User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I keep my squelch turned all the way up unless I really need info. Once I get the info needed it goes right back up. I usually only turn it on when going into the quarries then turn it back off once I'm out but sometimes I will keep it on just for the heck of it.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member

okay.... i just upgraded from my POS Cobra 29LTD Classic to a Galaxy dx959. Bought it just today. Guy checked it out for me at his stand (bought it at a CB shop...a used one), and he set it up for me, and said it all checks out. Now i know i get out, and can receive pretty well. I was 7-10 miles away, and could still talk to the CB shop, VERY VERY weak, but could still hear em.

Question is, how exactly do you set up your SWR again, and all that crap?? I liked the 29LTD....it was basic, with no bells and whistles. This galaxy has all that "talkback" and "roger beep" crap on it, and more knobs than knobs on this website. =) anyway, anyone with the same radio that could help me out.....

I know eventually i'll upgrade the coax and the antenna, seeing how its the el-cheap-o stock company garbage.

i dont want to talk to the moon, but i do want to talk atleast a mile or two away.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
okay.... i just upgraded from my POS Cobra 29LTD Classic to a Galaxy dx959. Bought it just today. Guy checked it out for me at his stand (bought it at a CB shop...a used one), and he set it up for me, and said it all checks out. Now i know i get out, and can receive pretty well. I was 7-10 miles away, and could still talk to the CB shop, VERY VERY weak, but could still hear em.

Question is, how exactly do you set up your SWR again, and all that crap?? I liked the 29LTD....it was basic, with no bells and whistles. This galaxy has all that "talkback" and "roger beep" crap on it, and more knobs than knobs on this website. =) anyway, anyone with the same radio that could help me out.....

I know eventually i'll upgrade the coax and the antenna, seeing how its the el-cheap-o stock company garbage.

i dont want to talk to the moon, but i do want to talk atleast a mile or two away.
The CB Radio Talk Forum • Portal for all c.b. info. proffessionals there.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member

thanx for the link.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 View Post
I have always thought that the CB shops and truck stops need to give some sort of screening test to anyone that wants to by CB stuff just to make sure the buyers are responsible and adult enough to handle having the things. Child like super CB bandits are among some of the most annoying things out on the road.
+1

Kev, setting your SWR isn't too hard, but it does depend on the kinda of antenna system you have.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 View Post
I have always thought that the CB shops and truck stops need to give some sort of screening test to anyone that wants to by CB stuff just to make sure the buyers are responsible and adult enough to handle having the things. Child like super CB bandits are among some of the most annoying things out on the road.
:hellno: :hellno:

If they did that, the lack of potential buyers who could pass the screening process would kill their chances of selling very many CB's!!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Board Icon

I keep my radio on. In fact, I talked to Bald Eagle a while back. He was heading out to Lubbock, and I was heading back. There are some Fed Ex guys that I talk to that have big radios. It's amazing how far some of their radios can get out. I don't see anything wrong with having a big radio. As long as you don't bother folks with all the play toys. Talking to someone that has a big radio is nice in places where there isn't much traffic.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member

yeah, like that roger beep and the talkback. Think some drivers use that crap just because one of their divorced parents didnt pay enough attention to them as a younger child. Now they need to be noticed. Either that, or they have a personal preoccupation with 'size'. =)

it would be GREAT to have a radio i can talk to a driver for 5-10 minutes going the other way, rather than getting or asking a question, and having to hurry with a cliff-notes version of an answer because i have no range.

As far as the Galaxy, what is a good antenna to throw on it? also, what about the coax? nickel plated, gold or platnum? lol
Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Board Icon

Talkback is when you hear yourself, when you key up. It's a little transister that relays what is transmitted, back through the external speaker. Some of the higher priced radios have an on/off switch, and talkback is installed from the factory. Or, if you don't have talkback, a CB guy can solder one in your radio. I've got talkback in mine. It helps me to know how much echo I've got.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I’ll bet Ray is lurking and writing all of your names down. I know we’re overdue for a copy and paste letter from Big Brother on the $10,000 fine some poor schmuck got smacked with for talking ‘big’. :rofl: