User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 4-weeler parking in NYC?

Im going to NY with my wife tommorow. We plan to visit downtown on a Monday night and I was wondering about parking in the city at that time. I know that here in Charlotte, you can park for free after like 8pm or so, what about NYC?

Thanx
Old 11-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

parking in NYC anytime of the day or night is a royal pain. my advice would be to just pay for parking at one of the garages. average price to park would be around $30. i was in the city on veteran's day to see the uss new york and it cost me $25 for parking. but if you want to try to park on the street, be very careful and read the signs. there are times when you can't park on certain streets and there are alternate side of the street parking rules. you don't want a ticket and you don't want to get towed. or better yet, if you can take mass transit and leave the car at the hotel or where ever you are staying. there are taxis every where and the subways run all the time.

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
Old 11-15-2009, 03:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Parking in NYC is very expensive. You can pay as much to park your car in the city as you would spend on a motel room in many places in the South. Some of the hotels downtown charge a hefty fee for parking in their garages. If you plan on staying at a hotel that is downtown you may check with them to see if there is parking nearby. Manhattan is particularly expensive to park your car.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:46 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Parking in NYC is very expensive. You can pay as much to park your car in the city as you would spend on a motel room in many places in the South. Some of the hotels downtown charge a hefty fee for parking in their garages. If you plan on staying at a hotel that is downtown you may check with them to see if there is parking nearby. Manhattan is particularly expensive to park your car.
I am staying in Jersey, across the Hudson. Hotel rates there are about 70% cheaper than the city...

Thanx for the input.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you plan on staying across the river then you might be better off taking the train or subway to where you want to go rather than trying to find a parking garage. You will also save the tolls crossing into New York.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There used to be a deli called Wolf's in Manhattan that had the best Reuben sandwiches that I have ever eaten. It is enough for 2 people. I believe that there are other locations in the burrows of New York. There is also a diner or restaurant around the corner from the Plaza that has inexpensive breakfasts that are good. I don't recall the name off hand. Wolf's isn't cheap, but the food is very good. It is smart staying across the river. Hotels in NYC are VERY expensive.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Board Icon

It sounds like it would be rather expensive to visit New York. :hellno:
I think I'll stay where I'm at. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

About 20 years ago I had a business meeting in New York. I stayed at the Plaza. I received a discount on the room, but it still cost about $140/night. The regular rate was over $200. I missed the price discounts offered by the airlines so I decided to drive. Had I parked at the hotel where I was staying it would have cost $40/night......FOR MY CAR!!!! The people with whom I was meeting found a garage about 5 blocks away that I believe cost $27/night. Granted, it was Manhattan, but the garage where I parked had a monthly rate of about $600. No wonder so many people in New York don't own a car. New York is a very expensive place to visit or live. I don't see how most blue collar people can afford to live in the city.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
I am staying in Jersey, across the Hudson. Hotel rates there are about 70% cheaper than the city...

Thanx for the input.
Find a park and ride New Jersey Transit commuter rail station.
New Jersey Transit - Home

Take the train to NY Penn Station.

You're right in the middle of Manhattan (33rd. St., bet. 7th and 8th Ave) for less than the cost of an hour's parking in some Midtown garages.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:56 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
About 20 years ago I had a business meeting in New York. I stayed at the Plaza. I received a discount on the room, but it still cost about $140/night. The regular rate was over $200. I missed the price discounts offered by the airlines so I decided to drive. Had I parked at the hotel where I was staying it would have cost $40/night......FOR MY CAR!!!! The people with whom I was meeting found a garage about 5 blocks away that I believe cost $27/night. Granted, it was Manhattan, but the garage where I parked had a monthly rate of about $600. No wonder so many people in New York don't own a car. New York is a very expensive place to visit or live. I don't see how most blue collar people can afford to live in the city.
Am paying 65 per night here in Ridgfield, NJ, parking included but i have a Corporate Lodging card. Regular rate id 100...