User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default re-introduction

My husband worked for TMC for a short time, finished their on the job training and on his first day on his own he made 2 mistakes both of which led to needing to be towed and his being fired. Since April 2006, he has been working for a local armored car company, first as a driver but now as a "jumper" which means he rides in the back of the armored car and jumps out at each destination to do what he needs to do. Recently, he also is "on call" every night for a week such that when he gets a call, he goes out and performs small repair jobs on ATMs - this is about every other week and he gets extra pay on the weeks he is on call. He works 6 days a week for more than 8 hours a day but he is home every day.

Michelle T. aka Pegasus - JET-Lag's Wife
Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Rookie
Default Just saying hi

Hi y'all. My hubby is a Owner Operator. He has been at it for going on 3 years. It sure has it's ups and downs. We went from being together 24-7 to never seeing each other. Talk about a major change. I think it was harder on me then the kids. I work full time, and we have two kids a girl and a boy The daughter is 8 and our son is 5. Fun ages but wish they didn't fight so much. Well, I just thought I'd day hi and say a little about me. I am married to Superfly he is a member on this board also dunno if he has posted anything he mostly reads on most boards that we are members of this is the only trucking on I am a member of.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM

I've just acquired my Class A and am pounding the pavement looking for a seat, pulling a tank preferably. Superior is my first choice, but they're not hiring in Atlanta at the moment :-(

I've talked with another tank outfit, they are interesting and interested in me, but again, they have no empty trucks at this time.

I'm about the fittest 55 year old you're likely to meet and hope to drive for at least 10 years if they'll let me in the door! I play some golf, but I think the handicap is going to suffer once I hit the road.

I'm looking forward to some interesting experiences as I start logging some miles.

Phil
Old 04-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Just saying hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfly
Hi y'all. My hubby is a Owner Operator. He has been at it for going on 3 years. It sure has it's ups and downs. We went from being together 24-7 to never seeing each other. Talk about a major change. I think it was harder on me then the kids. I work full time, and we have two kids a girl and a boy The daughter is 8 and our son is 5. Fun ages but wish they didn't fight so much. Well, I just thought I'd day hi and say a little about me. I am married to Superfly he is a member on this board also dunno if he has posted anything he mostly reads on most boards that we are members of this is the only trucking on I am a member of.

Welcome Ladyfly,

It's great to see other trucker's wives reading and sharing,

Seasons the pot.

Happy to help and support.

TW
Old 04-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: re-introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETLags Wife
My husband worked for TMC for a short time, finished their on the job training and on his first day on his own he made 2 mistakes both of which led to needing to be towed and his being fired. Since April 2006, he has been working for a local armored car company, first as a driver but now as a "jumper" which means he rides in the back of the armored car and jumps out at each destination to do what he needs to do. Recently, he also is "on call" every night for a week such that when he gets a call, he goes out and performs small repair jobs on ATMs - this is about every other week and he gets extra pay on the weeks he is on call. He works 6 days a week for more than 8 hours a day but he is home every day.
Thanks for the update JetLag Wife...

Thats the nice part... right there. :wink:
Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Rookie
Default New Member

Hello all. New Memner .. one more thing to keep me busy during down time I guess. I ama Canadian Owner/Operator based out of Belleville, ON, Canada. Been inthe business about 12 years with a 3 year break from 2002- 2005. Got back in and went OTR -US .. and love it. 3 years now. I was an O/O before the 3 year break, and like many of the fools at the time wasnt prepared for the fuel increases back in 2000 and 2001 which led to my demise as an O/O back then. Working on my second chance now and its much better despite the fule prices. Its all abotu working for the right company I guess. Anyway, feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Dozer69
Old 04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Board Member

eh Welcome Dozer,

sorry bad atempt at Canadian accent in writing. :lol:
Please share your mistakes as well as success, makes for great reading and schooling for the newbies. Good to have you.

TW
Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 AM
Rookie

Hello folks,
I am a newbee here as well but just found this thread.
I am from vegas (what happends in vegas .......never happened), and have been driving a year now. I was born in Okinawa and have grown up most of my life in vegas. I really don't care for this otr much and want to get a local job, but all of a sudden the economy slows down and there is more compitition for local jobs that pay well. You need about 22-25 an hour to live in vegas these days. So here I sit. I am driving for Knight right now and just had my app for crete turned down. Maby the grass isn't greener on the other side. Its really tough out here. If you work hard and get miles, then go home 2-4 days a month, then you have just written off about a whole week of income. I may try to go either with May, or Pride, or Interstate in a while.
Anyway I am learning a lot reading the forums.
Catch you later, Pete
Old 05-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Rookie

HEY, I'M KEVIN FROM CHICO CA., FOUND THIS SITE WHILE DOING SOME RESEARCH ON GOOD COMPANIES TO DRIVE FOR, AND GOING RIGHT TO THE SOURCE IS THE BEST INFORMATION. I'M AN OLD FART 54, I DID MY 25 YEARS AS A CALIFORNIA STATE TROOPER, TOOK A FEW YEARS OFF IN THE 90'S AND DROVE LONG HAUL, THEN WENT BACK. I'M RETIRED NOW AND BETWEEN EMPTY NEST AND BORDOM I HEARD THE ROAD CALLING ME. I'VE GOT NOTHING TO LOOSE AND LOVE TO TRAVEL AND DRIVE I FIGURE YOU GET OUT OF THINGS JUST WHAT YOU PUT INTO THEM. I HAVE NO HIGH EXPECTATIONS OR FALSE HOPES, JUST LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST. I'M HERE IN DALLAS TX. WITH A BUDDY OF MINE TO START TEAM DRIVING, AFTER ORIENTATION. WILL LET U ALL KNOW HOW IT GOES. :roll:
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBREAK
HEY, I'M KEVIN FROM CHICO CA., FOUND THIS SITE WHILE DOING SOME RESEARCH ON GOOD COMPANIES TO DRIVE FOR, AND GOING RIGHT TO THE SOURCE IS THE BEST INFORMATION. I'M AN OLD FART 54, I DID MY 25 YEARS AS A CALIFORNIA STATE TROOPER, TOOK A FEW YEARS OFF IN THE 90'S AND DROVE LONG HAUL, THEN WENT BACK. I'M RETIRED NOW AND BETWEEN EMPTY NEST AND BORDOM I HEARD THE ROAD CALLING ME. I'VE GOT NOTHING TO LOOSE AND LOVE TO TRAVEL AND DRIVE I FIGURE YOU GET OUT OF THINGS JUST WHAT YOU PUT INTO THEM. I HAVE NO HIGH EXPECTATIONS OR FALSE HOPES, JUST LIVING LIFE TO THE FULLEST. I'M HERE IN DALLAS TX. WITH A BUDDY OF MINE TO START TEAM DRIVING, AFTER ORIENTATION. WILL LET U ALL KNOW HOW IT GOES. :roll:
Welcome to CAD Kevin,

Ok, so you want to get into trucking? Questions you should ask yourself.

How much do you care for camping? and team driving?

How well do you get along in close quarters to others?

Driving on Amercian Roads is stressful, I get t'ed off just going shopping when dumb dumb, with a handicap sticker, cuts me off, crossing two lanes of traffic to do so. :evil: , as a trucker you have to put up with twice as much stupidity, 100x more often then me, while driving a BIG rig. I am sure you know all this but keep it in mine while you day dream about the "open road" vacation thats calling you. :wink:

oh and one other thing, :wink: turn off the caps.(in cyber land it means your yelling)

Don't hesitate to ask if you need help.

Trukrswyfe