivers have gotten into something that started on the CB. It is better to just walk away. Words can't kill someone.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 PM

That's a shame.....so many lives ruined for nothing.
Good advice GMAN.

I couldn't get along with my team mate and our DM told me to stop,get out and have a smoke and continue driving when I cooled off.
I took her her up on it.When we got into Dallas I had him drop me at the terminal and I got off the truck.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Never had a CB on the truck when I was OTR, and probably won't get one whenever I get spinnin' again.
With all the other things to get angry over, a wayward CB conversation is the last thing I want to get hauled in for.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd View Post
That's a shame.....so many lives ruined for nothing.
Good advice GMAN.

I couldn't get along with my team mate and our DM told me to stop,get out and have a smoke and continue driving when I cooled off.
I took her her up on it.When we got into Dallas I had him drop me at the terminal and I got off the truck.

You handled it the right way. It is better to get away from a bad situation rather than allow it to fester and build into something that gets out of control.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Never had a CB on the truck when I was OTR, and probably won't get one whenever I get spinnin' again.
With all the other things to get angry over, a wayward CB conversation is the last thing I want to get hauled in for.

I keep my CB turned down most of the time. You will need a CB when you arrive at some shippers. I know a number of drivers who keep their CB down or off unless they need something, such as directions.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Whew!!!! You had me worried for a minute there Gman. I thought you were talking abou.... never mind......
Old 01-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Several years ago I spoke with an agent that I know who told me about one of their drivers who was arrested for murder. He and another driver started going at it on the CB. One thing led to another and they both pulled over. The other driver came back to this guy and opened his door and the guy got 3 shots in the chest. The guy who shot him is now in prison for murder. Had he only shot once he probably would not have been charged. I suppose multiple shots makes a difference. The agent told me that this guy was easy going and had a family. For some reason he went over the edge on this one. I have no idea why some people feel the need to say things on the CB that they would not consider face to face. It would have been best if this guy had simply turned his CB off or down and ignored the other guy. He is now sitting in prison and has lost everything that he owned. When I spoke with the agent his wife was attempting to sell his truck and trailer so that they could pay legal fees and get along.

I have heard of a few incidents where two drivers have gotten into something that started on the CB. It is better to just walk away. Words can't kill someone.
What state was that in? In most of them now you are allowed to use deadly force to protect yourself and some you property also. I would think some guy running over and yanking your door open would count as feeling threatened the same as an attempted car-jacking. That driver must have had a terrible lawyer.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Board Icon

Deadly force is allowed but if you have shot someone three times in the head, they are obviously dead on the first one, no need for two more. A good lawyer could possibly save you but it could easily get you a murder charge. If you shoot them in the leg then a lawyer can argue that they kept coming so you fired again, good chance of getting off as self defense. It depends on where you shoot them and how many times you shoot as to whether it can be considered self defense or not. I know it used to be here that if someone tried to break into your house and you killed them, they had to be within the residence to be considered self defense. If they fell backwards out a window or door and landed outside it was considered murder or even though the door or window was broke open.